NFL Player With CWP Shoots Self in Leg

{TEX}Hawaii((

Check out the bold below....
Looks like he had a CWP, but I can't imagine that carrying to a club in NYC is legal. Let's see if he gets off because he is a sports figure....

Link Removed

Plaxico Burress' controversial year has just taken a turn for the worse.

The New York Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the right thigh Friday night, FOXSports.com has learned, not long after being ruled out of Sunday's game against the Redskins with a hamstring injury in the same leg.The New York Post cited sources who said that Burress shot himself after midnight at the LQ nightclub and needed to be hospitalized.

The Post also said that Burress, 31, was allegedly trying to enter the club with teammate Antonio Pierce when they were stopped by security guards.

Burress, who caught the game-winning touchdown against the Patriots in January, admitted to the guards that he was carrying a gun. He then allegedly went over to a secluded area with a guard and took the gun out, the Post said.

Burress apparently started trying to unload the gun and bobbled it. An accidental shot went off and went through his leg.

Security tried to call an ambulance, but Burress said no. He took himself to Cornell Medical Center, where he was released at 2 p.m. Saturday after being treated, according to the Post.

In 2005, bodyguards for rapper Ja Rule allegedly shot two men, one fatally, at the same club.

Newsday reported that Burress has a concealed-weapon permit from the state of Florida that expired in May 2008. It is unclear if the permit was renewed; such a license can be renewed up to six months beyond the expiration date in accordance with section 790.06(11)(a) of Florida Statutes.

However, the states of New York and New Jersey do not recognize permits from Florida, so Burress could be charged in the incident.

The NFL also is likely to investigate whether Burress violated its Personal Conduct Policy, which might lead to a suspension.

"We are aware of the fact that Plaxico was involved in an apparent accidental shooting (Friday) night," the Giants said in a written statement.

"We have been in contact with Plaxico since shortly after the incident. Plaxico suffered a wound to his right thigh. Obviously, our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital."

The Giants have discussed the matter with NFL security and are attempting to gather more details.

"This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that we have no comment on any of the details," the team said.

Added NFL spokesman Joe Browne: "We are gathering information, just like everyone else."

This has been a troubled year for Burress, who opened the season with a lengthy contract dispute. The 31-year-old also was suspended for a game and fined $117,500 for missing a team meeting and failing to notify the team of his absence. He said he had a family emergency.

He also was fined $45,000 by the NFL for his conduct during a game against the 49ers in October when he abused an official and tossed a ball into the stands.

"Like I said, I am human," Burress said last month in discussing his runs-ins with the team. "I have made some mistakes. I haven't made the best of decisions, I am aware of that, and I am the first one to look myself in the mirror, be honest with myself, and say that."

"But as far as me going out and playing hard, I am going to keep going out and competing," he added. "Like I said, I just keep going out and doing what is asked of me on the football field, and in whatever that role may be I hope I go out and fulfill it."

The Giants are atop the NFC standings with a 10-1 record and are vying for their seventh straight win Sunday when they face Washington.

Burress initially pulled his injured right hamstring in the Giants' win over Baltimore on Nov. 16. He then aggravated the injury in the opening series last Sunday against Arizona, and then sat out the rest of that game.

Domenik Hixon, who is dealing with an ankle injury, will start in Burress' place Sunday.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract hours before the season opened in September.

The signing came after an unsettling offseason during which Burress was fined $25,000 for refusing to practice during a mandatory minicamp in June. He also missed most of training camp at the University at Albany with a sprained ankle. He insisted the injury — not his contract — kept him off the field.

Despite his lack of practice, Burress started in the opener against Washington and caught 10 passes for 133 yards. The following week he had five catches for 81 yards and a touchdown in a win over St. Louis.

The rest of the season has not been as productive. The most passes he has caught in any game since is four in a loss to Cleveland on Oct. 13, the game which followed his suspension.

Burress has 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns in a season in which he has constantly drawn double coverage. His streak of receptions in 115 consecutive games ended last week in Arizona. He aggravated his hamstring injury during the first series and did not return.

It was the sixth-longest active streak in the league, dating to Nov. 26, 2000 against Cincinnati, Burress' rookie season in Pittsburgh.

Signed as a free agent in 2005, Burress had caught a pass in all 56 previous games in which he had played for the Giants.

Last edited:
Burress Lucky

He's lucky, considering he could've killed himself. Booze and guns don't mix. If the incident happened at a Nightclub and it happened at 1AM, he was surely drinking or had been earlier. On top of that, his permit was expired and also was not valid in the jurisdiction in which he was carrying the gun. I personally think that the rest of the country ought to be like Vermont when it comes to carrying a weapon concealed. No permit required. I am also of the thought that if you are going to have a few drinks you ought to exercise good judgement and leave the firearm at home. What a knucklehead. With all the money these guys make, why not hire a bodyguard?

Surfcc

Not very smart. Perhaps he did not realize his permit was not honored in NY. It is, however, his and our responsibility to verify our permits are honored before carrying there. I would have to agree even if it was, I doubt it would be allowed in a night club.

Not very smart. Perhaps he did not realize his permit was not honored in NY. It is, however, his and our responsibility to verify our permits are honored before carrying there. I would have to agree even if it was, I doubt it would be allowed in a night club.

Exactly. How could you not know that it had expired or that you could not carry there? But then again profesional athleats can do anything they want. Laws and rules do not apply to them.

This is the Kind of "News" that does get under my skin. It our responsibility to be under control at all times. If it is Party time, Party, Party the best you can but lock up your weapon. There are great security boxes available out there for cars. I feel there is no excuse for not understanding the terms of your CPL or for when it expires for that matter.

Updated..

Fox Sports dot com is now reporting that Mr Burgess is to be charged tomorrow.

Link Removed

Thanks for the update to the case.

Looks like NYC has some strict laws.... I wonder if he will be subject to the 3.5 year min sentence.

Reports also indicate that Burress had a Florida gun permit but that the permit expired in May. New York law prohibits the possession of a concealed weapon within New York even if one is licensed in an outside state. Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2006 led the way to stiffen gun laws in New York City making it a mandatory 3½-year sentence for being busted for illegal possession of a firearm within the city.

Sunday Burress' lawyer told the Associated Press that he has been advised the Giants' receiver will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Agreed. Even if he did not shoot himself, he could have exercised much better judgment.

Shot himself in the leg at point blank range. Hmm, not a very effective weapon choice. I bet if he shot himself with what I choose to carry he wouldn't be playing football this weekend. Just another example of a stupid ass that could have hurt someone else besides himself. Playing the big bad thug in front of all his buddies. Big NFL star dumbass. I hope he goes to jail for the mandatory sentence.

Burress apparently started trying to unload the gun and bobbled it. An accidental shot went off and went through his leg.
Bobbling? What's that? Rather than "bobble", the article should have said "pulled the trigger".

Bobbling? What's that? Rather than "bobble", the article should have said "pulled the trigger".

I was just about to point that out. I'm wondering what kind of gun discharges just from "bobbling." Any word on what kind of pistol it was?

I was just about to point that out. I'm wondering what kind of gun discharges just from "bobbling." Any word on what kind of pistol it was?

It was one of those new "bobble action" models. :haha: Leave it to the media to mess up reporting on a firearms incident.

All kidding aside, one of my friends thought he read somewhere that it was a "Keltec PF 9". Not sure where he got his info, or if it was confirmed.

gf

The PF-9 is DAO. How does one bobble a double action trigger? Or did the slide slip and a slam fire result while he was "unloading"?

Bobble?

I thought I had read something on this earlier today...

From the New York Daily News:

Mayor Bloomberg fuming over Plaxico shooting: Throw the book at him
BY FRANK LOMBARDI, ALISON GENDAR and JONATHAN LEMIRE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Monday, December 1st 2008, 10:04 PM

Sack 'im!

An irate Mayor Bloomberg demanded Monday that prosecutors throw the book at Giants star Plaxico Burress for bringing a loaded handgun into a crowded midtown nightclub and accidentally shooting himself in the leg.

Bloomberg slammed New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell and the Giants for not immediately reporting the shooting to police - cops learned of it from TV - and said it would be an "outrage" if Burress got special treatment.

"It's pretty hard to argue the guy didn't have a gun and that it wasn't loaded," Bloomberg said, lashing out at the man who caught the winning touchdown in the 2008 Super Bowl.

"You've got bullet holes in and out to show that it was there."

Burress had a loaded Glock semiautomatic in his waistband at the Latin Quarter nightclub early Saturday, when it slipped down his pant leg and went off when he tried to grab it, police said.

New York law requires a minimum of 3-1/2 years in jail for a conviction of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, the charge Burress faces.

"I don't think that anybody should be exempt from that," Bloomberg said. "It would be an outrage if we don't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

Not prosecuting celebrities would make "a sham, a mockery of the law," the mayor asserted.

The mandatory sentencing would not necessarily apply if Burress is offered a plea bargain.

Defense lawyers said prosecutors are loath to cut a deal. "The DAs ... have been very hard-nosed on this," said veteran criminal defense lawyer Martin Geduldig. "They expect jail time."

Bloomberg also railed against the hospital for failing to immediately report Burress was brought in with a gunshot wound.

"It's a chargeable offense. The district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital," the mayor said.

Bleeding and afraid to contact the authorities after the 1:50 a.m. shooting, Burress was helped into teammate Antonio Pierce's black Escalade, police sources said. The group tried to find a hospital that would admit them without calling cops.

At 2:04 a.m., Burress arrived at New York-Presbyterian, checking in under an alias, sources said. Burress told doctors he was shot at an Applebee's.

He was released at 1 p.m. Although Burress spent nearly 11 hours at the hospital, Cornell officials never notified police, as required by law, sources said.

Detectives, who learned of the shooting from TV news, showed up at the hospital at 2:30 p.m. A supervisor refused to release any information because of patient privacy rules.

"That is a statute that does not trump the law on gunshot cases," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said angrily. "There was a universe of silence after this shooting."

The NYPD is investigating whether hospital staffers should be charged for failing to report the gunshot wound.

A Cornell spokeswoman said the hospital will investigate.

"Not reporting a gunshot wound is a clear violation of our policies and procedures," she said. "Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken."

A state Health Department spokeswoman also said her agency would investigate.

Bloomberg also blasted the Giants for not contacting the NYPD about the shooting.

"The Giants should have picked up the phone right away as good corporate citizens," he said.

A Giants spokesman insisted the team notified NFL Security as soon as it learned of the shooting, and the league told police.

[email protected]

With Henrick Karoliszyn and Thomas Zambito

Burress had a loaded Glock semiautomatic in his waistband at the Latin Quarter nightclub early Saturday, when it slipped down his pant leg and went off when he tried to grab it, police said.
That sounds far more realistic. Too bad he apparently grabbed it on the trigger, simultaneously deactivated the trigger safety, and... :nhl_checking:

Having the gun stuck in his waistband was just one of many things that he did that was not very smart.

NFL Player

On tonight's TMZ (Monday) they revealed he tried to cover up the facts surrounding the shooting by saying he got shot at an Applebee's. Given all the facts, I'd say Burress is a few french fries short of a Happy Meal.

Why in the world would he do that with a Glock (or any gun for that matter, but especially a Glock)?
I'd venture to guess his lack of a holster is because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing with a firearm. It sounds like he also may have been carrying it loaded with FMJs, since he was still able to walk afterwards.

If nothing else, this dipstick should get a felony charge on his record that prevents him from purchasing, owning or even handling firearms for the rest of his natural life. He's a menace to society.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back