One in the chamber? Or not!!

With the revolver it's never an issue, always 6 in the chamber. With the auto, One in the chamber is the only way. I added the 10-8 Performance rear site to the M&P 45. The 10-8 has a J shape on the barrel side of the site which will allow you with one hand, to rack the slide on your belt, jean or coat pocket, or if need be the bad guy's belt, jean pocket, or perhaps his face or lower jaw bone:sarcastic: The demo at my local dealer (the guy is a state cop and does tactical training as well) sold me. I was able to rack the slide with one hand on the side of my jeans by hooking the rear site!! Just in case I have a misfire :blink:

It's a viable drill. You never know when one of your extremities will be disabled in an armed confrontation. When I was an L/E Instructor, I used to partner them up, and have them take turns cuffing the non shooting hand behind their back and attach it to their belt. I would then have them shoot the qualification course with one hand cuffed behind their backs. including the reloads. We would also set up double feed and stove pipe malfunctions and have them clear the jam and get the gun going again. Not as easy as it looks. The hard part came, when I would have them cuff the strong hand (or right hand for you normal people):rolleyes: and do some drills left handed. I strongly suggest that when you practice these drills, you get some dummy rounds and use them. Live rounds are dangerous as the pistol will not be pointed down range and the possibility of shooting yourself or someone else in the leg, gut, ass, whatever, increases about 100%.

It's a viable drill. You never know when
I strongly suggest that when you practice these drills, you get some dummy rounds and use them.
Live rounds are dangerous as the pistol will not be pointed down range and the possibility of shooting yourself or someone else in the leg, gut, ass, whatever, increases about 100%.

I was looking at his carry piece for another reason and I noted the simple site and asked about it. He grabbed some snap caps and went into the demo. Then allowed me to try it with his weapon a S&W 1911 type which I don't have so there was no level of comfort for me clearing a jam in that type of weapon. I was able to clear the misfire 3 times with the sight on the side of my pants. I handed him his weapon back and had the first 3 words out of my mouth…
"Do you have..." He was pulling one off the wall for my M&P .45 and was tossing it to me...Now that's what I call customer service...

I agree with using dummy ammo/snap caps for the warm up... Good chance of putting one through the floor or worse your leg/foot...:eek:

yep - it's gonna happen fast

every gun we own is fully loaded and ready to fire - those I carry, those hidden around our house. My wife and kids know how to ...but I don't want them having to try to "think" about what to do in a panic situation....just get to it, point and shoot it. (we have a lot of DAO snubs for this reason)

When I was new to guns, even after having taken my CCW, I was still scared of one in the chamber and who isn't? But my fear is not because of accident -- my fear was for my husband's life if he ever argues with me and I was carrying.:biggrin: I wasn't sure how I would react nor how my temper can take it so ... I used to put a snap cap on the chamber just in case. I carry everyday...after a few weeks I knew I couldn't kill him just because I have a gun and just because of some petty excuse like arguing with him...I have been carrying chambered since I got to know my gun and myself...I think the latter is more important in one's decision.

... when I was new to guns, even after having taken my CCW, I was still scared for my husband's life if he ever argues with me.:biggrin:

You can't shoot your husband! Didn't I read in one of your posts that he's the one who bought the gun and selected the ammo for you?! He sounds like a really great guy... surely he never does anything that would cause you grief! :) LOL!

I have seen this posted on some of the other boards. But I am still not clear! It still comes down to personal preference. Do you have one in the chamber? Is the safety on? Or none in the chamber???
I carry with one in the chamber and the safety on. I do not want to shoot my foot or any other body part off that I may not finished with yet. I seem to me that their is + and - no matter what you do. So let me have it, what is best????

There is no higher level of readiness than LOCK N LOAD, with that said... as a private civilian you can carry anyway you like or prefer. Stay away from people who say they rather not carry... than carry non-chambered, or leave your gun home if your not going to chamber your weapon, they're usually immature, lack training, or GUN SHOP COMMANDOS. I rather have a weapon in my holster and bullets in my pocket, than no weapon at all.

I don't advocate carrying non-chambered, but if your a private citizen and you prefer carrying that way, then do it, but you'll have to live by your decision. Practice drawing your weapon and racking, if not for speed, for loading to a readiness. Remember Magnum PI, racking his 45 in certain threat situations.

Train the best you can to fit your comfort zone, not everyone has to train like JAMES BOND.

I have several weapons in car, truck, home, all of them are ready to shoot when picked up, all have rds chambered, wheel guns fully loaded, the external safetys on the guns that have them are not used, it would be hell to grab your weapon and go to pull the trigger on a BG and forget the safetys on then the bang you hear hits you:angry:

There is no higher level of readiness than LOCK N LOAD, with that said... as a private civilian you can carry anyway you like or prefer. Stay away from people who say they rather not carry... than carry non-chambered, or leave your gun home if your not going to chamber your weapon, they're usually immature, lack training, or GUN SHOP COMMANDOS. I rather have a weapon in my holster and bullets in my pocket, than no weapon at all.

I don't advocate carrying non-chambered, but if your a private citizen and you prefer carrying that way, then do it, but you'll have to live by your decision. Practice drawing your weapon and racking, if not for speed, for loading to a readiness. Remember Magnum PI, racking his 45 in certain threat situations.

Train the best you can to fit your comfort zone, not everyone has to train like JAMES BOND.

Please tell me you are not trying to refer to Hollywood and Television for proper gun handling.:fie:

Tom Selleck could get away with carrying his 1911 Condition 3 because it was HIS show and the WRITERS said it was gonna work out in his favor. James Bond is even worse about his gun handling. I have more problems knocking all the Hollywood nonsense out of folks when I teach them how to shoot than any other single issue. Hollywood has gotten a lot more folks killed that it's saved when it comes to firearms.

I have yet to hear of a legitimate ADVANTAGE to carrying a gun without a round in the chamber. On the other hand, there seems to be a whole bunch of disadvantages. Even if you don't have to shoot, the mere drawing and chambering of a round is menacing and can get you charged AND your concealed carry permit revoked.

For example, I stopped at the local Walmart on the way home tonight. Let's say I was accosted on the way back to my truck and I felt that I was in immediate danger so I draw my trusty Para Ordnance P13 that's being carried Condition 3 for argument's sake. By the time I get a round chambered, the attacker has seen the gun and hollered, "Oh, Jesus," as he broke the Olympic 1000 yard dash record while clearing out of there. Normally, that would be a good conclusion as far as I'm concerned. I didn't have to shoot anyone and I didn't get hurt either. Unfortunately, it ain't over because the little old lady with her grandkids in the next parking isle didn't see him accost me or threaten to gut me like a deer if I didn't give him my wallet. All she heard was me chambering a round in a 1911, which made her turn her head to look my way, and saw me standing there with a gun in hand, so she calls the cops. The cops find me and I get cuffed and stuffed. They have my word that I was the victim of an attempted mugging but they have witnesses that saw me with a gun. Guess who is now probably in jail waiting for a bail hearing, without a pistol and a permit to carry it?

Please tell me you are not trying to refer to Hollywood and Television for proper gun handling.:fie:

Tom Selleck could get away with carrying his 1911 Condition 3 because it was HIS show and the WRITERS said it was gonna work out in his favor. James Bond is even worse about his gun handling. I have more problems knocking all the Hollywood nonsense out of folks when I teach them how to shoot than any other single issue. Hollywood has gotten a lot more folks killed that it's saved when it comes to firearms.

I have yet to hear of a legitimate ADVANTAGE to carrying a gun without a round in the chamber. On the other hand, there seems to be a whole bunch of disadvantages. Even if you don't have to shoot, the mere drawing and chambering of a round is menacing and can get you charged AND your concealed carry permit revoked.

For example, I stopped at the local Walmart on the way home tonight. Let's say I was accosted on the way back to my truck and I felt that I was in immediate danger so I draw my trusty Para Ordnance P13 that's being carried Condition 3 for argument's sake. By the time I get a round chambered, the attacker has seen the gun and hollered, "Oh, Jesus," as he broke the Olympic 1000 yard dash record while clearing out of there. Normally, that would be a good conclusion as far as I'm concerned. I didn't have to shoot anyone and I didn't get hurt either. Unfortunately, it ain't over because the little old lady with her grandkids in the next parking isle didn't see him accost me or threaten to gut me like a deer if I didn't give him my wallet. All she heard was me chambering a round in a 1911, which made her turn her head to look my way, and saw me standing there with a gun in hand, so she calls the cops. The cops find me and I get cuffed and stuffed. They have my word that I was the victim of an attempted mugging but they have witnesses that saw me with a gun. Guess who is now probably in jail waiting for a bail hearing, without a pistol and a permit to carry it?

Lets get more a little comprehensive about the scenario...YOU STATED..." Let's say I was accosted on the way back to my truck and I felt that I was in immediate danger "... What HAPPENED, did you get smacked, verbal threat, did you get the stink eye, give a little more detail about your target's aggression, and i'll explain proper action, what happen during the ACCOSTED.

The reference to Magnum P.I. was him racking his 1911 when his threat condition heighten, and the reference to James Bond was to use as a example that the private citizen does not live that type of life of expecting to encountering danger. They were popular figures for visual props with NO reference to great, or proper gun handling.

I do not advocate carrying a non-chambered weapon, i PERSONALLY don't have a problem with it, or feel i'm at a disadvantage, WHY, because my training allows me too feel that way. Please let me know in detail about your ACCOSTED scenario. Thanks

. Unfortunately, it ain't over because the little old lady with her grandkids in the next parking isle didn't see him accost me or threaten to gut me like a deer if I didn't give him my wallet.

That would be having a knife pulled on you at close range. And, since we are in the Wally World parking lot, let's say I did an after work bread, milk, and eggs grocery run. Call it 3 of the little plastic bags dangling from the off hand a I walked to the truck. This Wally World is one of the busiest in the Southeast and it has a huge lot that's always full, so parking half way to the next county is not unusual.

And I still haven't seen or heard of a situation where not having a round chambered is an advantage.

That would be having a knife pulled on you at close range. And, since we are in the Wally World parking lot, let's say I did an after work bread, milk, and eggs grocery run. Call it 3 of the little plastic bags dangling from the off hand a I walked to the truck. This Wally World is one of the busiest in the Southeast and it has a huge lot that's always full, so parking half way to the next county is not unusual.

And I still haven't seen or heard of a situation where not having a round chambered is an advantage.

A knife at close range (breath distance)... what i would suggest YOU do... is give him your WALLET at this particular time. What would your reaction be base on your assessment.

Here's a video of the advantage of NOT having a round chambered. It's a real advantage to the other guy.
Watch the guy who dies later racking his slide to chamber a round as he is being shot repeatedly. Paste the link into browser and remove the space between the www. and the rest
Link Removed. liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

Here's a video of the advantage of NOT having a round chambered. It's a real advantage to the other guy.
Watch the guy who dies later racking his slide to chamber a round as he is being shot repeatedly. Paste the link into browser and remove the space between the www. and the rest
Link Removed. liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

Were getting off track here... were talking about CC in public... someone pulled a knife on you and point to your gut and asked for your wallet, i said... at this point YOU should give it to him, now if you have a different assessment, tell us what would you do what your chambered weapon.

Were getting off track here... were talking about CC in public... someone pulled a knife on you and point to your gut and asked for your wallet, i said... at this point YOU should give it to him, now if you have a different assessment, tell us what would you do what your chambered weapon.

Ok, sorry, ... I was posting on the Original Topic of this thread of "one chambered or not", but on the off topic scenario ...
I've only been robbed twice, once by 2 men with .38s. ... And once by 5 men with pistols and shotguns, ... never with a knife yet. ... But I'd throw my wallet, if asked by a man with a knife. ....Then it's his move if he wants to attempt to cut me or go farther from me for the wallet..... At which time the ball is back in my court for what I will do then.
At that point, If he chose to try to cut me, I might choose to disarm him like I did when attacked by the second place winner in Tai Kwon Do in Texas about 15 years ago (not playing or competing)..... but that's just me, YMMV. When I was robbed by the two men, I had the opportunity and means to disarm the one holding the gun at my head, but also was aware of the other man holding a gun on the manager and cashier, and decided not to at that particular time..
But generally, I'd throw my wallet in a knife situation.

No, we are talking about needing a loaded gun RIGHT THE H$%L NOW and having an unloaded one instead-and a gun that won't shoot when you flick off the manual safety (if there is one) and pull the trigger is UNLOADED.

Quit getting wrapped up in the details of an intentionally vague, hypothetical situation and picking nits while you end up with fleas.

You want details, fine. I have the driver's side door open because I'm about to place the 3 grocery bags (1 with a gallon of milk, 1 with a loaf of bread, 1 with 2 dozen eggs because they were on sale) into the truck, with the door blocking my escape route to my left. There's a car parked beside me, blocking my exit to my rear. Immediately to my front is my truck. The perp is standing at my rear bumper (on my right) with a 'Garvey Jiffy Cutter' brand box cutter. The truck is a early 2000's Ford F150 extended cab, so he's 10 to 12 feet away.

With a loaded (meaning a round is chambered) Para Ordnance P13, I've got 2 options.
1.Give him my wallet.

2. a) Draw with my (left) strong hand (keeping it at waist level with the gun pointed at the center of his pelvis because he's close and I want him to go straight down) as I-
b) toss the gallon of milk, 2 dozen eggs and loaf of Colonial King bread at him with my right. If they make contact, fine, if not it is a distraction.

I HAVE practiced shooting 1 handed and have been trained by a 30 year veteran of military special operations and law enforcement who gets hired by the federal government to train their field agents (you've seen him on TV as an expert on several weapons related shows as well and he's been a fight choreographer for a Hollywood movie as well) in instinctive shooting and have practiced it religiously over the years. I know that at 12 feet or less, I can push his belly button so far back against his back bone shooting a .45 from the hip that the coroner will need a separate search warrant to dig it out.

If he sees the gun and heads out at a high rate of speed, good. If he comes at me, he knows he's just brought a knife to a gun fight. If he comes at me, I carry a CRKT M-21 (4+ inch blade with opening assist and it WILL shave) in my front off side pocket, too, and I'm a better knife fighter than gun fighter.

With an unloaded (empty chamber) Para Ordnance P13, I see 2 options.

1. Give him my wallet.

2.Try the same thing as above with the added step of having to chamber a round at the beginning-with my off hand occupied.

As I see it, the chances of it working is, maybe, 1 in 10 at best. I know, I can hop on 1 foot and chamber a round by press checking the slide on my boot heel.:secret:

Wait, the P13 is a Commander length slide and barrel (4 1/4 inch barrel)- the slide won't go back far enough to strip off a round when you press check it and I'm wearing Wolverine work boots like I do every day at work. The heels are SOFT and will give too much anyway.:cray:

Never mind, I better just give him my wallet-with my paycheck, ID, CCW permit, Social Security Card, credit cards, ATM cards, photos, address, and everything else he needs to steal my identity.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back