Parent Open Carries in School

Right or wrong this is only going to end one way, one too many people is going to push the envelope and they’ll pass a law banning open carry on school property. I don’t object to open carry but I don’t think it’s the best choice every time. If you know doing it is going to cause a **** storm maybe you need to conceal. Unless of course you’re trying to stir up the ****, whichleads back to my original statement.

Open carry with a CPL is the only legal way to carry a firearm in a school in MI. So, what you are saying, is that it is better to leave the gun in the car instead of carrying the firearm in the only way legal to do so because if you do carry the gun in the only way that is legal, then they will make it illegal to carry it. Or are you hinting that there is no reason to carry a gun in a school at all, because we all know shootings never happen in a school....

I'm sorry, that is just not a philosophy that I can embrace. I would rather have an action be illegal (because that can be fought in court) rather than just not engaging in a legal activity for fear the government will make it illegal if I do it.

Open carry with a CPL is the only legal way to carry a firearm in a school in MI. So, what you are saying, is that it is better to leave the gun in the car instead of carrying the firearm in the only way legal to do so because if you do carry the gun in the only way that is legal, then they will make it illegal to carry it. Or are you hinting that there is no reason to carry a gun in a school at all, because we all know shootings never happen in a school....

I think I made myself pretty clear, continue to open carry in a school and sooner or later they’ll ban it.

I'm sorry, that is just not a philosophy that I can embrace. I would rather have an action be illegal (because that can be fought in court) rather than just not engaging in a legal activity for fear the government will make it illegal if I do it.

Knock yourself out.

I think I made myself pretty clear, continue to open carry in a school and sooner or later they’ll ban it.

What difference would it make if they ban it or not if we are just supposed to leave the gun in our car to prevent the ban? Or is it better for those that would forget, "Oh, geez, would you look at that, I have this openly carried gun here on my belt that I forgot about."

Knock yourself out.

So to take your reasoning to its logical conclusion, continue to open carry, period, and sooner or later they will ban it. And then on to concealed carry, etc. Basically, I can take your argument and apply it to any of a number of Constitutional rights. So you would have us cease to exercise ANY of our rights that libs find objectionable, on the premise that such exercise will eventually lead to the banishment of the right. BTW, the OC fight is the fight that is being waged where I live in W. MI, and there are many on the other side who make the same argument that you make here. People find OC objectionable, so those who exercise it should stop carrying or be faced with being labeled as troublemakers or agitators.

What, exactly, are you doing on this forum? Most of us are here to FIGHT for our rights and the freedom to exercise them, not lay down and die.

So to take your reasoning to its logical conclusion, continue to open carry, period, and sooner or later they will ban it. And then on to concealed carry, etc.

But, in this instance, concealed carry is already banned - so not even the lame excuse that "you open carriers will get our concealed carry privileges taken away" holds water.

But, in this instance, concealed carry is already banned - so not even the lame excuse that "you open carriers will get our concealed carry privileges taken away" holds water.

I'm speaking in generalities here, not just relating to school carry. Eidolon is on a slippery slope, and what begins as a narrow attack on OC in schools will be generalized into broader attacks. That was my point with him. I can apply his logic to any number of Constitutional rights, the exercise of which liberals find offensive. His basic argument is, they find it offensive, our exercise of the right makes it more likely that they will attack the right, so the conclusion is that as long as I don't openly exercise the right, they have nothing to attack and maybe they will leave us alone.

And we know THAT ain't going to happen.

What difference would it make if they ban it or not if we are just supposed to leave the gun in our car to prevent the ban? Or is it better for those that would forget, "Oh, geez, would you look at that, I have this openly carried gun here on my belt that I forgot about."

So to take your reasoning to its logical conclusion, continue to open carry, period, and sooner or later they will ban it. And then on to concealed carry, etc. Basically, I can take your argument and apply it to any of a number of Constitutional rights. So you would have us cease to exercise ANY of our rights that libs find objectionable, on the premise that such exercise will eventually lead to the banishment of the right. BTW, the OC fight is the fight that is being waged where I live in W. MI, and there are many on the other side who make the same argument that you make here. People find OC objectionable, so those who exercise it should stop carrying or be faced with being labeled as troublemakers or agitators.

Let's see how it plays out.

What, exactly, are you doing on this forum?

Mostly killin' time

Navy you are more hard headed than I am in dealing with the CC only crowd. But since he didn't seem to understand boxxy, maybe he will get this golden oldie:

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Trollin’ Trollin’ Trollin’

Rawhide.

Full Lyrics

Trollin’, Trollin’, Trollin’
Rawhide!

Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies Trollin’
Rawhide!
Rain and wind and weather
Hell-bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good vittles, love, and kissin',
Are waiting at the end of my ride

CHORUS
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide

Navy you are more hard headed than I am in dealing with the CC only crowd. But since he didn't seem to understand boxxy, maybe he will get this golden oldie:

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin', be waiting at the end of my ride.

Thanks. I'm going to be singing that all night now. :p

Actually CharlesMorrison it is something to be proud of, it is call non-conformity, not being one of the sheeple, another face in the crowd.
~
eidolon, you're suggesting that in this case the citizen break the law and carry concealed instead of legally carry open as the law allows. Now just what kind of sense does that make, oh yeah you don't want to upset anyone by their seeing a scary gun.
~
As far as creating sh1tstorms our nation needs a few more of them being raised if it is going to bring the public to the realization that the government is not helping them keep their freedoms under the law.
~
I have been a non-conformist all my life and proud of it. Let the sh1tstorms begin.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Eidolon

Right or wrong this is only going to end one way, one too many people is going to push the envelope and they’ll pass a law banning open carry on school property. I don’t object to open carry but I don’t think it’s the best choice every time. If you know doing it is going to cause a **** storm maybe you need to conceal. Unless of course you’re trying to stir up the ****, whichleads back to my original statement.

Hey... wanna see how open carrying in places where some people are too afraid to because it might upset someone... You know.... pushing the envelope ... turns out?

How about the recent CADL v MOC Michigan appeals court ruling that prevents any "authority" (like a library authority, a transit authority, or even the downtown development authority) from having gun bans because an "authority" falls under Michigan's pre preemption law?

Michigan Legislature - Section 123.1102

This case didn't involve a school but a library yet there was even the scary (but perfectly legal) open carrying of a shot gun into that library in the mix of stuff that brought about this case. But the main thing to be learned from it is quite simple:

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

CADL v MOC

Link Removed

Originally Posted by NYwill15 View Post
So open carrying in a school ? Well, sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should. Have some discretion.

Translation:

"Doesn't matter if it is legal or not I don't like it so not only should you not do it but you should be ashamed of yourself if you do."

I never could understand the mental masturbatory logic of hoping to prevent more restrictions by not doing something for fear of causing more restrictions. Especially since History itself shows that more restrictions keep happening anyway. I hope people understand that there is no need for gun control laws if people are too afraid, or ashamed, to exercise their right to bear arms because fear and shame can be just as effective as laws.... if we we let our own fear and shame stop us from exercising that right.

People.....
The Anti's are going to take your guns, period,
It is with "a thousand little cuts" that they are succeeding.
They will never be happy.
They will never be satisfied.
They will never stop until the guns are gone from private hands.
The war against our Rights is being waged as we speak and you all better wake up and recognize it.

Before it's too late...

As long as I have breath in my body, this ground I stand on is safe. They will have to kill me to take it.

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I figure if they're that upset about it they can try to change the law. But as long as its legal there's really no issue and the critics should either quiet down or do something about it.

Ferris State University cancelled all their activities and sporting events because of a single shooting OFF CAMPUS. Overreact much?

Ferris State University cancelled all their activities and sporting events because of a single shooting OFF CAMPUS. Overreact much?

And because it was NEAR the campus, they still react as if it is basically a school-related shooting. Same thing with a shooting that took place NEAR the.campus of MSU the same day.

I figure if they're that upset about it they can try to change the law. But as long as its legal there's really no issue and the critics should either quiet down or do something about it.

They HAVE tried to change the law - we have been successful in holding them off so far. That's why Obama is going to rely on executive orders to do as much as he can, and rely on stacking the courts with his appointees to do the rest - although, in all fairness, the judge who ruled Connecticut's vaguely written gun control law constitutional was appointed by George HW Bush.

They HAVE tried to change the law - we have been successful in holding them off so far. That's why Obama is going to rely on executive orders to do as much as he can, and rely on stacking the courts with his appointees to do the rest - although, in all fairness, the judge who ruled Connecticut's vaguely written gun control law constitutional was appointed by George HW Bush.
Fed courts keep contradicting themselves too. Seems to be based on geographic location... NE = antigun rulings.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back