New to the CC world, need some opinions

sr975j

Hey everyone, I just joined this site today. My dad just got his CCL a few months ago and he got me interested in it. He carries a Sig 226 .40. I turn 21 in a few months and would like some opinions on what would be a good CCW weapon for me. I do have a few general standards to begin with. I would like it to be a .40. Around 600 dollars...and lastly, not a piece of junk of course. I am 6'1" and weigh about 280 so im not a small guy. I wear jeans and a t shirt year round and add a sweatshirt in the colder months. But thats pretty much all i ever wear. Can I get a few opinions on what would be a good CCW weapon for me. I am very new to the CC world and do not know much about guns yet. I plan on learning, thats why I joined this site.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, I will probably be carrying on the waistband, not sure about in or out yet.

Sam

Take a good look, read the reviews for, and shoot (find a range that rents if possible) the Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols... I just bought the 45acp full size. Cost me $569.00 +Tax. The .40S&W should be a little less. I also ordered the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB concealment holster for same weapon.

Crossbreed Holsters > Home

You will have to shoot many and choose the one that works for you. Find a range that rents and try a few types and makes. Keep notes of the types and calibers and ammo used. See what works for you!!! It's your personal protection weapon NOT a conversation/show piece. Size, manageable recoil, comfort, and your ability to shoot with accuracy and consistency in a life and death situation should be the deciding factors. Good luck and welcome to the site. Keep us informed on your progress and final decision.

thanks a lot for the input. i do have a local range, Target World, here in cincinnati. I know im going to have to spend some time there and see what works for me. I was just wondering if there was someone with a similar build to me that really liked one pistol above all others for CC. I definitely look forward to trying several, at least 15, different types and calibers out.

Sam

Kahr PM40

I am very close to your size, only a lot older. I also wear jeans all the time. I carry a Kahr PM40 in a RL Graham pocket holster. You can't tell it's there and very easy to access. I also carry a Colt 45 in a Galco Concealable sometimes, but the Kahr is with me 99% of the time. Hope this helps.

By posting this I got rid of the Notice telling me I needed to post something.:to_pick_ones_nose:

You will have to shoot many and choose the one that works for you. Find a range that rents and try a few types and makes. Keep notes of the types and calibers and ammo used. See what works for you!!! It's your personal protection weapon NOT a conversation/show piece. Size, manageable recoil, comfort, and your ability to shoot with accuracy and consistency in a life and death situation should be the deciding factors. Good luck and welcome to the site. Keep us informed on your progress and final decision.

NO truer words. What works for Joe or Al or Pete may just not be the best fit for you.
Sounds like you come from a family familiar with guns, hence have some idea what your "ideal" is.
Good luck and welcome aboard. :pleasantry:

A good concealed weapon.

Sam, I recommend you purchase a Sig Sauer 238. I suggest you take a look at You Tube and look at the clips of Nutnfancy. He is really good and he will give you comparisons in detail of concealed guns.

Richard

thanks a lot for the input. i do have a local range, Target World, here in cincinnati. I know im going to have to spend some time there and see what works for me. I was just wondering if there was someone with a similar build to me that really liked one pistol above all others for CC. I definitely look forward to trying several, at least 15, different types and calibers out.

Sam

I am almost exactly your build, but older (56). IMO, you'll find the weapon you like soon enough (I carry an XD .45, FWIW) but I think the bigger issue will be comfortable carry. After a lot of trial and error, I carry very comfortably with a Mernickle slide holster worn on the strong side hip at about 5 o'clock. Any farther forward and I find the gun to be canted too far forward and it tends to drag my pants down. At 5 o'clock, the weapon rides nicely, is more readily concealable, and can be drawn very rapidly. My .02 cents

Welcome to our world and be sure to get some SERIOUS training, even if it costs a few bucks. Makes all the difference in the world.

Probably the only choice that is even more personal than boxers or briefs. Like everyone says, you need to handle them all (gun shows are great for this), narrow down a short list of what feels good in the hand and go shoot those, and the process will narrow down and you will pick your first carry gun, after which you will buy more guns and the process still continues.

The most important thing is that you will carry it. There are a lot of cowboys out there with a .50 Desert Eagle that lays in the dresser drawer because it pulls their pants down. I wear shorts most of the time and have a nice Beretta but it stays home and I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT right front pocket as my primary weapon ... because I will!

Welcome to the lifestyle.

Welcome to the show, sr975j...

Don't over the GLOCK compacts. I carry the 26 (9mm) and really like it!

Good luck in your search!!!

You should shoot several pistols and see which one suits you best, i.e. which one fits best in your hand, budget, et al. In the end, if you get a piece that's made by a reputable factory- it really depends what speaks to you most. The parady between the top manufacturers is so tight. As far as a holster goes, I picked up a crossbreed IWB supertuck with j hooks and crossbreed belt for my Springfield XD M and have been overly impressed with this rig. I'm 6'5"and range between 200-230 (winter-summer weights) and the all day comfort is impressive.

Sam,
Consider a Glock. They have them at Target World. I have a 9mm (Glock 19) but you may like others as well. Dont' pick what others tell you to pick though, just consider them and try them out before you buy. If you are in Cincinnati, go to the gun store in Newtown. If you get there early on Saturday no one is there and you'll get lots of attention.

I use a IWB holster and tuck my t-shirt. You'd never know it!

This is one of those questions that is asked a lot of times here and other places. If this thread lasts long enough you may get 30. 40, 50 different opinions. First suggestion don't let price be the number one criteria. Second go to a gun show or dealer and handle as many variety's as you can. Then if possible find a range that rents different guns and shoot several. I think what you should look for first is reliability. Next make sure it is not to big. What you think is doable for a concealed carry gun, after wearing it all day your mind might change.

Probably the only choice that is even more personal than boxers or briefs. Like everyone says, you need to handle them all (gun shows are great for this), narrow down a short list of what feels good in the hand and go shoot those, and the process will narrow down and you will pick your first carry gun, after which you will buy more guns and the process still continues.

Then you get a bad case of GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and you’ll need new boxers or briefs.:sarcastic:

Shoppin for 'em can be as much fun as shootin 'em...:yes4:

Try all kinds and have fun doing so. When you hold the right one then shoot it you'll know...

wow thanks guys (and gals, dont want to offend anyone). i will keep in mind everything you have said. i really didnt expect to get this much input. its really going to help in the end. I still have 5 months until i turn 21 so i have plenty of time to look around and see what works.
will i have any trouble with people at gun shows or ranges letting me hold or shoot the guns if im not 21? I just dont know how this whole scenario works yet.

Sam

wow thanks guys (and gals, dont want to offend anyone). i will keep in mind everything you have said. i really didnt expect to get this much input. its really going to help in the end. I still have 5 months until i turn 21 so i have plenty of time to look around and see what works.
will i have any trouble with people at gun shows or ranges letting me hold or shoot the guns if im not 21? I just dont know how this whole scenario works yet.

Sam

Nah... you shouldn't get any flack about wanting to check out various models... Most salesmen are going to help out a potential customer.. even if that customer won't be a paying customer for a few more months:biggrin:

Spend time at a local range that lets you fire a variety of handguns, but also, spend a little time figuring out what you need. I favored concealability, so that eliminated the full sized frames. I limited my search to handguns within in a 5"x7" envelope. I wanted a single stack magazine, again for concealability, and I wanted a reasonable caliber which for me was the same 40 s/w. Finally, I wanted a gun that I could handle. Buy a box of hollow points when you go test out the guns. There can be a big difference in felt recoil. In the final analysis I went with a Sig P239 chambered in 40 s/w. It's easy to conceal (I use a Mitch Rosen USDII holster) and deadly accurate. It's a bit more expensive than you wanted, so it might not be a choice, but the logic is what you should use. Don't be in a rush to buy. Be in a rush to try.

The local dealer that I go to all the time, First Defense Firearms (www.firstdefensefirearms.com) went out of his way to answer my questions and allow me to hold all different types. I told him I was just looking for now, but that didn't change the way he dealt with me. I bought 2 from him so far and he knows I'll be back for more + supplies and such. If they have issues with that then take your business some place else. Same as the firearm choice, Choose the dealer that makes you feel comfortable.

well i ran into my first issue involving me not being 21 quite yet. i went to bass pro today because its the closest gun shop to my house. I was asking about the sig 226, he started taking it out of the case then asked for my i.d....so i gave it to him, he told me i couldnt even touch it until i was 21. Theres a real ball buster. it looks like im waiting 5 more months until i can even come close to making a decision. :wacko:

Sam

I am smaller and older than you, but I carry a Glock 27 .40 with a Pearce magazine extension for a better grip. I bet if you picked up a Glock 36 .45 with mag extension, you'll fall in love with it. Single stack 6 round mag, but thin enough for comfortable concealed carry. I also carry an M&P .45 OWB when I wear a sweatshirt or light jacket.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back