Post your bike pics!!!

2000 R1, 2003 FJR. I had to quit riding several years ago (rode for 42 years) because of collateral damage to my cochlea from CyberKnife radiation to blast a skull base tumor. I've ridden a bit on the FJR since then, but the R1 I had to let go. I fell again today (not on the bike), have to use a cane for balance, so I think I'm not going to tempt the grim reaper and quit before I kill myself, or someone else...(sigh).

Riding motorcycles was an addiction, especially high-powered sport bikes for the last 25 years, and I was 56 in the R1 piccy. I can't fly any more either.

Chen, that custom V-Max sure brought back some memories. Original ZX900 Ninja I had, seems like '83 or '84. I really liked that bike.

Here's a link I call "dragging hard parts" on the FJR. Most done with my wife on board, but some done with me solo. She used to hate the scraping sounds. I scraped the can on my R1 once, solo. Felt I was at the edge with no room for error. Skins for the R1 usually lasted me 1500 miles and spent close to 3 grand the first year I had it, including mounting and balancing. Edges wore-out faster than the center. Slowed for the straights, and nuttin' but loud handle in the corners.

Dragging Hard Parts Photos by r1derbike | Photobucket

Finally, a piccy of my lovely wife Petra:

Link Removed

My first bike was a Honda 50 in 1969. I planned to go to woodstock on it, but at age 14, my parents thought it may be a bad idea...

Damn, I'm sorry you aren't able to ride like you want anymore... I agree, motorcycles are an addiction. At my last base, where we had some awesome mountain roads and a track an hour away... I pushed the limits almost every weekend. Back then, I also had an '05 ZX636 with a few mods (nothing major) that I thrashed the hell out of! Since we moved in 2012 I've cooled the jets a bit and the SV does everything I need it to do, sport bike wise. In reflection, I realize that one of the driving factors for why I rode so fast and dangerously was I had just done a tour in Afghanistan... I had a hard time filling the adrenaline void left after coming home. To this day and for the rest of my life, I will attest that there is no high like the one you get during a firefight... Damned if I didn't try though...

Anyway, thanks for telling us a little about yourself.

Cheers, brother.

I had the Shadow Spirit 750 before I had the VTX. I loved that bike too. Then again, I really haven't had a bike I haven't loved. :smile:

This very true! I just love riding and can have a blast on anything! I loved my Rebel 250 way back when... I enjoy sport bikes, cruisers, dual sports, dirt bikes and scooters (that's right!).

Link Removed

The wife and I in the Smokies... Tail of the Dragon.
Wolf, my dentist's assistant rode the dragon regularly. She had a 'zuki and her husband would just let her go at it and catch her later.

I always wanted to tackle the dragon, but probably would have gotten caught-up in the mob sportbike mentality, and pushed my luck in a corner. I never got comfortable with the R1's rear steppin' out a bit, but cherished leaving darkies in the corners. Sometimes those behind me would pull-up at a stop and tell me they would see smoke coming from my rear tire after hitting the apex and hammerin' out. Those years riding dirt bikes helped with that.

Biggest complaint with the R1 was the front end. When it was barely skimming the road, it was a very uneasy feeling. It would have been much happier to just be in the air slightly, and I think later models of the R1 addressed this issue, so the front end travel allowed it off the ground more. It felt like a tank-slapper could happen at any moment. Would sometimes have the wagging head issue, but hard on the throttle cured that quickly, by getting the front end in the air. Many put a steering damper on the front end, but I wasn't willing to spend big bucks to put a bandaid on the problem.

Nice form on that corner...especially the single finger on the front brake. Never used the rear brake much except trailin' to setup the skittish chassis for a corner.

Most fun I ever had was following Doug Polen and his street Ducati here in northwest Arkansas. I have never ridden so fast, and felt uneasy for a while until nerves settled. The speed was relative at that point, with so many riders hangin' it out. Couldn't sleep for two days from adrenaline overload. Getting a "nice job" keepin' up from Doug made my day. Looking back, it was a miracle no incidents happened, and no LEOs messed with us. Man, what a day! Got home and my wife asked why my eyes were dilated. Looked at 'em in the mirror, and she was right; adrenaline overload.

ra2ygyqy.jpg
u4esa3e6.jpg
aqenujyq.jpg

My vstar 1300 and my dads Indian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf, my dentist's assistant rode the dragon regularly. She had a 'zuki and her husband would just let her go at it and catch her later.

I always wanted to tackle the dragon, but probably would have gotten caught-up in the mob sportbike mentality, and pushed my luck in a corner. I never got comfortable with the R1's rear steppin' out a bit, but cherished leaving darkies in the corners. Sometimes those behind me would pull-up at a stop and tell me they would see smoke coming from my rear tire after hitting the apex and hammerin' out. Those years riding dirt bikes helped with that.

Biggest complaint with the R1 was the front end. When it was barely skimming the road, it was a very uneasy feeling. It would have been much happier to just be in the air slightly, and I think later models of the R1 addressed this issue, so the front end travel allowed it off the ground more. It felt like a tank-slapper could happen at any moment. Would sometimes have the wagging head issue, but hard on the throttle cured that quickly, by getting the front end in the air. Many put a steering damper on the front end, but I wasn't willing to spend big bucks to put a bandaid on the problem.

Nice form on that corner...especially the single finger on the front brake. Never used the rear brake much except trailin' to setup the skittish chassis for a corner.

Most fun I ever had was following Doug Polen and his street Ducati here in northwest Arkansas. I have never ridden so fast, and felt uneasy for a while until nerves settled. The speed was relative at that point, with so many riders hangin' it out. Couldn't sleep for two days from adrenaline overload. Getting a "nice job" keepin' up from Doug made my day. Looking back, it was a miracle no incidents happened, and no LEOs messed with us. Man, what a day! Got home and my wife asked why my eyes were dilated. Looked at 'em in the mirror, and she was right; adrenaline overload.

That vacation in the Smokies was one of my favorites. I had just bought that bike and that was the first summer. I put 5500 miles on it that summer. *big grin*

Believe it or not, the Tail of the Dragon wasn't the most fun road. We also went to Suches, GA (two wheel only campground). We had to take GA state route 180 (Wolf Penn Gap Road). It was nothing but down hill twisties. I was white knuckling it the whole time while my wife was just laughing her head off silly on the back. I swear that road made the Dragon look straight. lol

Thanks about the form. Many schools of thought on that.

Back to the Dragon though, the coolest thing is they have professional photographers at some of the best curves taking pictures of all the people flying through. When you get to Deal's Gap they have tents set up where you can see your pics and order them if you like. I figured I'd never again have the chance to have my pic taken in mid twistie again. :smile: On the other side of the street in Deal's Gap they have the Tree of Shame. Hanging from it are motorcycle parts of all those whose perceived ability was greater than their actual ability.

If you ever get the chance, especially with your "hard draggin" experience, go down and tackle the Dragon. It's a blast.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Hey Chen, it's been so long since I've even looked closely at a stock scooter, what is the "Slim," like a next-generation Fat Boy kinda? Nice lookin' ride anyway. Kinda weird seeing a regular foot-peg mounted above a floor-board though. I can't really make out where the brake pedal is, but it looks kind of awkward to find a comfortable foot position where you can still easily access the brake.

So was that ride from WA or OR to Jackson Hole? I love mountain riding, man. And coastal runs too. And desert runs. Heck, I love it all man! I've done Sturgis 12 times. From the LA area three times, from the Seattle area (Carnation to be precise) twice, and all the rest from here. I always try to find the most mountainous route, which was easy from the West coast departure points, but it's tough down here. The Ozarks are cool, but after that, you have to fly straight and level for a thousand miles or more before you hit the Bad Lands and the mountains right outside Rapid City and Sturgis. A partner and I built a mobile dyno and took it to Sturgis for three out of the seven years I've gone up there from here. It was good because we made a ton of dough, but it was kind of a drag because we could never get out and ride, so the partner bought me out and built a real live build-shop on his property. We built the two yellow bikes below in that shop over the next couple of years. Both were bought as retired cop bikes at auction out of Nashville. Spent a little over $8K for the pair of 'em. Did all the engine work and paint myself, and polished my wife's cylinder-fins after they were powder coated so they gleamed like silver goin' down the road. Both of these bikes had light bars, sirens and saddle bags on 'em when I brought 'em home from auction. I don't know, I think they came out alright....what do y'all think?

Hers was a '98 FXRP, taken just after the first paint job, but before the powder coating and engine work:

FoxyBikerette.jpg

After really hitting it in the custom shop it had Branch heads, .80 over top end job, Andrews cam, powder coated jugs and rocker boxes, chromed lifter blocks, inner primary and brake and clutch reservoirs:

HerFXR-RtSide-Close.jpg

HerFXR-Built-RtFront.jpg

HerFXR-JugsPrimary.jpg

Mine was a '97 FXRP. Good grief, I couldn't begin to list all the mods to this bike. Like the Softail in my last post, it had super high-quality (Brown's) chrome on everything. Harmonic balancer on the crank shaft that made it purr like a (lion) kitten at 3400 RPM with virtually zero vibration. All the internals were aftermarket, including high-compression pistons, titanium rods and push-rods, shaved heads and on and on and on and on.....Was kind of a head-turner too:

MyFXR-RtFront-1.jpg

MyFXR-LeftSide.jpg

This was on the way to Sturgis '99 I think, maybe '00. GW was driving the van towing the dyno with her bike loaded on it. I much prefer right-side pics of my bikes, but this was the best one she got because somehow she couldn't keep the side-mirror of the van out of the shot when I was on her left side. Another trip that overflows the memory banks, including me and the partner getting hit by lightening just over the SD state line. Hurt like Hell, but neither of us went down, and both of us were wide awake for the last couple of hundred miles, that's for sure! LOL

MyFXR-GDTR-LeftSide.jpg

Some of my airbrush skills on display:

ViewFromTheTop.jpg

And the ubiquitous engine compartment profile shot:

MyFXR-RtSide-Close.jpg

I still have at least one more bike uploaded in my Photobucket, but I'm going to try to find some pics to scan and upload to add to it before I post 'em up.

'Scuse me guys......Yeah Honey, I'm making a post, whatcha need? Oh! HAHAHAHA! That was GW wanting to know if I smelled rice burning too! LOL Have fun y'all.

Blues

Wow...just wow! Showbikes! Those are works of art.

Rice burning? That's really the oil leaking from V-twins and burning on the exhaust headers.:jester:

s
That vacation in the Smokies was one of my favorites. I had just bought that bike and that was the first summer. I put 5500 miles on it that summer. *big grin*

Believe it or not, the Tail of the Dragon wasn't the most fun road. We also went to Suches, GA (two wheel only campground). We had to take GA state route 180 (Wolf Penn Gap Road). It was nothing but down hill twisties. I was white knuckling it the whole time while my wife was just laughing her head off silly on the back. I swear that road made the Dragon look straight. lol

Thanks about the form. Many schools of thought on that.

Back to the Dragon though, the coolest thing is they have professional photographers at some of the best curves taking pictures of all the people flying through. When you get to Deal's Gap they have tents set up where you can see your pics and order them if you like. I figured I'd never again have the chance to have my pic taken in mid twistie again. :smile: On the other side of the street in Deal's Gap they have the Tree of Shame. Hanging from it are motorcycle parts of all those whose perceived ability was greater than their actual ability.

If you ever get the chance, especially with your "hard draggin" experience, go down and tackle the Dragon. It's a blast.

Link Removed
I've seen that tree in shots! I used to take the Pig Trail in 2nd and 3rd gear only. I could have just left it in 3rd gear for the duration, but uphill hairpin wheelies were fun, especially leaning over the front of the bike. Downside? People off their bikes and at the watering hole could hear me coming for miles. I always wondered why many of them were outside with their beer as I came streaking-by at velocity. There is one off-camber, steep, decreasing radius curve that caught many bikers off guard. I would scrape everything on the FJR, and the feelers on my R1 on that curve. It was such a steep incline/decline, when you bottomed-out it actually hurt from suspension on the bump stop rubber.

My wife was on the back of my FJR one ride, catching falling leaves, upsetting the bike and my lines, and it pissed me off so much I hoisted the front-end on the FJR and let her look at the 12 o'clock sun through my windshield for a bit. That cured that problem. The FJR is a powerful sport-tourer, but getting back on the R1 after an FJR outing was worth the joint pain and cramped quarters. They should outlaw bikes with that kind of power!

An acquaintance of mine got his blue R1 stuck in a tree on Hwy 62 to Eureka Springs. Guy in front of him low sided, and he had nowhere to go except over the bank. Very steep drop. He said a friend of his tried to help him lower it to the ground, but it got away from them and fell to the ground, adding insult to injury. This guy was a freak on that R1. He stepped off the pegs at over a hundred miles an hour when his wheelie got past vertical, and destroyed the bike and portions of his body.

Never had the desire to kill my self with crazy stunts...just roast tires in short order, and the occasional wheelie (I don't know, occifer...the front end just came up). Being old and a curmudgeon helped. Both my brother and I got our R1s at the same time, and it was unanimous that we would have killed ourselves if those bikes were available in our teens. I asked my dealer the average age of R1 owners sold at his place and he said 45.

Trek Fuel EX 9.5 with full Shimano XTR groupo ($7,000)
treknew.jpg

Kuota Kebel with SRAM Red groupo ($6,000)
kebel.jpg

Old CroMo Tange No.2 framed roadbike circa 1986 with a few upgrades
rednew.jpg

Trek Fuel EX 9.5 with full Shimano XTR groupo ($7,000)
treknew.jpg

Kuota Kebel with SRAM Red groupo ($6,000)
kebel.jpg

Old CroMo Tange No.2 framed roadbike circa 1986 with a few upgrades
rednew.jpg

Whoa, dude! You've dropped that much money on those bikes? Also, I appreciate the humor in your post (assuming there was, if not... I made my own).

Whoa, dude! You've dropped that much money on those bikes? Also, I appreciate the humor in your post (assuming there was, if not... I made my own).

Gunner, the post does say "Post your bike pics!!!", not motorcycle. :smile:

I have a friend of mine who bought a Simoncini frame (just the frame, nothing else) for about $3500. He absolutely loves riding bicycles.

Plus wasn't this the first Harley?

Link Removed

Current Bike

Link Removed
2005 Shadow Spirit.Hoping for a trike come spring.I'm getting too old to hold the bike up.lmao Anyway,that's the reason I'm going with.

Gunner, the post does say "Post your bike pics!!!", not motorcycle. :smile:

I have a friend of mine who bought a Simoncini frame (just the frame, nothing else) for about $3500. He absolutely loves riding bicycles.

Plus wasn't this the first Harley?

Link Removed

That's true... but, it is a thread in the "Motorcycle" section. Anyway, no biggie.... I thought it was funny.

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain that one. hehe yeah, I used to race bikes. Now it's just another hobby in my spare time to ride now and then.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back