One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
Geez fellows, I didn't realize that I would start such a firestorm just because I didn't want to blow my pecker off. I didn't realize there would be such reaction to the entry. I have had much training in weaponry and am very familiar with how accidents can and do happen. I do feel more comfortable carrying, for the most part, with an empty chamber. If I go into an area where this might be very foolish, I will definitely chamber a round. I know that a situation can arise anywhere but I am not prone to going places where an incident is more likely to occur. I love my Glock but I just haven't become all that comfortable with the trigger safety. I may eventually go back to a 1911 as a carry weapon since I have had so much more experience with it and would be more comfortable carrying a round chambered. Having said that, all the Glock owners on here will be down on my rear end! Can't win for losing!:biggrin:

NavyLt you need to put that picture of the girl with the two Auto's to show Oldgrunt how to carry his Guns.

Your wish is my command! Remember - don't blame me, blame oldbanjo!

glock_girl.jpg

... I love my Glock but I just haven't become all that comfortable with the trigger safety. ...

When I first started carrying a Glock I did not chamber a round. I felt it too easy to grab it without thinking and let off a round.
I only carried chambered after about 3 months. To train myself, I would pretend it was chambered and took note of how I picked it up and handled it every time. I also keep it holstered in an IWB that covers the trigger whether wearing it or not, and practiced unholstering and putting my finger on the trigger only when aimed at what I was going to shoot. Now it comes second nature - took about 3 months though.

When I was new to carrying, I never carried in the chamber either. Now, I ALWAYS have one in the pipe. On my XD, I don't have a thumb safety, but I do have a grip safety, so there's virtually zero chance of an unintentional discharge unless both the trigger and grip safety are squeezed at the same time. My Ruger P95 I also carry this way, but with the safety off; since it has a hammer and the first trigger pull is double action (when the hammer is not cocked), again there's virtually zero chance of an unintentional discharge unless there is a long, deliberate pull of the trigger.

I carry a Makarov 9mm (made in Russia - great little shooter) fully loaded with one in the pipe, a S&W AIRWEIGHT 38 spl. fully loaded, and a SPRINGFIELD XDM 40sw fully loaded with one in the pipe and close at hand. When you go to a certain City (I wouldn't dare say what city - HOTLANTA - O,O,O, SORRY,THAT SLIPPED OUT!!!) you had better be prepared for a shootout at anytime. Having being a crime victem myself all I can say is: YOU HAD BETTER BE PREPARED TO PROTECT YOURSELF - DON'T DEPEND ON THE COPS!!!! - THERE MAY NOT BE A COP STANDING BESIDE YOU ALL THE TIME!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND EVERYONE BE ALERT AND SAFE.

Carryon1

See what I mean?

Your wish is my command! Remember - don't blame me, blame oldbanjo!

glock_girl.jpg

Hey LT, thanks for posting this picture. I printed it and have it hanging over my desk just to remind me why I will not carry in the front of my pants. Both pistols pointed where they shouldn't be! Regards to Old Banjo also.:biggrin:

I carry a Glock27 in a shoulder rig. and just to keep my balance it has room on the opposite side for two clips. Oh and by the way yes I keep one in the pipe.

If you don't have one in the chamber you are carrying an unloaded weapon with a loaded magazine. An unloaded weapon is useless!

Hey LT, thanks for posting this picture. I printed it and have it hanging over my desk just to remind me why I will not carry in the front of my pants. Both pistols pointed where they shouldn't be! Regards to Old Banjo also.:biggrin:

Seems like a quality holster would clear the problem up

This is a matter that occurs to all "new" carry people. And it should! It is the sign of a thinking person, a careful person, which is a good thing initially. Safety SHOULD trump all. And the same thing should be considered if style of weapon and/or carry changes. But like most of us, after a week or so of "dry runs" or carrying without one in the chamber, we come to realize that the weapon just isn't going to "go off" by itself. As long as pocket carriers keep that pocket clear of all other items such as keys, etc, and use a pocket holster that covers the trigger/guard, there is little chance of an ND. This is another "subjective" thing, and as individual as we are. Carry with one in the pipe when you are ready, but definitely carry with one in the pipe. So say the "Ayes". :pleasantry:

on the hip a cw45 with one in the pipe only because it won't hold two.
on the hip a pm9 " " " " " " " " " " ".

I find it interesting that so many of you are so ready to rock. How many on this site have actually been in a situation requiring a quick draw to a trigger pull? Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.

This question has been done to death. if you get 100 responses 87 of them will be people affirming that, yes, you should carry your weapon fully loaded. 3 will be people who don't carry one in the chamber for "safety". The final 10 will be people telling the 3 that they are idiots .
:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:
Excellent! Your statical analysis is right on!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back