Parent Open Carries in School

ctharry

My 2 sons come home from school and tell me there was a 'bad person' in school. Something to do with a gun is all they knew. This thoroughly pissed me off because as a parent you want info ASAP. Didn't find out all the facts until 2 hours later. Schools went on lock down for safety. Turns out there was a parent open carrying in the school. Which is legal in Michigan. School officials not taking any chances locked down the school and police sorted it all out. This happened in another city close to us recently. Seems like this causes a big head ache. Has anyone else run into this situation? If so, do you know how school officials have handled it? Maybe make some sort of improvements to the school system to handle it better?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

Not to seem nit picky, but if it's legal to open carry in a school, why is it a big problem? Or is it only legal to carry open outside of school zones? Most BGs most likely won't be showing off their weapon before entering the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

First of all, to answer drzzit's question it is legal to open carry in a school in MI if you have a CPL.

Some school districts in Michigan are using the threat of a lockdown to try to keep open carriers from entering school premises when armed. They are holding the education of students hostage as a way to keep carriers out since going into lockdown means that no teaching can take place. Grand Rapids Public Schools has implemented this policy recently.

There is a concerted effort in Michigan, spearheaded by MAIG, to do away with open carry entirely. Here is an editorial from the Grand Rapids Press that was published today:
Editorial: Brazen tactics by open carry advocates do little to spur productive debate | MLive.com

First of all, to answer drzzit's question it is legal to open carry in a school in MI if you have a CPL.

Some school districts in Michigan are using the threat of a lockdown to try to keep open carriers from entering school premises when armed. They are holding the education of students hostage as a way to keep carriers out since going into lockdown means that no teaching can take place. Grand Rapids Public Schools has implemented this policy recently.

There is a concerted effort in Michigan, spearheaded by MAIG, to do away with open carry entirely. Here is an editorial from the Grand Rapids Press that was published today:
Editorial: Brazen tactics by open carry advocates do little to spur productive debate | MLive.com

The problem with this article is, I guess they believe only police are the only ones that are to protect you. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Supreme Court say that the Police were not obligated to protect anyone? This newspaper needs to wake up and realize that the believers in the 2A are not going to submit to the nanny state and protect themselves.

The problem with this article is, I guess they believe only police are the only ones that are to protect you. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Supreme Court say that the Police were not obligated to protect anyone? This newspaper needs to wake up and realize that the believers in the 2A are not going to submit to the nanny state and protect themselves.

The Grand Rapids Press has been on the wrong side of the carry debate for years. Back in 2000, when we were voting on CPL expansion, their editors came out with an editorial claiming that blood would flow in the streets if we allowed more people to have access to CPL. A year later, they were forced to issue a retraction when, not only did blood not flow in the streets, crime began to trend down. They have issued other editorials since then making the same tired claims, only to have FBI and MSP data released that conclusively showed that crime, particularly violent crime, is at historic lows. The problem is that we have a mayor who is a card carrying member of MAIG, and he and his cronies have been slowly stacking the city government with others who believe like he does; the editorial board of the Press already believe like he does. It isn't about facts, it's about the agenda. Now they are trying to spread the idea that anyone who OCs is looking to make a political statement; since one of the dictionary definitions of "brandish" is, "To display ostentatiously," American Heritage Dictionary, they are now beginning to try to argue that open carry fits that portion of the definition. Those who OC are ostentatiously displaying their holstered firearm in order to make a public statement, not for the sole purpose of self defense, so in their warped way of thinking they are brandishing their firearm.

This war is really beginning to heat up here.

I fully support a parent open carrying into their kids school. i support open carry in general. I also support children being educated about guns and gun safety. We need to start teaching our kids that good guys carry guns too to protect other good guys from bad guys. Gun free zones are more dangerous simply because it handcuffs the good guys from defense.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else run into this situation? If so, do you know how school officials have handled it? Maybe make some sort of improvements to the school system to handle it better?

In WA state it is legal to open or conceal carry on school premises when picking up or dropping off a student (but not inside the building). I can tell you what has happened at the middle school and high school when I have dropped off and picked up my daughter while openly carrying on school grounds.... NOTHING.

Sound like the school administrators need serious counseling for an irrational fear of inanimate objects. Maybe they should read this scientific study:

"The study placed a collection of 240 firearms in a large room outfitted with a bulletproof observation window which allowed the scientists to monitor the firearms 24/7 for over four months. The collection of firearms included assault rifles, semi automatic pistols, hunting rifles, and BB guns while the control group, housed in another similar room, consisted of comically proportioned wooden dummy guns. The room was filled with cardboard cutouts of people, animals, and inanimate objects like cars and movie theaters to see which victims certain guns were likely to target.

The study was intended to provide data for future firearm restrictions in the state of New York and was to be used to decide which firearms to make wildly illegal.

The results, however, took an odd turn says Bob Clementine, the lead researcher and grant manager of the project. “We found very similar results with the most evil looking gun as we did with the funny looking dummy guns. A gun, regardless of it’s type, appears, by all scientific and measurable standards, to be inanimate and doesn't seem to be capable of evil or good.” He says the only action recorded in the room were the oxidation of metal and dust gathering, both of which pose no threat to human lives and is “incredibly boring to watch.”"

In Utah you can carry concealed in a school as long as you have a concealed license. In Coloradobyou can drive onto school property with your handgun, but the gun cannot leave the car. North Carolina jusr recently changed the law so that you can have the gun in your car when you drive onto school property, but the gun needs to stay in the car with you, or locked up in the car if you leave the car parked. So open carrying in a school ? Well, sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should. Have some discretion.

I think his problem lies here...

oops. I was going by his handle of NYwill15 and assumed NY was New York. I see now his location is listed as North Carolina....

That makes the sentiment that it is better to be disarmed in a school, rather than upset the administration over perfectly legal behavior even more disturbing.

In Utah you can carry concealed in a school as long as you have a concealed license. In Coloradobyou can drive onto school property with your handgun, but the gun cannot leave the car. North Carolina jusr recently changed the law so that you can have the gun in your car when you drive onto school property, but the gun needs to stay in the car with you, or locked up in the car if you leave the car parked. So open carrying in a school ? Well, sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should. Have some discretion.

Then I'm sure he would love this recent editorial from the Grand Rapids Press: Editorial: Brazen tactics by open carry advocates do little to spur productive debate | MLive.com

Complete hogwash.

I do, of course, want a school to overreact to any threat rather than under-react. However, a parent open carrying is not a threat.

I don't know this would be a tough call, even if allowed to OP in this instince I would have to say I would conceal, as a lot of schools and school personal are not ready for OP, now I have picked up my granddaughter from her HS several times while OP on my motorcycle, not a word was said the law is not specific, you can have a gun in the car but you cant leave the car with it???

I don't know this would be a tough call, even if allowed to OP in this instince I would have to say I would conceal, as a lot of schools and school personal are not ready for OP, now I have picked up my granddaughter from her HS several times while OP on my motorcycle, not a word was said the law is not specific, you can have a gun in the car but you cant leave the car with it???

In Michigan that is the case unless you have a CPL and openly carry the firearm. Concealed carry is not permitted on school property. I know, absolutely absurd, especially in this political climate. We are trying to get concealed carry on school property recognized (NOT PERMITTED, RECOGNIZED) under law. I say recognized because the right to carry is a natural right that is already protected under both the US and Michigan Constitutions - it isn't a right given to us by the gov't.

Right or wrong this is only going to end one way, one too many people is going to push the envelope and they’ll pass a law banning open carry on school property. I don’t object to open carry but I don’t think it’s the best choice every time. If you know doing it is going to cause a **** storm maybe you need to conceal. Unless of course you’re trying to stir up the ****, whichleads back to my original statement.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back