No OC in SC, so I foudnd another use for my holster

whodat2710

Got tired of seeing my OC holster lying around gathering dust, so I made this little gem. Bedside holster, slides between the mattress and box-spring. I may still do a little cutting to make it easier to grab. The spare mag is just clipped on for now. Any constructive criticism or ideas for improvement?

Link Removed

My first hand experience says you need to drive 1-2 nail through the horizontal board into the box spring. They dont have to hit anything they are just providing resistance to scooting of the board out and causing gun to leverage the board out and then the whole thing hits the floor.
Mspt

How easy is it for you to get your hand around the grip with that wood adjacent to it? Personally, I would cut that top part of the wood down to about even with the trigger.

As other posters have mentioned, I would put something through the horizontal in order to stabilize the system (or if you do not wish to go through your box springs, elongate the horizontal piece. The longer piece will provide more leverage and hence a more stable system).

Good first run though. Show us future pics of your tweaks.

It really is no big deal to rube goldberg something to your bed, either under or next to (on side or behind mattress). It is interesting to see what some have come up with. In my case I have a brass headboard and merely secured an old regular holster to some of the brass bars that make up the headboard and put a few pieces of that "foamy pipe insulation" at locations that are close to the firearm and brass bars. It is all behind the mattress so it is not seen, but one reach with my hand and there it is, ready for someone to meet my "leetle friend".

Can't say much for the aesthetics, but it appears plenty functional. :biggrin: Good goin'.

Blues

I do some really nice woodworking, but was going for pure function on this. Scrap wood and brackets, and the paint job was already on the wood. Angle bracket over and under the crosspiece, through-bolted to each other.

My first hand experience says you need to drive 1-2 nail through the horizontal board into the box spring. They dont have to hit anything they are just providing resistance to scooting of the board out and causing gun to leverage the board out and then the whole thing hits the floor.
Mspt

Just what I was looking for. I wasn't worried about it since while drawing it wouldn't matter, but that makes a lot of sense just because it could work it's way out from "regular" wear and tear :)

Good thread- I have been considering doing something similar with my bedside pistol.

HD-kutz- can you post up a little more about your set up? (I weighing both a wood setup like whodat and a setup like yours.)

-

Good thread- I have been considering doing something similar with my bedside pistol.

HD-kutz- can you post up a little more about your set up? (I weighing both a wood setup like whodat and a setup like yours.)

-
kutz's looks simply like a belt strapped around the post w/ a holster clipped on.

not knocking it as it seems to work, just stating what it looks like.

my 2 carry pistols are stuck in a bio metric (broken up to remove the link)safe in the nightstand since i have 2 kiddoes running around.

I like how it rides high and can be covered easily IF you make your bed. I made one from some heavy naugahide (now extinct) but it slides down and drops out easily when making the bed, so I may be changing to your idea. Good job.

You can buy this type setup for about $15. They are made of metal with fabric that you can Velcro a holster to.

2AHolster

For something a lot more stable and good looking, take a look at this.

Link Removed
This is a Stick Up! Allows you to place a Holster where you need it; in your car or boat, on a bed, on the refrigerator. Everything needed including suction cups comes with The Stick Up. Choice of colors. Tensioning system standard.

I tried to post a photo of mine, but can't figure out how to do it. Mine is mounted on a 1 1/2 metal bed frame, an adaptation which Tom designed when I told him the one with the suction cups wouldn't work for me. This is a stand-up guy, and he will work with you to get you the holster you need at a seriously reasonable price. Take a look!

that's fine the way it is...

Just what I was looking for. I wasn't worried about it since while drawing it wouldn't matter, but that makes a lot of sense just because it could work it's way out from "regular" wear and tear :)

That's fine the way it is. Except you could use a jig/scroll saw to cut a relief out where your knuckles would be hitting the wood when trying to get a grip on the gun to draw it. "Wear and tear"? Idon't think you will need any nails through your mattress or anything like that. When you draw the gun you are pulling upwards, not outwards. I can't think of anything that would cause the plywood to slide out from between the mattress... unless you are a marathon humper, and your sexual escapades would cause that, but I don't think that would even cause it to slide out.

You can buy this type setup for about $15. They are made of metal with fabric that you can Velcro a holster to.
but they need something to hold them horizontally, so either something to hold it to the box spring or something attached to make it longer and thus more leverage.

That's fine the way it is. Except you could use a jig/scroll saw to cut a relief out where your knuckles would be hitting the wood when trying to get a grip on the gun to draw it. "Wear and tear"? Idon't think you will need any nails through your mattress or anything like that. When you draw the gun you are pulling upwards, not outwards. I can't think of anything that would cause the plywood to slide out from between the mattress... unless you are a marathon humper, and your sexual escapades would cause that, but I don't think that would even cause it to slide out.

like I said, from experience it will NOT stay unless the horizontal piece is made longer or nails simply drive into the box spring. its only a small nail hole. Mine has never fallen since putting in the nails. simply making the bed would cause the one I had to fall out. hanging a firearm off the end of the plywood causes quite a bit of torque so the way he has it now I can guarantee will result in his set-up and firearm falling to the floor at sometime in the near future.
MSPT

like I said, from experience it will NOT stay unless the horizontal piece is made longer or nails simply drive into the box spring. its only a small nail hole. Mine has never fallen since putting in the nails. simply making the bed would cause the one I had to fall out. hanging a firearm off the end of the plywood causes quite a bit of torque so the way he has it now I can guarantee will result in his set-up and firearm falling to the floor at sometime in the near future.
MSPT

I may put a nail in it if it ever slides out, but I'll notice it an kick it back in if it starts to nudge out a bit. For perspective that's a full size P-95 (15rd) pistol, so the board that slides between the mattress is about a foot long.
-
The total cost of this when I made it was $0.00. The holster was about $15 several years ago. 4 angle brackets would probably cost about $2. I drilled and bolted rather than screwed just because I wanted thinner wood. Toughest part was sorting through a jar of machine screws to find some to match those on the back of the holster (which is bolted through the wood, rather than Velcro)
-
I do like the cut out idea and will probably shape it like my Crossbreed holster to keep the slide from greasing up the sheets.

It has a horizontal plate that is about 12" long that goes between the mattress and box spring. The vertical piece has a fabric that will take Velcro which will accommodate a soft holster or velcro strips to hold a holster. I did put velcro on the horizontal plate to keep it from sliding out from between the mattress and box spring. It will take any gun, as the holster is a soft universal type. No nail holes in the bed and can be moved any time by just pulling it out, and is covered when the bed is made.

It has a horizontal plate that is about 12" long that goes between the mattress and box spring. The vertical piece has a fabric that will take Velcro which will accommodate a soft holster or velcro strips to hold a holster. I did put velcro on the horizontal plate to keep it from sliding out from between the mattress and box spring. It will take any gun, as the holster is a soft universal type. No nail holes in the bed and can be moved any time by just pulling it out, and is covered when the bed is made.
That should work too. As long as there is something holding from horizontal slide.
Mspt

As someone who sews - you can also get spiral pins, called "upholstery twist pins" that could be used to secure a cloth extension (to the horizontal part) to the box spring. Walmart has them, among others.

Uncle Budd, I am very sad to learn that Naugas are extinct! The poor helpless animals, exploited by evil humans. They should have rights!!1!eleventy!!!

Thanks for the thought. I know what my next craft project will be! (And now I'm trying to come up with a design for my recliner...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back