One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
All this goofy "Press Checking"....Never heard of it. I have carried a 1911 battery of arms for decades. If it is on my hip, it is condition one. I don't guess, or check..I know. Load one in a mag..chamber..load a full mag into the well..VOILA...not that difficult..Hell, even some libs own guns..it has to be simple.

Don't get no plainer then that! I did know someone that "Press Checked" his auto, NOT a 1911A1 and lost part of his hand. Stupid is as stupid does.............

What is it?
This was your father's 1911.
The 1911 was the weapon of the Jedi, not as clumsy or random as a GLOCK.
It's an elegant weapon from a more civilised age.

Your father wanted you to have it when you were old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it
He was afraid you'd follow old Obi Wan on some damned fool idealistic crusade

There's not a cop on the planet who doesn't have a round chambered, why should we be any different? What are you gonna do, ask the dirtbag to hang on while you rack the slide? The best safety is your finger. Keep it off until your ready to fire. Carry on.

After a couple of Negronis and reading this thread I decided to ramble on about what I think.
I saw one response where someone said that "whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do." That sort of reminds me what a "feel good liberal" would say about any topic.
It lends itself to delusional thinking!Another poster quoted a LEO friend of theirs that saidby .... "I can't see carrying a gun if you're not ready to go."
I think telling someone that "Whatever you feel comfortable with is OK." Is truly doing them a DISSERVICE! It's not about feeling good and comfy, it's about being prepared to protect yourself and loved ones. If you don't feel comfy with carrying one in the chamber then don't carry at all. You will be better off without a false sense of security.
If you want to be ready, then figure out what is safe and acceptable to you! First practice. Then realize that on most DA guns the trigger pull is so long and hard you can practically yank it out of your pocket by the trigger! (DO NOT TRY THIS!!!). Without causing the gun to discharge. I think a solution,... I know nobody asked, would be to have a DA/SA . with an external safety. The first possible discharge would be by a DA trigger with a long harder pull but only after you took the safety OFF! Now there you go, carry one in the chamber ready to go with the safety on and the extra safety of a first longer harder trigger pull and you won't be DELUDING YOURSELF!

Safety

If you don't feel comfortable with one in the chamber--- get a revolver! That's why any police departments require them as the sidearm of choice.

its hard not to carry one in the chamber when you carry a S&W 642 in hot weather.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but can anyone tell me why the .38SP is still sold, when you can get a .357? The .357 can fire .38's, but a .38 can't fire .357's, why not have the choice at your disposal?

Ever fire a Magnum out of one of those air weight J frames? My small frame snub nose (a Colt Detective Special) rips and roars more than I find comfortable with +P's and it's steel framed (and I'm not recoil shy. I own more .44 and .45 wheelguns than I do anything else. Heck, I reload 4 different .44 caliber cartridges and 3 different .45's). I've tried one of those super light .38's once and I still can't decide if shooting a Magnum out of one would do more damage on the back end or the front.

If you don't feel comfortable with one in the chamber--- get a revolver! That's why any police departments require them as the sidearm of choice.
Since (m)any PD's require revolvers it shouldn't be hard to name some of them. Would you do that please?

Ever fire a Magnum out of one of those air weight J frames? My small frame snub nose (a Colt Detective Special) rips and roars more than I find comfortable with +P's and it's steel framed (and I'm not recoil shy. I own more .44 and .45 wheelguns than I do anything else. Heck, I reload 4 different .44 caliber cartridges and 3 different .45's). I've tried one of those super light .38's once and I still can't decide if shooting a Magnum out of one would do more damage on the back end or the front.

Don't really know as I can say what you consider to be an "airweight J frame", and perhaps that's a difference in our experience. But what I can say is that I own and routinely fire .357 Magnum rounds in my Taurus 617, and it's really no big deal. Makes a lot more noise, and it has a pretty good kick to it, but it is after all a gun. I don't know what the problem is with recoil, since I find that with a proper grip, these are fine and can be controlled to shoot a really nice 2" circle at about 25 feet. I'm having an easier time with the iron sites on my Taurus's Magnum loads, than I am with the longer barreled (4" vs 2"), but less tight sights on my 9MM Beretta Px4. Besides, if it's only rated as a .38, it isn't going to hold a .357 round, they're not going to fit (longer casing).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back