Open Carry at Wal*Mart

I feel so out of place open carrying. I feel like a target. From the police and any thug walking around. I hate feeling that way since it is our Constitutional right but unfortunately, that is just the way it is.

Patient: Doc, It hurts when I put my arm up like this.
Doc: Don't put your arm up like that....

Is there really any evidence to show that OC scares customers? Maybe in a PR it would, but states that already allow it are probably not full of antis to begin with. You might well get more customers who know they can OC, than ones that would be scared off by them.

I also don't understand how people can immediately write off people they see OCing as not being LEOs. I've seen cops wearing polo shirts and khakis carrying. They aren't obviously any different from anyone else, until they get in their car.

Michigan has always been an OC state, but we have more than our share of anti's here - which is one of the reasons we have had such difficulty getting rid of pistol registries, pistol purchase permits, and "gun free" zones. For many, unless you are in uniform, it is assumed that you must be up to no good; they don't assume that you are an off duty LEO. Here is what one news article related: "RiverTown Crossings in Grandville doesn't ban permit holders from carrying their weapons, but if a gun is spotted, the person will be asked to leave the premises. 'Typically, we involve the police at this point,' said Randy Zimmerman, general manager of the area's largest mall."

We have had a couple of incidents in which, despite our state laws (Michigan is a pre-emption state - state law pre-empts local laws and ordinances), LEOs have arrested people who were OC'ing and confiscated their firearms (note - in every incident the charges were eventually dropped and the firearms were returned because of the state law, but that didn't stop the LEOs from trying). One police chief (Grandville Police Chief Vern Snyder) made the following statement: "As soon as the gun becomes visible, then we end up with the public being concerned, and technically we may have a violation of the law, because the law doesn't allow people to display weapons where they are creating panic." Another misinformed LEO, trying to enforce his interpretation of a law that he doesn't even understand.

That is great. I would also prefer to shop where the law is respected and embraced.

Unfortunately, they ARE following the law. The law in most states says that businesses are private property and can declare themselves to be carry-free zones. But then, just because it is LEGAL doesn't make it CONSTITUTIONAL. We have that here in Michigan, and it is something I am working to change. I know people will disagree with me, and I am well aware of the case law that "establishes" this idea, but the FACT of the matter is that businesses are not private property in the same way as one's home. While a homeowner may have the right to prohibit carry on their property, I still argue that a business, which is by definition a place of public (not private) accommodation and commerce, should not.

open carry at Walmart

URL not working - getting 404 error.

Here are a couple of others, though:

Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards
No Guns = No Money: Let?s educate the masses! « The Snowball in Hell This is actually a 4"x6" "Business Owner Education Card" - VERY WELL DONE! Can be printed full color or B/W.

I've noticed most feel safer behind a person that open carry's they don't know who you are and assume you are an officer. A thief will conceal his weapon till the last moment.

Unfortunately, they ARE following the law. The law in most states says that businesses are private property and can declare themselves to be carry-free zones. But then, just because it is LEGAL doesn't make it CONSTITUTIONAL. We have that here in Michigan, and it is something I am working to change. I know people will disagree with me, and I am well aware of the case law that "establishes" this idea, but the FACT of the matter is that businesses are not private property in the same way as one's home. While a homeowner may have the right to prohibit carry on their property, I still argue that a business, which is by definition a place of public (not private) accommodation and commerce, should not.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Neither of those definitions have the word "public" in them. Can I see where you get your definition from?

Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (Link Removed) protects the rights of persons with disabilities in public accommodations. According to that Federal Law Wal-Mart and any business that provides goods and services to the general public is a public place. If it were private, they would not be have to meet the requirements of the ADA. It is not any more complicated than that until you bring in the anti-gun lawyers and legislators that want parse words and need someone to tell them what the definition of "is" is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back