Open Carry with Concealed Carry Permit?

John23

I was told that if you have a CCW permit that you are not allowed to open carry. But I saw my CCW instructor open carrying during our class. I think it is more likely that the law is that if you are actually concealed carrying, then you can't open carry, rather than just having the permit. But I could not find any laws online about it.

Can someone shed light on this issue please?

Edit: Guys I haven't been on this forum for a while :laugh:. To end the confusion:unsure: I live in Reno, Nevada.

s/he may be a leo or have an open carry license?
but i'm still wondering if you do have a ccwp could we still carry it in an outer waist holster if it's covered well?

In Tennessee we are issued a Handgun Carry Permit. Law was written so people who conceal badly would not constantly be arrested. We can carry open or concealed.

LAWS MAY VARY STATE TO STATE.

sent from my sending device

In Virginia you don't need a permit to open carry. Anyone who can legally own a handgun can open carry it (where the law allows). If you get a CCP it means you are allowed to carry concealed or open (where the law allows of course.)

Guys that doesn't help, lol. I'll state the question again.........

If you have a CCWP is it illegal to open carry for you? OR rather is it just illegal to conceal carry and open carry?

Edit: at this point though, it sounds like that guy was full of crap.

John23:313842 said:
Guys that doesn't help, lol. I'll state the question again.........

If you have a CCWP is it illegal to open carry for you? OR rather is it just illegal to conceal carry and open carry?

Edit: at this point though, it sounds like that guy was full of crap.

Ill break it down for me (WA):

Open carry + permit = legal

Open carry - permit = legal

Concealed carry + permit = legal

concealed carry - permit = illegal
(although its constitutionally legal...so the infringement being unconstitutional makes the law illegal, its up to you what you want to abide by)

He may or may not be full of crap depending on where you guys live.

I was told that if you have a CCW permit that you are not allowed to open carry. But I saw my CCW instructor open carrying during our class. I think it is more likely that the law is that if you are actually concealed carrying, then you can't open carry, rather than just having the permit. But I could not find any laws online about it.

Can someone shed light on this issue please?

I will assume you live in nv, as I do. You need a permit to cc. There is NO law allowing open carry, nor forbidding open carry. I have a ccw so I choose to carry concealed, but if I choose to open carry, what is a cop going to do? ask for my ccw and then arrest me?
So the ccw does not impact in any way your ability to open carry. Did someone from the gun store tell you this? They are notorious for a lot of things, among them hating open carry and telling this very thing in their ccw classes.

Bottom line, anyone can open carry (assuming they are old enough, gun not stolen, etc. Those are other issues)

It depends entirely on your state! In Texas no open carry, ccw (chl, concealed handgun license, etc) means concealed. Now if you in your house or place of business, open carry is fine, but you can't just walk out the door open carrying. During the summer I prefer an owb concealed by a Hawaiian shirt. As long as its concealed from casual view your fine.

**AHEM**

See my previous post. VERY GOOD BREAKDOWN on the carry laws in Nevada, with linked references to the laws, Attorney General opinions, and all sorts of goodies.

You know, you will get more appropriate replies if you put in your location in your profile. At the moment you are not getting any response that suits your situation because everyone is putting in what is legal and what is not legal in their own state. Laws on carry, as well as other laws are varied from state to state. This is the reason why a legal eagle from Florida cannot practice his trade in Missouri or Washington nor New York.

To the OP: Where are you located? I heard the same rumor in regards to my State, looked into it and found it to be bogus. But it does depend on YOUR State.

If you have a NV CFP, you can still legally open carry.
Having a NV CFP does not limit your choice.

As an instructor serving both Michigan and Ohio, I must ask the question as to what state are you living in? Each state is different as to concealed and open carry. Your attorney general site of your state might shed light on your question. Also, you might try general search on the internet under OPEN CARRY (your state) and your AG site. Check out the maps section of USA CARRY for your state on both the Concealed Carry and Open Carry maps.

Related question with a slight twist: I have a CWP, I carry my handgun concealed under my jacket into a restaurant for dinner. Being that I live in Washington where open carry is legal, may I remove my jacket to sit down to eat? I would be transitioning from one legal mode of carry to another legal mode of carry essentially. Or do I have to choose one or the other each time I leave the house?

Location, location, etc.

I was just reading an article the other day that indicated at least one state requires a concealed permit to open carry. I was born and raised in Indiana, and you must acquire a carry permit, then you may carry it any way you wish. Arizona now has Constitutional Carry, where you may carry concealed without a permit. You only need the perm it if you travel to an opther state that honors Arizona's permit. Washington has CPL, but is also an Open Carry state, you do not need a permit to open carry, But you must have the license to carry concealed. Granolaland i will not even address, it gets my blood pressure soaring.

Last edited:
philpac33:314188 said:
Related question with a slight twist: I have a CWP, I carry my handgun concealed under my jacket into a restaurant for dinner. Being that I live in Washington where open carry is legal, may I remove my jacket to sit down to eat? I would be transitioning from one legal mode of carry to another legal mode of carry essentially. Or do I have to choose one or the other each time I leave the house?

You are fine. I do it all the time during the winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back