One in the Chamber?

Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

• Yes

Votes: 425 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 54 11.3%

• Total voters
You may want to consider racking slide to load a round, drop the mag, top it off, and reinsert the mag. This will give you the mag capacity +1.

I was actually joking in my post because whether or not to carry with the chamber loaded question comes around once a month as does a question about storing magazines fully loaded weakening the springs (which I know does not). I do keep my gun loaded capacity+1. :biggrin:

You may want to consider racking slide to load a round, drop the mag, top it off, and reinsert the mag. This will give you the mag capacity +1.

I've heard a couple of people point out that should you have to unload your weapon for any reason you now have an extra round floating around.

(IMO) not worth the hassle

lock and load

If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you may be carrying the wrong gun, you may not understand the safety features engineered into your gun, or you don't trust yourself or your ability to produce your weapon without it somehow firing before you want it to. Carrying the quality self defense handgun and practice should lead to confidence that will allow you to carry a handgun that is loaded and ready. All firearms require safe handling at all times and the best safety is between your ears.

If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you may be carrying the wrong gun, you may not understand the safety features engineered into your gun, or you don't trust yourself or your ability to produce your weapon without it somehow firing before you want it to.
Or none of the above. You may carry as the manufacturer recommends. You may not be comfortable carrying with a chambered round for lots of reasons not mentioned above. But that does not necessarily make them wrong, as shermr so implies. :rolleyes:

If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you may be carrying the wrong gun, you may not understand the safety features engineered into your gun, or you don't trust yourself or your ability to produce your weapon without it somehow firing before you want it to. Carrying the quality self defense handgun and practice should lead to confidence that will allow you to carry a handgun that is loaded and ready. All firearms require safe handling at all times and the best safety is between your ears.

Right on the money.

Or none of the above. You may carry as the manufacturer recommends. You may not be comfortable carrying with a chambered round for lots of reasons not mentioned above. But that does not necessarily make them wrong, as shermr so implies. :rolleyes:
Really? Can you name a single reason for not being comfortable carrying with one in the pipe that shermr didn't already cover? I think not. If there are "lots of reasons", naming one shouldn't be hard.

Perhaps you should read your own signature line. It may be your opinion, but I don't see it as fact.

May be a personal choice, and that's fine, but I've yet to meet a single firearms instructor, be they civilian, LEO, or military, who counsels to carry with an empty chamber.

Since I can only use my weapon after a threat that causes me to fear for my life is shown the last thing I want to do is rack my slide to load a round before being able to pull the trigger to stop the threat. Carrying a gun unloaded defeats the purpose of carrying a gun for self defense.

For criminals are the only ones who can chose whether or not to carry a gun loaded or not due to them being the ones who are going to commit the crime.

For the rest of us, We have to carry at all times locked and loaded for we don't know when the criminal(s) will show up. This is why all police carry their guns in condition 1.

There is no worse feeling then needing your gun and remembering you left it somewhere else. If you know of something worse please let me know.

May be a personal choice, and that's fine, but I've yet to meet a single firearms instructor, be they civilian, LEO, or military, who counsels to carry with an empty chamber.

I was standing at the gun counter at my local Sportsman’s Warehouse the other day, looking for a good CC holster. While waiting for assistance I heard a conversation one of the gun gurus was having with a pair of prospective customers, guy and his girlfriend / wife. He’s going to Iraq, she’s not and they want a HD/SD gun for her. They’re looking at Glocks and the problem that they’re having is that she can’t work the slide on any of them.

I know it wasn’t my business but, my wife and I had the same problem when she started to carry. So I mentioned that we solved that particular problem very simply by me chambering the first round and letting the wife carry chambered (Yes I know a lot of things could have gone wrong in that scenario but they didn’t and DW can now work the slide on her CCW).

The gun guru just about blew a gasket on me; he actually said that he would never advise a neophyte (I swear he actually used that word) to carry a round in the chamber on a HD/SD gun. He also said that further more no competent hunting safety instructor would so advise her either.

I commented that any competent CCW instructor would and he herded his “neophytes” to the other end of the counter away from the “dangerous gun nut” and I laughed, bought my holster and gave the “neophytes” the name of an NRA certified CCW instructor on the way out

I was standing at the gun counter at my local Sportsman’s Warehouse the other day, looking for a good CC holster. While waiting for assistance I heard a conversation one of the gun gurus was having with a pair of prospective customers, guy and his girlfriend / wife. He’s going to Iraq, she’s not and they want a HD/SD gun for her. They’re looking at Glocks and the problem that they’re having is that she can’t work the slide on any of them.

I know it wasn’t my business but, my wife and I had the same problem when she started to carry. So I mentioned that we solved that particular problem very simply by me chambering the first round and letting the wife carry chambered (Yes I know a lot of things could have gone wrong in that scenario but they didn’t and DW can now work the slide on her CCW).

The gun guru just about blew a gasket on me; he actually said that he would never advise a neophyte (I swear he actually used that word) to carry a round in the chamber on a HD/SD gun. He also said that further more no competent hunting safety instructor would so advise her either.

I commented that any competent CCW instructor would and he herded his “neophytes” to the other end of the counter away from the “dangerous gun nut” and I laughed, bought my holster and gave the “neophytes” the name of an NRA certified CCW instructor on the way out

Hey Treo. I don't always agree with you but you are spot on with this post.

I don't have a dog in this fight because my EDC is a wheel gun. However, my truck gun is a 1911 A1, cocked and locked.

Interesting. After putting one in the chamber, I remove the magazine, replace the one that was chambered and re-insert.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back