Nato 9mm ammo, does your gun like it?

Rocketgeezer

Anybody tryed the winchester 9mm nato ammo at wall mart, how does it operate in your pistol ? in my Taurus the stuff stovepipes on almost every round, but it goes thru the Glock like butter ?...............and before anybody starts on the Taurus being a pos, have had this gun for a year and a half, PT - 709, and it shoots anything, brass, alum, steel, coated steel, and many reloads

I also buy most of my ammo at Walmart. Lately they have had 9mm Federal for 9.47 per box. To answer your question though I did buy a box of this and it ran fine through both my PT92 and CZ75 D. Cleaned the gun lately, and check the ejector.

I also buy most of my ammo at Walmart. Lately they have had 9mm Federal for 9.47 per box. To answer your question though I did buy a box of this and it ran fine through both my PT92 and CZ75 D. Cleaned the gun lately, and check the ejector.

Yes I do to, in fact we have several hundred rds of the Federal, kills paper just fine, but I seen this stuff and decided to try it, and the gun was clean and lubed, its not really a big deal just wanted everybody to know, if your 9mm is touchy with ammo do not buy the Nato ammo

I love the Taurus 92 for these things: It always eats what I give it and it has never let me down. I don't own the model you have but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. My guess is it is the ammo if everything is cleaned and lubed and the ejector is in good working order. If any other ammo ever gives you problems the ejector and recoil spring would be my first places to look. Glad I'm not the only Taurus fan on here.:yu:

Isn't this a comparison of fully supported chamber (Taurus) versus not (Glock). I know my G30 (.45) the chamber is not fully supported, and the .40s as well, I am assuming that is Glock design. At any rate, that would explain why the Glock wouldn't stovepipe and the Taurus might. The Glock wouldn't have as tight of a grip on the casing at time of ejection so it would be easier to fling free, while the Taurus would have extra friction and alignment to overcome.

I have used both it and Federal that I bought from Wal Mart in my HK and my Glock and both guns feed each brand like a champ. I have not tried any of my other guns with it lately though.

Another thought that comes to mind about the 9mm N.A.T.O. ammunition is that it might not have enough powder/cordite in the case thereby causing the slide to not fully retract. If anyone has the means to take the cartridge apart and weigh the powder inside, it would be interesting to know if it is an underpowered load.

If they are truly NATO rounds they will have more than enough power to function a slide. I don't have any sold at Walmart but I do have actual 9mm NATO rounds that I shoot. Every 9mm that I own eats them like candy!

"If they are truly NATO rounds they will have more than enough power to function a slide" That is another question, are they really N.A.T.O. rounds? I don't think the Government would skimp on the powder.

If they are truly NATO rounds they will have more than enough power to function a slide. I don't have any sold at Walmart but I do have actual 9mm NATO rounds that I shoot. Every 9mm that I own eats them like candy!

True NATO ammo does - or at least did - have plenty of power to cycle anything. Remember the "slide cracking" incidents on the Beretta P92/M9 pistols? The issue was that the NATO ammo is much hotter than anything that they had ever tested with. I believe it is at +P levels.

Of couse things change.

I also buy most of my ammo at Walmart. Lately they have had 9mm Federal for 9.47 per box.

9MMAmmo.jpg

For ammunition for practice there is but one choice. Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ 9 MM from Wal-Mart. They don't always have it. With that said it is becoming more and more avaliable as the economy worsens, and people are simply running out of money.

The Wal-Mart by me has had it in stock for several weeks now, instead of just sporadically as was the case for months after Hussein's coronation when any and all ammunition was scarce. It sells for $9.47 a box. It is good ammo, and you won't find it any cheaper anywhere. I live just 2 miles from the Glendale, Arizona Cabela's, and the cheapest 9 MM they have is some off brand Hungarian ammo, (MES), or some such brand, and they want $11.00+ a box for it.

I totally believe this price will not last. In fact, I'm surprised it has lasted this long. My Wal-Mart still has a 6 box limit per family, per day. My wife shops there for groceries at least twice a week. Every time she goes she picks up 6 boxes. I will generally go at least once a week and I do the same. I'm averaging around 12 to 18 boxes per week. I have stockpiled right around 8,000 rounds so far. I have zero intentions of slowing down my purchasing. I learned my lesson the hard way.

About 3 or 4 years back Wal-Mart sold CCI Blazer Brass in .45 ACP for $9.95 a box of 50. I bought several thousand rounds over a 2 year period, but no where near enough. .45 ACP at Wal-Mart today has risen to $20.00+ per box for the same ammunition. It has in fact over doubled, and done so practically overnight. Back then 9 MM FMJ ammo was going for right around $7.97 per box of 50. So, while the .45 ACP has over doubled, the 9 MM has only risen approximately $1.50 per box. This simply doesn't add up. This is my basis that the current $9.47 per box price for 9 MM will not last.

I currently own a total of 7 handguns chambered for the 9 MM round, and one 9 MM AR-15 carbine. All of this ammo will get shot up, and in fairly short order because my wife shoots as well. I will continue to "average buy" this stuff at this price much like a stock that drops low enough to become a bargain.

Another thing is you have to understand how Wal-Mart operates with large vendors like Federal. They sign a large contract up front that will guarantee a certain price for so long, involving so much product to be delivered and sold at a given price. After the contract expires the price and amount of said product is then renegotiated. This is when I think the $9.47 per box price will disappear on the Federal. It only makes sense simply because no other vendor can come close to this price as it stands now. Federal is not stupid. They are not about to sell ammo for $2.00 to $3.00 a box cheaper than the going rate unless they are locked into the deal. The bottom line is you will pay now, or else your going to pay a lot more later. That is the method to my madness. As always your mileage may vary. Bill T.

Shoots perfectly through my Glock 19 and also my wife's Taurus PT-111 (manufactured in 2000).

I would say there is an issue with your Taurus if it won't shoot these, or maybe you got a bad box? Have you tried another box from another store?

Billt,

I believe stores must follow the national policy of Wal-Mart, and the 6-box limit has been lifted. Not that YOU need more than 6 more boxes. :biggrin:

Billt,

I believe stores must follow the national policy of Wal-Mart, and the 6-box limit has been lifted. Not that YOU need more than 6 more boxes. :biggrin:

I ask every time I go in, and as of last week the 6 box limit was still in play at my local Wal-Mart. Now, perhaps the sales lady is misinforming me, I don't know. But to be truthful, I don't mind the limit, and here is why. When all of this ammo buying craziness started after the election, and Wal-Mart imposed the 6 box limit, I talked to the Sporting Goods Manager at my local Wal-Mart. He told me the reason for it was because they were having a big problem with small, local gun shop owners coming in and literally buying every box of ammo they had. They then would take it back to their stores, mark it up, and put it out on their shelves. He told me one guy came in and bought over $2,500.00 worth, and about 15 minutes later another guy bought over $1,900.00 worth, cleaning them out of ammunition for over a week. He said he told the store manager what had just happened, who then called the home office in Bentonville, Arkansas to report to them what was happening, and they told him this was occurring all over the country. Shortly after that the 6 box limit was imposed. He said Wal-Mart does not like placing limits on purchases, but in this case they had no choice.

Wal-Mart has the same problem when they put candy on sale. Vending machine operators come in and purchase cases of it because Wal-Mart's sale prices are lower than their dealer prices for the same stuff. Wal-Mart has such buying power from these large companies they can get prices no one else can come close to matching, even places like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop's on things like ammo. So with that being the case, I don't mind having to make a couple of trips a week to circumvent that kind of situation. It's inconvenient to be sure, but at least it assures there is ammo to buy. It irritates me that the people doing this are the same people we are supposed to support because big, bad companies like Wal-Mart are driving them out of business. While I do sympathize with their economic situation, I've got to worry more about my own. Bill T.

I've never had a lick of problems with this Federal ammo in any of my firearms. Yea, you can't beat the price either. :laugh:

I ask every time I go in, and as of last week the 6 box limit was still in play at my local Wal-Mart. Now, perhaps the sales lady is misinforming me, I don't know. But to be truthful, I don't mind the limit, and here is why. When all of this ammo buying craziness started after the election, and Wal-Mart imposed the 6 box limit, I talked to the Sporting Goods Manager at my local Wal-Mart. He told me the reason for it was because they were having a big problem with small, local gun shop owners coming in and literally buying every box of ammo they had. They then would take it back to their stores, mark it up, and put it out on their shelves. He told me one guy came in and bought over $2,500.00 worth, and about 15 minutes later another guy bought over $1,900.00 worth, cleaning them out of ammunition for over a week. He said he told the store manager what had just happened, who then called the home office in Bentonville, Arkansas to report to them what was happening, and they told him this was occurring all over the country. Shortly after that the 6 box limit was imposed. He said Wal-Mart does not like placing limits on purchases, but in this case they had no choice.

Wal-Mart has the same problem when they put candy on sale. Vending machine operators come in and purchase cases of it because Wal-Mart's sale prices are lower than their dealer prices for the same stuff. Wal-Mart has such buying power from these large companies they can get prices no one else can come close to matching, even places like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop's on things like ammo. So with that being the case, I don't mind having to make a couple of trips a week to circumvent that kind of situation. It's inconvenient to be sure, but at least it assures there is ammo to buy. It irritates me that the people doing this are the same people we are supposed to support because big, bad companies like Wal-Mart are driving them out of business. While I do sympathize with their economic situation, I've got to worry more about my own. Bill T.

I agree with you. In the end, you have to make sure your bases are covered. I try to spread out my buying to a few of the gun shops in our area, but when 9mm is less than ten dollars a box the choice is simple.

My wife and I just purchased another 12 boxes of the Federal 115 Gr. 9 MM FMJ today, and the 6 box limit is still in place. They have plenty, and plenty in the back. At least that is what the sales lady told me. A lot of .40 S&W on hand as well. Bill T.

I have an Auto Ordnance 9mm slide kit that I installed on my MetroArms Firestorm .45 frame. That is my "utility gun" and I switch it between .45, 9mm and .22. The gun runs much better with the 124 grain 9mm ammo. Also, there has been some discussion on other forums about Armscor recommending 124 grain ammo for their 9mm 1911's.

From an SD perspective, a heavier bullet at the same or higher velocity is often recommended. Personally, I am liking that logic.

JMHO,
CharlieW

To answer the original question regarding NATO 9mm Luger ammunition.

Yes, all of my 9mm Luger pistols are high quality and will eat and spit out 9mm (M882) ball ammo without fail.

Glock 17 and 19.

Beretta 92fs

Sig P226 and P228.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back