New Member Welcome Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, newbie from Greensboro, NC

Hello everyone! I posted elsewhere, cause I had a question.I'm new to shooting. I finally got my son, 23 years old, (who has an Ar 15, a CZ pistol, and a couple of shot guns) to take me to the gun shop.I decided after a couple of things happened here in Kansas City, that I needed a gun. I read everything I could possibly read, and practiced with the Glock BB gun. I'm 52 years old, female, and have shot with my dad, but I was around 15. my dad had a beautiful Smith and Wesson pistol, unfortunately he passed in 2009, and I didn't get into shooting till now. I'm comfortable with the guns, they don't bother me, as long as people are safe around them. I've taken a couple of classes and my son was impressed with my safety. My son got his conceal and carry a couple years ago, and I finally decided to get mine. We live here in Missouri. I really want to shoot. I want to shoot targets.

Today, first time at a range, I tried a Smith and Wesson, 380, a small pistol. I shot it three times to try it. My aim was actually pretty good. It was middle of the head target, middle of the throat target. But I got incredibly nervous, and froze after that. We had to go home. Aside that I was starving, I don't know why I got jittery and froze. I don't want to do that for my conceal and carry class on October 19th. I thought I'd be okay today. Infact, I'm saving my money for the Sigsauer p238, new. But I must get a Smith and Wesson. See what I mean? Owning the gun doesn't bother me,and I will treat it with utmost safety. Shooting it, is another story. My son said I did excellent,, and it's normal to be nervous. But it was so embarrassing. The Range manager was great. But I was embarrassed. And now I'm over analyzing it. We are going back tomorrow. I want the Smith and Wesson. Then we are going to the outdoor range.

Why did I freeze up like that? I'm determined to do this. Frustrating. Thanks!--Rhonlynn

Hello,

Just found this great website and I'm excited to learn more here and get to know others on the site. I'm an NRA certified instructor and love teaching women to shoot.

Paxsr9

Glad to have you with us. The more ladies that have familiarity with firearms - the less outrages against them. Now, as to your problem of "freezing."
This is nothing new to first-time shooters. The cure is concentartion on what you're doing (sight picture, breath control, proper grip, etc., etc.) and nothing else. Don't even think about your last shot but concentrate on your next shot. Also, don't shoot too many rounds at one session. Start out with just a few and then gradually increase the number of rounds until firing becomes second nature. This takes a little time and patience but you obviously have both the will and talent to become an excelebt marksman and I wish you good luck.

rpeckham
Washington, DC

P.S. I stongly recommend that you invest in a pair of quality electronic ear baffles. Personally, I use Peltor.

Correct dry practice prevents common live fire mistakes

If you train your muscle memory with dry practice before going to the range, you can avoid most of the common live fire problems. You don't get distracted by the bang, recoil and muzzle flip while training your muscles for proper stance, grip and trigger control. Then you will automatically react instead of having to think about everything. Once you've got this training, you're ready for the range.

Glad to have you with us. The more ladies that have familiarity with firearms - the less outrages against them. Now, as to your problem of "freezing."
This is nothing new to first-time shooters. The cure is concentartion on what you're doing (sight picture, breath control, proper grip, etc., etc.) and nothing else. Don't even think about your last shot but concentrate on your next shot. Also, don't shoot too many rounds at one session. Start out with just a few and then gradually increase the number of rounds until firing becomes second nature. This takes a little time and patience but you obviously have both the will and talent to become an excelebt marksman and I wish you good luck.

rpeckham
Washington, DC

P.S. I stongly recommend that you invest in a pair of quality electronic ear baffles. Personally, I use Peltor.

Been reading these boards off and on for the last year or so. Decided to join today! Washington DC here. Well, Virginia just outside of DC.

@FireRunner I hear there's been some interesting things happening with concealed cary in DC lately...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

Some DC judges can read the Constitution, but most of the politicians are still trying to keep honest people disarmed. Glad you're outside the district--and not on the Maryland side. Virginia is still reasonable. If you decide to move to friendlier territory, Florida's CCW is accepted in more states than any other as long as you're a resident, but you can get a non-resident FL CCW that's still good in quite a few states.

I'm a Frontsight ambassador, teaching their dry practice course. I've had quite a few women who were having trouble handling semi-autos, because the men who were trying to teach them had enough more hand strength that the way they did things didn't work for the women. I've learned the leverage techniques to make it easy to manipulate a semi-auto, and teach them to my female students. Anybody near north FL can sign up for one of my classes at: athometraining.frontsight.com. Other ambassadors all over the country also have classes scheduled--you can search them at the same site.

Yes, DC is trying to pass a "improved" gun bill that is technically the same as the previous one. The only difference is a person can apply for a CCP, but has to give "good reason" why they need to carry. Of course therein lies the problem. "Good reason" is debatable so who gives the right to the police chief to tell me I don't have "good reason". My family owns several businesses in DC and we've been robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight twice in the last six months. I've had my CCP in VA for years and shoot at the range 2-4 times a month. My background is perfect and I was a career fireman for eight years. But, I bet you 100% if I apply for a CCP in DC and tell them it's because I need to move money out each week and I need the gun for protection...they will still reject it.

I can understand DC is federal government. However, a very large portion of DC is not federal. They need to understand that. Not everyone here works for the government. In fact I would guess less than 25% of the population around here does.

Newbie from Kentucky,a big bluegrass howdy to all USA Carry & CC holders. I'm .38 SPL+P-Judge
I've been a CDWL,holder dating back to the days the Commonwealth of Ky.made it a Law.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back