New LEO Situation in SC

kelcarry

Reported in Charleston Post and Courier yesterday that an LEO spotted a speeding car and flashed blue to pull over. Instead the car sped up and actually spent some time in the middle turn lane bringing up dirt and debris as it sped out from the LEO. Jurisdictional change caused a new LEO to take up chase but apparently the car pulled over and stopped, but the new LEO was unaware of the fact and did not see the car. Eventually the LEO met up with the car, who was a woman, who was cursing and loudmouthing and trying to resist any discussion to the point where the LEO found it necessary to put woman on ground and handcuff her. As it turned out, the woman is a deputy sheriff and her husband is a lieutenant in the sheriff's office. She was not jailed and, as the major in the sheriff's office said, "her not being jailed had nothing to do with her husband's high position" and "it would not have served any purpose in having her put in jail". I am paraphrasing the comments and loosely interpreting the exact situation but, in general, what I have said is basically the story. I wrote to the paper and told them how relieved I am that I can now run from the law and still go home afterwards. Whadayathink? Personally, IMO, the deputy certainly should be looking for a new job and an attorney,and the major should be reprimanded for stupid quotes and maybe he should look for a new job.

What do I think? BS of the highest order. You can bet your ass that you or I would have been tossed in the hoosegow, no doubt about it. Once again, we see that what is sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander, as far as the "little people" are concerned.

Unless some type of special operation or investigation was the reason for the incident, "Inferno Repairs" (aka Internal Affairs) should conduct a formal investigation, and appropriate parties need to be disciplined.

gf

The end of the article states, "They were immediately notified," Garrison said. "We didn't try to hide or cover up anything on this one." Makes you wonder if and/or what they have covered up in the past.

The end of the article states, "They were immediately notified," Garrison said. "We didn't try to hide or cover up anything on this one." Makes you wonder if and/or what they have covered up in the past.

:laugh: Good point! Bet they wish they could re-phrase that.

There is no two ways about it. She got special treatment because she and her hubby are LEO. Real good public relations.

Hey Y'all: Today's (1/14) Post & Courier in Charleston, SC, in Section 1B, has the whole story. The officer is in the N. Charleston Police Dept and her rants and raves are incredible. Comments like "I routinely let fellow police officers off when speeding in their private autos" or "wait til my husband (the Lt. in the sheriff's office) hears about this--he'll have your ass" etc etc. She was glassy eyed, passing cars in the middle turn lane while running etc etc. If, after the required "review" she isn't fired, then I know everything is starting to go down the toilet.

Now we have a new twist on this case. The local police immediately issue their video/audio thou FOI request of the paper. The sheriff's department is reluctant due to legal mumbo jumbo. Nothing like adding more fuel to the fire over a coverup, since the officer was not arrested and happens to be the wife of a Lt. in the sheriff's department. I always thought the car and the video camera were owned by the taxpaying public and if requested, should be made available immediately--you can always argue about tampering but common sense tells you that tampering will more likely occur the longer the tape is not made available. Another stinking chapter in stupid LEOs.Getting to the point in this incident that not only should the N. Charleston police officer be fired, but the Sheriff of Dorchester County should find other work.

I am an LEO, she should have gone to jail and been fired. How can the public respect you and the job that you do when this level of unprofessional conduct is allowed?

I am an LEO, she should have gone to jail and been fired. How can the public respect you and the job that you do when this level of unprofessional conduct is allowed?

I agree she should have been fired and jailed. I am military and it happens here also. If you have a few airmen/soilders/marines/sailors (you get the point) go into town and get in trouble it brings bad credit to the entire base/unit. When off duty you must act in a professional manner and treat everyone as though you are in uniform and you must also behave. I know I would absolutly hate my self if I did something that made the greater population think badly of my fellow troops. You never hear of a bad guy that did this and that ohh and happens to be LE or military instead its always An off duty LE or military person did this and that.

Hey MarionandJohn and Nanuk: Definiitely agree with you that she should be fired. Of course in this country we have to go thru a legal charade before that happens. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with her comments (if she makes any and decides to fight firing) and the obvious video/audio. Personally, the delay on the part of the sheriff's office to comply with Freedom of Information on the tapes, which was criticized in local press should also, IMO, the removal of the sheriff, as well. Her boss at N. Charleston police is a no-nonsense guy and I am sure a firing is in the cards. The shame of this is that other less professional local area police will probably hire her because of her experience and, based on budgets, the savings they can accrue by picking up an experienced officer. On America's Most Wanted, they have profiled the case several times of a guy named Dan Hier, who murdered his wife and is still on the run. He was a rogue cop from almost day one, was dismissed from more than one department and continually was hired by others who chose to look the other way because it was a cheap way to get an experienced officer into a patrol car.

Latest news on this story. It was reported today that this lady officer and the N. Charleston PD have parted ways. The Chief did not say whether she was fired or not, but knowing him, I would think he has had enough since her case was postponed til mid Feb. You can bet she was fired. Just the idea that these stories take as long as they do with crap about "the legal system" and "due diligence" infuriate me. In this case there is no he said, she said. The video and audio hang her right off the bat and the fact that she never was sent to jail after abusing and assaulting the officer is another black eye. I hope the Sheriff had a nice conversation with his deputy whose "discretion" in this case was not exactly what I wanted to hear since he was assaulted and yet let her go home (could it be that his immediate boss is the officer's husband?). All in all, a lousy story about bad policing. Makes you thnin twice about the many posters who tend to view the police, when they are CC, with a degree of suspicion.

Does not look good!!

Yeah, she really never gave a reason to anyone for her erradic behavior and they had to put something in the paper in case anyone witnessed the altercation on the highway. We will probablly never hear the truth about this one...

Guys and Ladies, that STUFF has ben going on since theres ben police departments, and unfortunatly always will:angry:

Because if she had hit someone while running it would have made them less dead than if someone else had hit them while doing the same thing.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back