One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
That's one thing nice about the S&W 645 and others like it. With one in the chamber and the safety on, the gun is not cocked. And the hammer is blocked. Safety off and pull the trigger, cocks and fires. Next round is loaded and ready. Safety back on decocks the hammer and blocks a strike. Hammer is visible. And cockable if the safety is off.

One in the chamber

I'm new to USA Carry so don't know how many times this has been asked. I understand why a person may not carry w/ a round chambered especially if kids are around or if the weapon could be picked my someone w/ no experience. However, I believe those issues are completely the gun owner's responsibility.

I own a Springfield Armory XD Sub .40, a CZ 75 Police 9mm, and a Taurus Judge (which, while not very concealable, is my favorite pistol). All have rounds chambered. Personally, I make sure my weapons are secure, no one touches them but me, and the second it takes to chamber a round could be the last second of my life. I hope to never use my weapons to defend myself or family. But they are always ready should I be forced to do so.

Respectfully-

JJ

I don't simply for purposes of avoiding a negligent / accidental discharge. I train around un-holstering, chamber-ing, and firing.

Do you train around unholstering and chambering when the first thing the bad guy did was slice the hell out for your off hand?

Do you train around unholstering and chambering when the first thing the bad guy did was slice the hell out for your off hand?

Strong hand behind the back is a common L.E and advanced manipulation drill. Assuming their support hand (or even strong) hand are disabled or do not have the dexterity to chamber a round for whatever reason, there are ways to effectively manipulate a Semi-Auto, provided you've had that training and/or thought about and practiced (dry and live) doing so.

One handed with support hand I can draw, and fire taking only about .05 second more than strong handed. I can also load, chamber, and clear malfunctions 1 handed (weapon or support hand). It is definitely not preferred, nor efficient but it is possible.

I carry chambered but it is possible...

If a threat has a knife and has somehow managed to get in close proximity, my focus should be on creating as much stand off distance as possible and then later evaluating my lapse in situational awareness. That said, there's no excuse to have to pull your side arm that quickly. If your keeping your head on a swivel in a threat positive environment, i.e. a bad guy is just running in the door of a mom and pop, use the natural concealment of your environment to establish stand off distance and threat ID and evaluation. It you're at the counter and he's got a weapon in your wheelhouse, that's probably not the time to be drawing that holstered sidearm. Live to fight another day. This topic can be "what if'd" to death.

Having been a Concealed Carry permit holder in Alabama for many years, I decided - after much indecision- to chamber a round. It does, I believe, increase your burden of responsibility tremendously, but it also increases your chance of accomplishing your goal......that is being the one still standing once you have made the most frightening of all decisions.

I didn't when I first started carrying, but as I became more comfortable with my pistols and carrying them, I started putting a round in. I leave the Makarov and the Taurus 24/7 decocked since they work in double action mode, and the Kel-Tec P11 is double-action only. The trigger pulls are enough that there's little chance of an AD, and I prefer having it ready to go if it gets to the point that I need to use it.

I always keep a round in the chamber. I can't imagine any incident where an attacker will give you the timely luxury of racking the slide. However, I always carry a Ruger, be it semi auto or revolver, and I feel they are one of the safest guns to carry this way. No accidental discharges.

I carry a Glock 23 and being in CA. I am restricted to 10 round mags. I always load one in the chamber, pop out the mag and load an extra bullit. This way I can carry 11 rounds legally. I would never dream of not carrying a round in the chamber. Carrying consealed means extra time to draw and if someone is coming at you in full speed you don't need to waste time loading.

While this is a good idea, I think it may actually CAUSE a Negligent Discharge. The only way to check to see if there has been an accidental discharge (on a firearm without an external hammer) is to pull the trigger and see if it goes CLICK. Remember, the two loudest sounds in the world is a CLICK when you were expecting a BOOM and a BOOM when you were expecting a CLICK.

I don't know about others but I will NEVER dry fire a weapon unless I KNOW it is unloaded for certain. I don't mean it wasn't loaded at 8am when I put it on I mean I JUST removed the magazine and physically and visually inspected the chamber.

Not to say this idea is bad, just saying if you are going to do this maybe take a round of spent brass, put a little bit of masking tape over the primer, and at the end of the day eject the brass look at the primer (which is covered in tape) and see if the tape is dimpled....you can place the empty brass in the chamber with tape over it and pull the trigger the night before so you know what it'll look like if the firing pin did infact come in contact with the taped primer.

Not sure about the Glock, or the others that are similar in design. But the XD has a pin that protrudes from the back of the slide when it's cocked. You can both feel it sticking out and visually see it. But use of a snap cap with some kind of a marker is also a good way to tell.

I could also say that if you dont have the split second it takes to rack the slide you will probably be fighting off an attacker before you could even use your firearm.

I respectfully disagree.

I practice and can draw and fire a Mozambique with my Glock 26 into an IDPA target at 7 yards in 2.2 to 2.4 seconds starting with 10 in the magazine and one in the chamber. First round hits at about 1.4 seconds, split time on the first two shots is about 0.25 seconds, split to third shot is about 0.6 seconds. If I have to rack the slide it takes nearly a second longer to the first shot, thats 71% slower so I'd have to start with them quite a bit farther away - hard to build in another second of anticipation.

My old hands wtih chicken skin don't want to practice racking the slide either, and it introduces another chance for a malfunction after the attack has begun. Not good.

I don't see any reason to give my attacker the advantage of an empty chamber. The Glock 26 in the holster where it belongs is just fine with a round in the chamber. When I take it out of my IWB I put it in a pocket holster before I put it in the night stand drawer. It's on me, or in that drawer with me in bed, or locked in the safe if I've gone someplace it can't be carried.

Fitch

Removing one round will not reduce "clip wear"

I always carry with one in the chamber. That way the magazine is not fully loaded all the time... so the magazine spring won't wear out as quickly if the magazine isn't fully loaded all the time... :to_pick_ones_nose:

The repetition of compression and relaxation that wears a spring out. Left relaxed or compressed they will retain flexibility nearly indefinately. Removing one round from the clip will not reduce "wear". I have a 1911 clip from WWII that has been loaded at least since the end of the war. The spring works as well as a new clip. Use is what causes a spring to wear out; continued compression and relaxation causes metal fatigue. Some people alternate clips, some never use their practice clip for carry. A quality clip should last for several years even with a lot of use, with no use should last a lifetime.

racking slides has its downsides

I could also say that if you dont have the split second it takes to rack the slide you will probably be fighting off an attacker before you could even use your firearm.

It takes two hands to rack a slide and there is a possibility of a jam from an incomplete rack or feed problem. Safety is primary with any firearm; if you are uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber that's your perogative. I perfer having at least one free hand and the knowledge that my weapon is ready if I need to deploy it.

The repetition of compression and relaxation that wears a spring out. Left relaxed or compressed they will retain flexibility nearly indefinately. Removing one round from the clip will not reduce "wear". I have a 1911 clip from WWII that has been loaded at least since the end of the war. The spring works as well as a new clip. Use is what causes a spring to wear out; continued compression and relaxation causes metal fatigue. Some people alternate clips, some never use their practice clip for carry. A quality clip should last for several years even with a lot of use, with no use should last a lifetime.

1. Please see post #21.

2. Please see below:
ClipMagazineLesson.jpg

I don't carry my clips around. I use my clips to load my magazines with.

1. Please see post #21.

2. Please see below:
ClipMagazineLesson.jpg

I don't carry my clips around. I use my clips to load my magazines with.

Old school says that is incorrect. Clip is any device in which ammo is kept ready to use in the gun that does not require loading each individualy for use. Def: Any of various devices for gripping or holding things together, A cartridge clip.

Military term magazine is the place where loaded clips, powder, shells, torpedoes, missiles are stored. Def: A place where goods are stored, especially a building in a fort or a storeroom on a warship where ammunition is kept.
This term and use far outdates what current users/writers mean and should always be preceeded by box, tubular, removable, or drum to be in correct use for the device used in a gun.

So a person who uses the term clip to define the device holding the ammo for a 1911 or a M-16 is still correct.:biggrin:

Second thought

After being involved in this discussion I have givin it more thought and when carrying my S&W M&P .45 I will have one chambered from now on. I have always carried my Colt Combat Commander cocked and locked and when carrying a revolver this is no issue and since the trigger is blocked by the holster and I dont have the nasty habit of touching the trigger unless I have a target then what the hell!? Thanks to all for setting me straight

1. He was being sarcastic

2. 1911s are loaded from magazines M1 Garands are loaded from clips

I have always carried my firearm with a round in chamber !! I use a holster that uses no straps.You will be dead by the time you can chamber a round!.It only takes less than 3 seconds to pull & fire.My M&P's have no saftey only the leather that covers the trigger.I used my firearm once in ten years & stopped the threat but only because i had a round in chamber and no saftey.Take some classes by expierenced instructor's I am ready for the next time,quicker and more accurate than most cops who i normally shoot with.There is no reason to carry if you are not ready to shoot!Practice,Practice and survive.Good luck my brothers and sisters.:pleasantry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back