New Poll Open Carry

My state allows open carry and concealed carry with a permit. I know quite a few with permits that conceal carry, but seldom see anyone open carry. Had a guy come to a yard sale carrying once. Seemed to have an attitude, like he was some bad ass. He didn't know I was standing behind him, with a gun also. Hard to figure out who carries when concealed, but open carry is spotted right away. Advantage: Concealed Carry.

My state allows open carry and concealed carry with a permit. I know quite a few with permits that conceal carry, but seldom see anyone open carry. Had a guy come to a yard sale carrying once. Seemed to have an attitude, like he was some bad ass. He didn't know I was standing behind him, with a gun also. Hard to figure out who carries when concealed, but open carry is spotted right away. Advantage: Concealed Carry.

Sent from my SM-N920T using USA Carry mobile app

My, how your "story" has changed!

First, he came to your "yard sale" open carrying and you smugly noted that you had your pistol concealed... Thinking this man a fool for OCing.
That he had no clue that you also had a gun, just concealed on your person..

Now he "has an attitude" when he shows up open carrying?

Before, you commented how oblivious he was and that you had a gun, as if his spider sense should have gone off once he got within 7 yards

Go home troll.

Link Removed

And you think the guy open carrying thought he was a bad ass? Looks to me like you thought you were the biggest bad ass with your attitude of being able to sneak up on the guy with your concealed carry.

Sometimes I think some concealed carriers are wandering around just waiting for a chance to whip out their super secret ninja concealed carry element of surprise so they can prove they are the biggest bad ass their element of surprise concealed carry makes them think they are.

And yes open carry is spotted right away... that is one of the advantages of open carry. The bad guy spots the open carrier and knows that guy has a gun to shoot back with so the bad guy waits for the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like every other easy prey schmuck that doesn't have a gun. I would much rather have the bad guy pass me up because he saw my open carry gun than to have to respond, maybe shoot and have to go through all the crap the aftermath entails, than have the bad guy pick me because my concealed carry made me look like I don't have a gun.

What most people don't understand is that open carry and concealed carry both have the element of surprise. The element of surprise is nothing more than the bad guy being surprised to discover his intended prey has a gun. But it is much better for the intended prey if the bad guy is "surprised" to see an open carried gun and call off his attack than for the intended prey to show he has a concealed gun AFTER being attacked.

But then... that doesn't allow some concealed carriers the chance to show the bad guy they are the biggest bad ass now does it?

And you think the guy open carrying thought he was a bad ass? Looks to me like you thought you were the biggest bad ass with your attitude of being able to sneak up on the guy with your concealed carry.

Sometimes I think some concealed carriers are wandering around just waiting for a chance to whip out their super secret ninja concealed carry element of surprise so they can prove they are the biggest bad ass their element of surprise concealed carry makes them think they are.

And yes open carry is spotted right away... that is one of the advantages of open carry. The bad guy spots the open carrier and knows that guy has a gun to shoot back with so the bad guy waits for the concealed carrier because the concealed carrier looks like every other easy prey schmuck that doesn't have a gun. I would much rather have the bad guy pass me up because he saw my open carry gun than to have to respond, maybe shoot and have to go through all the crap the aftermath entails, than have the bad guy pick me because my concealed carry made me look like I don't have a gun.

What most people don't understand is that open carry and concealed carry both have the element of surprise. The element of surprise is nothing more than the bad guy being surprised to discover his intended prey has a gun. But it is much better for the intended prey if the bad guy is "surprised" to see an open carried gun and call off his attack than for the intended prey to show he has a concealed gun AFTER being attacked.

But then... that doesn't allow some concealed carriers the chance to show the bad guy they are the biggest bad ass now does it?

I didn't "sneak up" on anybody. The Yard Sale was at my house. And I was referring to the attitude of the guy open carrying. Even my wife and friend that was there commented on the way he acted. Not saying all open carriers are like that. But that was our experience. He just seemed like someone trying to get attention for himself. I guess you just had to be there, But you weren't.

I didn't "sneak up" on anybody. The Yard Sale was at my house. And I was referring to the attitude of the guy open carrying. Even my wife and friend that was there commented on the way he acted. Not saying all open carriers are like that. But that was our experience. He just seemed like someone trying to get attention for himself. I guess you just had to be there, But you weren't.
You are correct... I wasn't there. Yet I have seen many posts on different forums where some CC'er had his chest all puffed up in manly pride because he was carrying concealed and no one around him knew it... as if carrying concealed gave him some kind of super secret ninja element of surprise ability to whip out his hidden gun and be the hero.

Here are your own words and I underlined the important part for emphasis....

Originally Posted by SR9 View Post

So who has the bad ass attitude? I would say both of you. But then, I wasn't there and all I have to go on is your own words. And your own words allude to concealed carry having the advantage of being able to sneak up on someone because they don't know you were, and I quote.... "standing behind him, with a gun also".

As for that open carrier not being representative of all open carriers? I agree and I also understand that not all concealed carriers have the attitude of being some kind of bad ass because they have a hidden gun that no one knows about.

Advantage: Concealed Carry.

It all depends upon which advantage you want to rely upon the most.

Link Removed
Deterrence is a strategy for peace, not war, designed primarily to persuade opponents that aggression of any kind is the least attractive of all alternatives.
Fear of punishment, not promise of reward, is most likely to keep foreign armed forces from riding roughshod. Military power is especially persuasive when coupled with clear intent to inflict frightful wounds if attackers leave no alternative.

Six Elements of Special Operations
The element of surprise in any military encounter cannot be underestimated. If the enemy are not expecting you then they will not be prepared. If you can catch them eating, sleeping or otherwise away from their weapons, you have them cold.

By carrying openly I am seeking the advantage of allowing the criminal to decide that it just isn't worth it to attack me for whatever they hope to gain through the attack. It is a strategy for peace - peace for myself and my family.

The element of surprise is a tactic that is designed to enhance the effectiveness of an attack or counter-attack - not a means to prevent the attack in the first place.

So, are you seeking the advantage of increasing your chances of not being attacked at all, or are you seeking an advantage to improve the effectives of your own counter attack after the aggressor has initiated the initial attack?

Now certainly you can point to this:
If they have an inkling of what you might do, whether by intelligence or simple analysis of possibilities, then they may place booby traps, set an ambush or just be on a higher state of readiness.

But one must ask - how often is the common street criminal we are likely to encounter going to go to such lengths to attack a person they know to be armed when they can just wait for the armed person to leave or go down the street two blocks and attack the next person who is not visibly armed when the potential gains from the attack are no less?

And if the criminal is seeking to obtain a gun - there are a helluva lot easier and less dangerous ways to do so then attempt to take it from the person carrying it.

Link Removed
Deterrence is a strategy for peace, not war, designed primarily to persuade opponents that aggression of any kind is the least attractive of all alternatives.
Fear of punishment, not promise of reward, is most likely to keep foreign armed forces from riding roughshod. Military power is especially persuasive when coupled with clear intent to inflict frightful wounds if attackers leave no alternative.

The element of surprise in any military encounter cannot be underestimated. If the enemy are not expecting you then they will not be prepared. If you can catch them eating, sleeping or otherwise away from their weapons, you have them cold.

By carrying openly I am seeking the advantage of allowing the criminal to decide that it just isn't worth it to attack me for whatever they hope to gain through the attack. It is a strategy for peace - peace for myself and my family.

The element of surprise is a tactic that is designed to enhance the effectiveness of an attack or counter-attack - not a means to prevent the attack in the first place.

So, are you seeking the advantage of increasing your chances of not being attacked at all, or are you seeking an advantage to improve the effectives of your own counter attack after the aggressor has initiated the initial attack?

If they have an inkling of what you might do, whether by intelligence or simple analysis of possibilities, then they may place booby traps, set an ambush or just be on a higher state of readiness.

But one must ask - how often is the common street criminal we are likely to encounter going to go to such lengths to attack a person they know to be armed when they can just wait for the armed person to leave or go down the street two blocks and attack the next person who is not visibly armed when the potential gains from the attack are no less?

And if the criminal is seeking to obtain a gun - there are a helluva lot easier and less dangerous ways to do so then attempt to take it from the person carrying it.

In the old days of USA Carry, I probably would've been lazy and just hit the "Like" button.

Today, however, please allow me to say........

BAM!

With a....

thumbs_up-2.jpg

....for good measure.

Link Removed

Well said and +1000

Thank you Sir. You are 100% correct, we have a law that states our rights as a legal citizen of the USA and we don't need any other laws to claim those rights stated in the Constitution Of The United States Of America.

Absolutely. Shouldn't be different than anywhere else. When Open carrying though, please be sure to use a strap or restraint of some type so should anyone go for your gun, they have to do more than just yank it out of the holster. I have seen many open carry in Walmart and other sporting stores with no straps or restraints.

I live in a Open Carry State and you very rarely see anyone carrying open. I have concealed carry permits from 2 states and carry all the time. I only open carry on my property when I'm working at home or at the farm.

I live in an actual permitless open carry state. I dont need a permit, so I got rid of my permit. I see a bunch of people carry openly every week.

Sent from my SM-N920T using USA Carry mobile app

I live in an actual permitless open carry state. I dont need a permit, so I got rid of my permit. I see a bunch of people carry openly every week.

I wish I could say the same, but unfortunately, the only one I ever see OC'ing here is the guy looking back at me from the mirror. I am not in town very often though. When I leave Dead Cell Holler, it's usually to go for a ride on my scooter and we stay on back-roads for the most part. Still, I've been OC'ing since Aug. of 2013 both here and where we moved from (in town, Huntsville, AL area) close to a year ago now, and I've yet to see another OC'er here. I've read about them and know of cases where OC'ers have been harassed by cops etc., but haven't seen another with my own eyes. It's weird, but I don't do it to follow the crowd, I do it because I believe it's the best, most efficient and most comfortable way to carry. I have not been hassled by cops at all, and hope it stays that way.

I really can't get rid of my permission slip though because it's illegal to OC in (or on) a vehicle without one. The sight of an openly carried weapon is not supposed to become the RAS or probable cause to stop somebody, but a cop who wants to stop the guy carrying a .45 openly while riding his Harley will find a rationale if he wants it, and I can't afford to fight the charge if one does that, so I keep the permission slip current. Hopefully we'll get permitless carry in (or on) vehicles too and I will definitely let the permission slip go if that happens.

Blues

Spent about 10 days in Wi. last year and saw open carry all the time. I have family there and they OC daily. Good to see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back