NYC undercover stings expose "gun show loophole"

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
NEW YORK — Investigators hired by New York City conducted stings at gun shows in states that have not closed the "gun show loophole" and found some vendors openly selling weapons to buyers who admitted they couldn't pass background checks.

The stings, described in a city report released Wednesday, were conducted at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Ohio and Nevada. Those states are among the many that permit private unlicensed dealers, known as "occasional sellers," to sell weapons at gun shows without conducting background checks.

Link Removed

The stings, described in a city report released Wednesday, were conducted at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Ohio and Nevada. Those states are among the many that permit private unlicensed dealers, known as "occasional sellers," to sell weapons at gun shows without conducting background checks.

So what's the problem? No laws have been broken.:fie:

The investigators went to the shows to see whether sellers would engage in two types of illegal transactions. The first involves private sellers selling guns to people who they thought could not pass a federal background check. The investigators would offer to purchase a weapon, then tell the seller that they probably couldn’t pass a background check.

Well, what do they propose to do about this? Many people, including my own mother (may she rest in peace) don't think they can pass a check, due to things that are petty. Even then, the "criminals" are just going to start keeping their mouths shut when buying from a private individual instead of stating such. This won't fix a thing.

Just Mayor Bloomberg trying to show he can buy or try to buy with his millions or should I say BILLIONS of dollars.

He is a proven anti-gunner and has the bucks to try to sway the nation.
:wacko:

NEW YORK — Investigators hired by New York City conducted stings at gun shows in states that have not closed the "gun show loophole" and found some vendors openly selling weapons to buyers who admitted they couldn't pass background checks.

Link Removed

Of course this whole "loophole" nonsense is about removing the last mechanism by which guns can be transferred "off the grid": private transfers. Once that's done, basically all guns will be transferred through FFL's. Even without national gun registration the ATF can still inspect that paperwork (4473's) anytime they want, scan the forms, etc.

Not that there not enough wrong with what bloomberg has done to push more gun control but does anyone else see something wrong with the mayor and law enforcment of New York conducting stings in other states. then demanding those state fix or change there laws. Someone please remind him he didn't win potus and to keep his goons in New York.

I watched the video and on two of the sales it showed the man paying with cash " FROM the sellers POV so that tells me it buyers and sellers where staged. why would the sellers be filming the sale ? It just looks kinda fishy to me.

The term 'loophole' is used by people who want to make currently legal activities illegal. It's not a loophole---it's legal.

Bloomberg has a history of conspiracy to break the laws of states and his status as a wealthy pro-big-government mayor has kept him from being charged with his crimes.

It's unfortunately to live in a nation that has forgotten its most important document.

Since all of us here know that the phrase "Gun show Loophole" is a misleading term, and that the rules are the same weather you are at a gun show or in your back yard, I'd like to focus on a couple other points...

The undercover operation took place from about May to August and its $1.5 million cost was paid by city taxpayers. The city hired a team of 40 private investigators from an outside firm to make the purchases.
Is there no one in NYC who objects to their outrageously high taxes being used in this manner.
The sting comes three years after Bloomberg's administration conducted a similar operation focusing on illegal straw purchases at gun shops in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia that authorities believe were responsible for selling guns used in crimes in New York City. (A straw purchase is when one person fills out the paperwork and buys the gun for somebody else.)

Bloomberg's administration brought a civil case against 27 gun dealers targeted in its 2006 investigation.

As a result of the suit, 20 dealers are being monitored by a court-appointed special master. One is out of business, two more are expected to be put under monitoring agreements and three were dropped from the suit. A final dealer settled with the city but the terms did not include a monitor.

Investigators in this year's sting also attempted straw purchases at gun shows, and were successful 16 out of 17 times.
Can someone explain to me exactly how a gun shop is responsible for a straw purchase? Unless the purchaser came right out and announced that it was for someone else, and even that isn't illegal in most states. (I.E. In PA I may purchase a hand gun as a gift for my wife, father, or grandfather, as long as I do not suspect that they are ineligible to possess one. Many other states have similar rules.)

The fact that they admit to doing a straw purchase should have got them in some hot water is that not illegal. I know it is in Ohio. So they come to this state commit a crime go back to NY and we are the bad guys. That just don’t add up.Total BS!

Total BS!

True. BUT! It WORKS for those conducting the sting, so they keep using it.

Those people getting caught by the investigators. The people selling the guns, (whomever they may be) are NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer, not even half smart, or they would keep their mouth shut when they take the $$$ and the person buying it asks their "sting" questions.

They WILL catch a LOT more as time goes on. Sellers who just want to sell and don't care who they are selling to. It IS a bummer for the sellers, the government AND people like me (I am anti/against terrorists and even the bad neighbor a couple houses down from me on my street who committed a crime and lost their privilege/right to own firearms SHOULD NOT own firearms) are wanting sellers NOT to see firearms to THOSE people.

We NEED them (sellers) to help us out a little bit. If the guy standing in front of you wants to buy your rifle/pistol/etc is a person you recognized on America's Top 10 or the bulletin board at the local post office, then PLEASE, don't sell them the firearm.

YES, the "stings" ARE BS. But the sellers don't seem to want to clean up their act on their own.

Remember, they are just catching the ""not so smart" ones mostly with their "little" stings. "Little" meaning $1.5 MILLION worth of taxpayers money is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Use the of the POS anti-guns people. They seem to sure get the donations.

Luke would like to get some of "that" money I would bet! He could have USACarry running on a pure gold computer on just a very very small amount of the money "THOSE" people donate, wanting to take everyone's firearms away.

They NEED to stick to taking them away from criminals. Never going to happen that way. They just screw with "US" because... because "WE" obey the laws.

Sad state of affairs, no matter how we look at it.

The fact that they admit to doing a straw purchase should have got them in some hot water is that not illegal. I know it is in Ohio. So they come to this state commit a crime go back to NY and we are the bad guys. That just don’t add up.Total BS!

Kimber, staw sales are not only illegal in Ohio, they are illegal according to ATF throughout the US.

Curious why they aren't being prosecuted, as they tried to do with the courageous young people that exposed ACORN. Or sorry, that was political wasn't it.

Wonder what they did with these "guns" they purchased illegally, sure ATF would like to know.

Are they saying ATF isn't doing their job, so NYC police need to fan out throughout the country to do it for them??

Kimber, staw sales are not only illegal in Ohio, they are illegal according to ATF throughout the US.

Curious why they aren't being prosecuted, as they tried to do with the courageous young people that exposed ACORN. Or sorry, that was political wasn't it.

Wonder what they did with these "guns" they purchased illegally, sure ATF would like to know.

Are they saying ATF isn't doing their job, so NYC police need to fan out throughout the country to do it for them??

And things like that make all of "us" good people who DO obey the laws, look bad... so the left starts shouting, LOOK AT ALL THE ILLEGAL GUNS BEING SOLD.

Yep, not good for the rest of us when something like that happens.

IF it IS against the law for them to own a gun, then they should NOT own a gun.

Even a private citizen knowingly buying from or selling to a person than cannot legally buy is illegal. Maybe not right, depending on why they can't pass background check, but still the law. So, be careful who you buy from or sell to.

How come noone in New York has questioned why over one million of their tax dollars has gone to something that affects another state. I understand that Bloomberg believes that the guns are coming back to his state, but, if the goverment is to be believed, the guns are going to Mexico. So which is it? They can't have it both ways, either the guns are going to New York or Mexico.

I would like to know what these Investigators were buying in order to get $37,500 each. What happened to the guns they bought?

The problem is that the law also states that the private seller isn't supposed to allow a sale to someone that they beleive wouldn't be able to pass a background check if they were to run it.

It's a common sense requirement - basically, you're allowed to sell to someone but if you know they shouldn't have a gun - you can't sell to them.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with that. What I have a problem with in THIS sting is that they never quite say "I cannot pass a background check because of X,Y and Z." They say things like, I probably can't pass one. That might put the sale into a gray area, but certainly not per se illegal.

In NC, even in a transaction between 2 individuals, the buyer is required to show the seller a "pistol permit*" or an NC CCW permit.

"Handgun purchases require that the buyer obtain a permit from the County Sherrif's department prior to purchasing a handgun. CCW permit holders are exempted from that requirement.

bill

I work for Mission Essential based out of Savannah and Hinesville, GA. We work most Georgia (gun shows of the south) gun shows. Almost every show there is rumor that someone from NYC is in the show trying to buy a firearm, weather it be from a dealer, who has to do the 4473, or from a REG Joe. Most dealers are very careful at gun shows because no one wants to go to jail or pay a big fine because of a paper work mess up. If everyone does it the legal way we should be ok for a while

EVERYONE NEED 3 GUNS A PISTOL, SHOTGUN, AND A RIFLE... EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST INSURANCE

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back