One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
Very Interesting

I've read through this thread real carefully... to be sure of what is actually being said.
What I get is...
Those who carry with a round chambered do so for basically three reasons.
One is... To be ready. I have no problem with that. Isn't that why WE're carrying in the first place. In case.
Number B... No time to rack. Huh? If you're one of the ones who are carrying, aren't you suppose to be looking around already? You know... that "To Be Ready" part already mentioned? Aware of your surroundings and going ons? If you're going to be that surprised that you don't have time, maybe you need to slow down a bit and become more aware. Go ahead now a scream the "how to's and whys" something can happen so quickly. Do you walk down dark alleys or between cars, or where you can't move? If you do... then take the time to get into the next stage of awareness beforehand. But then this is just my thoughts on the matter. Is the BG going to surprise you or are you thinking... something doesn't seem right.? You know... being aware.
Item C... The weapon might malfunction... Wow! do you clean and take care of it? Do you use it? Hey... Why are you so worried that it might not work right but you know you will. That you will when you're just about to soil yourself. When you're going to act like Barney Fife. I know... training. Training is to get your mind and muscles to act in a certain way in a certain situation. So keep training and hope the "IT" happens as you have trained. Here's the page where you can check the 'training accidents' at Front Sight Training... Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Some of these guys are even LEO's... One with 10 yrs experience. You really think your weapon will malfunction if you rack a round before you do. Have you taken care of it? Practiced with it?
Seems to me that most of the reasons that you carry with one is why you shouldn't be.
Reasons not to have a round chambered... Safety
This wasn't to make any one upset... it was to just make you think. I'm really glad that you're so good at what you do. I really hope you all stay safe and NEVER need to pull a weapon in anger or as a reaction to some threat.
To those who think it will never happen to you (a ND) even though you have no idea how you will react to the SHTF, because you've trained... do not ever put down someone who thinks it could.
Sorry this got so long... it was just to get you to think about your own self.
Besides... the only one you need to convince in this argument is yourself. So what ever the reason you do or don't is up to you and only you. Why you do isn't why I do... or don't.
Sometimes I do and Sometimes I don't. I let WHAT I THINK IS NEEDED AT THE TIME GUIDE ME and I pray I don't ever need to.

Bear

My smoke detector has a good battery installed in it. I don't wait until I smell smoke to put the battery in and then hope that it works.

To me, carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is like not putting gas in your car until the engine starts to sputter and counting on that you will be close enough to a gas station when it happens.

Old school says that is incorrect. Clip is any device in which ammo is kept ready to use in the gun that does not require loading each individualy for use. Def: Any of various devices for gripping or holding things together, A cartridge clip.

Military term magazine is the place where loaded clips, powder, shells, torpedoes, missiles are stored. Def: A place where goods are stored, especially a building in a fort or a storeroom on a warship where ammunition is kept.
This term and use far outdates what current users/writers mean and should always be preceeded by box, tubular, removable, or drum to be in correct use for the device used in a gun.

So a person who uses the term clip to define the device holding the ammo for a 1911 or a M-16 is still correct.:biggrin:

It appears as if you are correct and I was wrong. :cray:

I own a glock 23 (40 caliber) All three safties are in the trigger. I got more accurate by changing the barrel and magazine to a lonewolf (9 MM). But, I feel more safe and comfee WITHOUT a round in the chamber. Practice, practice, and practice some more on pulling your weapon out and racking the slide (like all in one motion), timing yourself and than without racking the slide do the same draw. If your like me, it isn't a whole lot of time your giving up for the safty of NOT carring one in the chamber. One more thing to consider, of all the times you are going to pull your weapon IN SELF DEFENSE, will the bad guy be focused on YOU, if NOT, the time it takes to rack the slide probably won't matter. If he is focused on you, not having a round in the chamber, could very well have been a mistake ON YOUR PART, the chose and responsibility fall to you, FEELING LUCKY??? Good luck in your decision. As for me I will not only stay without a round in the chamber, but, I am going to a pocket pistol 380 (9mm short). A smaller gun will allow for a 24/7, 365 day carry. I will have to give up a lot (distancefrom fight-accuracy), (caliber/penitration), amount of ammo in the weapon, etc, etc., but feel having a weapon on hand (even a small one) is better than having a bigger one AT HOME in the gun safe, when I need it.

I really don’t understand why people freak out over carrying one in the chamber. My carry gun stays loaded and it stays in the holster. From the time I put it on in the morning to the time I put it on my nightstand at night I don’t touch it unless I have to. That cuts my chances of a negligent discharge to almost zero.

I maintain my weapons. I make sure they are cleaned and lubed in the 4 years I’ve owned my primary carry gun it has failed to feed exactly one time and thinking back that may have been a FTE. Either way the pistol is reliable.

That said, I am a close personal acquaintance w/ Mr. Murphy and even if the odds that my weapon will malfunction when I try to chamber a round under duress are a million to one if I can cut them to zero by the simple expedient of chambering a round beforehand why shouldn’t I?

For those that say “If you don’t have time to chamber a round your situational awareness isn’t up to par”. I want you to walk around chambering up and see how long it takes you to get MWAG’d. or you can take it from someone who’s actually had someone try to mug me he came out of hiding about 10 feet away from me, I didn’t see him until he stepped out. Try getting a round chambered that fast, I couldn’t

I believe the Israel Army requires NO ROUND in the chamber, obviously for safty and peace of mind, YOURS and MINE too!

Israeli Carry
Has absolutely nothing to do W/ the Iraelis "knowing what they're doing". It actually is the specific result of most of them NOT knowing what they were doing when the IDF was formed. They had a lot of different semiautos W/ different manuals of arms, and mostly fire arms illiterate troops. It was decided for safety to standardize condition 3 carry.

FWIW the Israelis no longer carry w/ an empty chamber

Man, this "round in the chamber" thing is common sense guys. If you don't feel safe, then don't do it. Its like people ask this because they are trying to check to see if its OK or something.

Yup, chamber one, don't chamber one, do what you want. As long as you don't shoot me in the foot with the darn thing it's okay. It's your gun, if you feel you want to carry it without a mag in, do that, too. Your gun, your rules. Just know what you are doing.

It's amazing how many people feel the compelling need to tell everybody else that they are fools and should do it THEIR way cause it's the only one.

Personally I carry a XD9 SC and so far without one in, but simply because I have a low threat life and have not yet had much chance to practice the draw and presentation. I am quite confident that the built in safeties are adequate.

one in the pipe

While I was being fingerprinted by the highway partrol when applying for my fire arm permitt we discussed carry guns, and he liked to carry the 1911. I told him that I was a little nervous about carrying a 1911 with one in the barrel and the hammer back. He said that if i didn't have one in the barrel and the hammer back, i didn't need to be carrying at all. I have been carrying for over a year now. I carry a Kimber with one in the pipe and the hammer back. It does not bother me anymore. Every gun should be treated as if there is one in the barrel.

Yes I do carry with a round in the chamber in my G23 all the times. No problem! Be confidence!

But exception it can be dangerous in accident discharge with 1911 firearm that it has hammer.

While I was being fingerprinted by the highway partrol when applying for my fire arm permitt we discussed carry guns, and he liked to carry the 1911. I told him that I was a little nervous about carrying a 1911 with one in the barrel and the hammer back. He said that if i didn't have one in the barrel and the hammer back, i didn't need to be carrying at all. I have been carrying for over a year now. I carry a Kimber with one in the pipe and the hammer back. It does not bother me anymore. Every gun should be treated as if there is one in the barrel.

I am not familiar with Kimbers, but one in the chamber and hammer back? Sounds scary to me.

I carry my XD with one in the chamber, but I feel safe because of the grip safety. Even if I have a brain fart and snag the trigger (which I don't), the grip safety saves the day. Hard to imagine ever snagging the trigger AND turning off the safety, short of actually grabbing the gun as if shooting.

One in the chamber and hammer back...sounds like an AD waiting to happen.

mistergus75

I am not familiar with Kimbers, but one in the chamber and hammer back? Sounds scary to me.

I carry my XD with one in the chamber, but I feel safe because of the grip safety. Even if I have a brain fart and snag the trigger (which I don't), the grip safety saves the day. Hard to imagine ever snagging the trigger AND turning off the safety, short of actually grabbing the gun as if shooting.

One in the chamber and hammer back...sounds like an AD waiting to happen.

mistergus75

He is referring to carrying an M1911A1 variant pistol in condition "one". That is a round in the chamber, hammer cocked (per the design on the gun) safety on and the very same grip safety you mentioned engaged. hundreds of thousands of AMerican carry similar weapons in this manner every day

Reasons not to have a round chambered... Safety

Sorry but with the invention of the transfer bar this point is entirely nullified for guns that have one.
This wasn't to make any one upset... it was to just make you think.
I do think.
And that thinking is why I bought a handgun with the transfer bar instead of one without.
I'm really glad that you're so good at what you do. I really hope you all stay safe and NEVER need to pull a weapon in anger or as a reaction to some threat.
Now why does that sound like Brady bunch rhetoric ?

If other people are scared of your gun because it is loaded, and you carry it loaded anyway, aren't you violating their rights?

If other people are scared of your gun because it is loaded, and you carry it loaded anyway, aren't you violating their rights?
Is this BS the best you can come with?
Let me know when you can stop grasping for straws to justify your complete disregard for the RIGHTS of business owners on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY.

No one has the RIGHT to tell me not to carry a gun on the STREET.
They DO have the RIGHT to tell me NOT to carry a gun on their PRIVATE property.

That you are unable to make the distinction is frightening.
You probably shouldnt carry a lethal weapon to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back