One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters

advw

Question, for the folks that carry pistols with no thumb safety, do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Is there anyone that does not have a round in the chamber when they carry? I don't have one in there for everyone else's safety just in case something were to happen, but I am just curious to what all of you do.

This question has been done to death. if you get 100 responses 87 of them will be people affirming that, yes, you should carry your weapon fully loaded. 3 will be people who don't carry one in the chamber for "safety". The final 10 will be people telling the 3 that they are idiots .

This question has been done to death. if you get 100 responses 87 of them will be people affirming that, yes, you should carry your weapon fully loaded. 3 will be people who don't carry one in the chamber for "safety". The final 10 will be people telling the 3 that they are idiots .

I agree. I think I have even responded to this one a couple of times. Carry the way you want and feel safe. Train with the gun all the time so that what you do is safe and second nature reguardless of what condition the weapon is in. Thats all there is to it.

It depends on the gun I'm carrying. Colt 1911, HELL YEAH!!! Smith & Wesson M&P .45 not so comfortable with one in the chamber.

I carry an XD and if there is not one in the chamber, then it qualifies as either a short club or a rock. If you don't have one in the chamber, it's just not much use. You may not get a chance to rack the slide should you have to draw your weapon. JMHO

Keith

I could also say that if you dont have the split second it takes to rack the slide you will probably be fighting off an attacker before you could even use your firearm.

I agree. I think I have even responded to this one a couple of times. Carry the way you want and feel safe. Train with the gun all the time so that what you do is safe and second nature reguardless of what condition the weapon is in. Thats all there is to it.

+++ :yes4:

I asked my neighbor (indiana state cop) that question yesterday. He said...

"I dont see the point in carrying unless you're ready to go."

I always carry with one in the chamber. That way the magazine is not fully loaded all the time... so the magazine spring won't wear out as quickly if the magazine isn't fully loaded all the time... :to_pick_ones_nose:

Gregory44mag, why do you not feel comfortable carrying one loaded in your M&P?

I've carried one in the pipe in my M&P .40 for two years and it has never fired unless I squeezed the trigger. I even dropped it once and it hit hard, but it didn't go off.

Just curious.

I will not purchase a carry gun that I do not feel is safe with a round in the chamber while in the holster or pocket. The average gunfight starts very close and fast. It requires only one hand to wipe an extra safety, but it requires two hands to put a round into battery. I may need my off hand to move non-combatants or fend off the attacker during the draw. Just my opinion.

Question, for the folks that carry pistols with no thumb safety, do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Is there anyone that does not have a round in the chamber when they carry? I don't have one in there for everyone else's safety just in case something were to happen, but I am just curious to what all of you do.

It is a good idea to try the search feature and see if the horse has in fact been beaten to death and beyond. I agree with others that the topic has been beaten beyond recognition here and you will find that most will advocate condition 1 as the mode of carry.

Unless you are really proficient with the Israeli draw technique, carry condition 1. It is a good idea to review the design of the firearm you intend to carry and understand how it functions and what other safety devices have been employed to prevent unintended discharge...:biggrin:

Why Carry?

Useless to carry without one in the chamber...if someone attacks you, will you have time to rack one in the heat of the moment?? :no:probably not...

:lol::lol::lol:

I got jumped in a parking lot once while carrying condition three in the stress (read "panic") of the moment I completely forgot to chamber a round. Luckily the defensive display was enough but I learned my lesson I never carried W/ an empty chamber again.

I always carry with one in the chamber. That way the magazine is not fully loaded all the time... so the magazine spring won't wear out as quickly if the magazine isn't fully loaded all the time... :to_pick_ones_nose:

You may want to consider racking slide to load a round, drop the mag, top it off, and reinsert the mag. This will give you the mag capacity +1.

my m&p. 40 and xd- subcompact .40 is always ready to go. in fact even my 12g is ready to go. never know when bad thigs are gonna happen. specially at 3am when you hear the bang of someone breaking in. last thing i want to do is remember to rack the slide....

imo if your gonna carry without a round ready, you might as well have a rock cause thats what your gun will be at that point.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back