Open Carry with Concealed Carry Permit?

to the folks griping about not knowing where he's from, this IS in the Nevada section...
Yes...but we diving in here...are not all from Nevada...just saying...can we non-Nevadans have to get out now so you Nevadans can talk to co-Nevadans? OK...I'm out.

Yes...but we diving in here...are not all from Nevada...just saying...can we non-Nevadans have to get out now so you Nevadans can talk to co-Nevadans? OK...I'm out.

I will admit I did not even see this was in the Nevada section. But even if it is, as soon as the OP posts a question anywhere else, or replies to a post, he would still have the same issue with people not knowing where he is located.

It does show near the top of the page that this is "Nevada Discussion and Firearm News." I admit that I did not see that line and was also wondering where the OP lived and why he did not state his state. Now I know that he should not have needed to although it would not have hurt to add the words "in Nevada" somewhere in the post.

Last edited:
I was told that if you have a CCW permit that you are not allowed to open carry. But I saw my CCW instructor open carrying during our class. I think it is more likely that the law is that if you are actually concealed carrying, then you can't open carry, rather than just having the permit. But I could not find any laws online about it.

Can someone shed light on this issue please?
The guy who told you that was also seen hanging around the Dept of Motor Vehicles telling newly licensed drivers that they could no longer ride a bicycle.:laugh:

Ill break it down for me (WA):

Open carry + permit = legal

Open carry - permit = legal

Concealed carry + permit = legal

concealed carry - permit = illegal
(although its constitutionally legal...so the infringement being unconstitutional makes the law illegal, its up to you what you want to abide by)

He may or may not be full of crap depending on where you guys live.

That is how you brake it down. Sweet and simple and to the point.

To end the confusion I live in Reno, Nevada.

Okay, so I did some digging and found some mildly confirmed information. If you are explicitly open carrying, then you are fine. But at some point several people around the city had jackets that covered there guns and many were complaining that these people were quickly taking off their jackets, then putting them back on as a way to brandish. The CCW instructor I talked to said almost always the case gets thrown out, but officers have been known to hassle people. The advice I was given was to either keep the jacket on, or make it really obvious that you are open carrying. Everyone who has seen court cases first hand that I have talked to said the laws are just vague, so not only do people slip up, but LEO will go after people who have done nothing wrong because they don't really know either.

Not really the answers I wanted, but sounds like solid advice to me.

To end the confusion I live in Reno, Nevada.

Okay, so I did some digging and found some mildly confirmed information. If you are explicitly open carrying, then you are fine. But at some point several people around the city had jackets that covered there guns and many were complaining that these people were quickly taking off their jackets, then putting them back on as a way to brandish. The CCW instructor I talked to said almost always the case gets thrown out, but officers have been known to hassle people. The advice I was given was to either keep the jacket on, or make it really obvious that you are open carrying. Everyone who has seen court cases first hand that I have talked to said the laws are just vague, so not only do people slip up, but LEO will go after people who have done nothing wrong because they don't really know either.

Not really the answers I wanted, but sounds like solid advice to me.

Another great forum for open carry is opencarry.org as USA carry there is a section for each state. Nevada open carry.org if very active. If you are legal to own a gun, it is legal to open carry in NV. The CCW permit has no affect on open carry. Though I have a CCW for over 20 years, I open carry everywhere in Las Vegas, Henderson and many other parts of the state, OCed some in Utah and Arizona. Never had a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back