National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2017

yada..yada..yada...not one response to the fact that in many so-called "gun friendly" states ccw permit holders are treated like children who can't be trusted to carry a firearm in a long list of places, while in NY ccw permit holders have no such restrictions. Where do guys lock up your guns when you go to all those gun free zones in your state?

I responded to it appropriately - all permit schemes suck.

How much did the state of NY extort from you to give you "unrestricted" permission to exercise the rights you already owned?

The slave mentality is killing this country just as fast as your masters are. Ever had a solution to anything that didn't involve government intervention, nogods? Of course not. It's not in a lawyer's interest to cut the government out of the equation. You have been trained well, just like this little guy:

I responded to it appropriately - all permit schemes suck.

How much did the state of NY extort from you to give you "unrestricted" permission to exercise the rights you already owned?

The slave mentality is killing this country just as fast as your masters are. Ever had a solution to anything that didn't involve government intervention, nogods? Of course not. It's not in a lawyer's interest to cut the government out of the equation. You have been trained well, just like this little guy:

There are no ex-lawyers. Once a lawyer, always a lawyer and being a defense attorney for the state of NY's gun laws would be comparable to defending Nidal Hasan. Indefensible. Maybe a defense of NYC gun laws will be forthcoming.

I'm not sure what the issue is to be honest. Everybody that's responded to the post is AGAINST National Reciprocity. It's not like we're embracing this national idiocy and even remotely praising our current states other than moving this reciprocity discussion where it belongs. With the states. All states are derelict to varying degrees but handing it off to the Feds is just insanity.

I know South Carolina gun laws were the foil used in the example, and I know little about them, but holding up NY state as some sort of gold standard for state CC laws is just humorous.

The Place to Be

That NY Kool-aid is some potent stuff :wink: and what he is trying to drown out with the yada yada chant.

• Limited to 1 handgun purchase every 90 days
  • Proof of gun safe when 5th handgun purchased. (yes, they are counting)
  • REGISTRATION of ALL handguns.
  • Requires a permit to even OWN a handgun and keep in your home.
  • Cannot have firearm on any school property (can't drop off or pick up children at school with gun in vehicle)
  • Carry permits are usually only issued to retired LEOs, celebrities, and armed guards.
  • Carry permits are issued on a "may issue" basis.
  • 5-round long gun and 10-round handgun magazine limits, but you can only put 7 boolets in your 10 round magazine.
  • Point-of-sale background checks on ammunition purchasers, in a manner similar to background checks conducted on firearm purchasers
  • NFA weapons are outlawed.
  • Youths between ages 14 and 21 may shoot a handgun at a range only if they are under the supervision of a military officer or licensed professional.
  • Total ban of 'assault weapons' including handgun and shotgun with some features.
  • ALL Previously owned 'assault' weapons must be registered. (which can include handguns and shotguns)
  • The Desert Eagle is even classified as an 'assault weapon' because it weighs over 50 ounces.
  • A family member must be 'licensed' to shoot handgun registered to another family member. (If you wife is home alone and someone breaks in, she better grab the gun registered to her, not yours).
  • No open carry

And so it begins......

Congressional Democrats Are Attempting To Attach An Anti-Gun Bill To National Reciprocity

This just on from Congressman Thomas Massie, House Democrats are going to attempt to add an anti-gun bill, HR4477, to the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act that will be up for a vote this coming week. From the Congressman:

ALERT: Feinstein/Schumer sponsored gun legislation that amends the 'Brady bill' will be added to Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill (HR 38) in the House this week.

As Chairman of the Second Amendment Caucus, I'm blowing the whistle on the swamp. Last week, Republicans in the House fast tracked through committee HR 4477, a gun bill titled 'fix-NICS.' The Senate version of this bill is cosponsored by Senator Dianne Feintstein and Senator Chuck Schumer and it will send $625 million over 5 years to states to expand the national background check database. The bill will also advance former President Obama's agenda of pressuring every branch of the administration (such as the Veteran's Administration) to submit thousands of more names to the NICS background check database to deny gun purchases. The House bill is identical in every way to the Senate bill except the House bill will also commission a study on bump-stocks.

What you don't know, and what virtually no one in Washington wants you to know, is that House leadership plans to merge the fix-NICS bill with popular Concealed Carry Reciprocity legislation, HR 38, and pass both of them with a single vote. Folks, this is how the swamp works. House leadership expects constituents to call their representatives demanding a vote on the reciprocity bill, when in fact the only vote will be on the two combined bills.

How fast did Fix-NICS, HR 4477, move through the Judiciary Committee? This bill broke the previous records for fast track legislation. It was voted out of committee within hours of being introduced in the House. Check the dates on this link. That means the text of the bill wasn't even discoverable by the public on congress.gov until after the bill passed out of committee! The text was however available over in the Senate where you will find Senator Diane Feinstein and Senator Chuck Schumer are cosponsors. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2135/cosponsors.

If that's not odd enough, consider this: the fix-NICS bill was introduced in the House by a Democrat two weeks ago. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/4434/text. But, in a very unusual move, the bill was re-introduced verbatim by a Republican two weeks later, with language added to it to commission a bump-stock study. Six Republicans in Judiciary Committee weren't persuaded by the switcheroo, and voted No. However, because every Democrat voted yes and some Republicans voted yes at the urging of the Chairman, the bill made it out of committee. The deed will be complete this week when the bill is quietly added to the Reciprocity bill, HR 38, and passed without the knowledge of those who would oppose the legislation if they knew what was in it.

To recap, what are some clues that you should be concerned with the fix-NICS bill?

(1) The first sentence after the title of the bill reads "Section 103 of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (34 U.S.C. 40901) is amended ... "

(2) Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are cosponsors in the Senate.

(3) It's being rammed through, without a hearing, in a very nontransparent process, and it will be passed by attaching it to the popular concealed carry reciprocity bill which already has enough votes to pass on its own.

(4) It spends over half a billion dollars to collect more names to include in a list of people who will never be allowed to own a firearm.

(5) It compels administrative agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.

In my opinion, #5 is the biggest problem. The bill encourages administrative agencies, not the courts, to submit more names to a national database that will determine whether you can or can't obtain a firearm. When President Obama couldn't get Congress to pass gun control, he implemented a strategy of compelling, through administrative rules, the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration to submit lists of veterans and seniors, many of whom never had a day in court, to be included in the NICS database of people prohibited from owning a firearm. Only a state court, a federal (article III) court, or a military court, should ever be able to suspend your rights for any significant period of time.

Does the NICS background check system have problems? Yes, it results in tens of thousands of unjustified denials of gun purchases every year. But like many bills in Congress, the fix-NICS doesn't live up to its name, it will likely do the opposite. It throws millions of dollars at a faulty program and it will result in more law-abiding citizens being deprived of their right to keep and bear arms.

If we continue to give the executive branch more money and encouragement to add names to the list of people prohibited from buying a firearm (without a day in court) and if the gun banners achieve their goal of universal background checks, one day, a single person elected to the office of President will be able to achieve universal gun prohibition.

House leadership should immediately de-couple the fix-NICS legislation from the concealed carry reciprocity legislation. People hate it when Washington combines bills like our leadership plans to do this week.

A few have speculated that the House is combining the bills to ensure reciprocity will pass in the Senate. I have some news for them: Senators Feinstein and Schumer aren't going to vote for reciprocity even if it contains the fix-NICS legislation they support for expanding the background check database. If someone is naïve enough to think that's going to work, and they're willing to accept fix-NICS to get reciprocity, then they should ask the Senate to go first with the combined bill.

Here's a dangerous scenario that's more likely to play out: The House uses the popularity of reciprocity (HR 38) to sneak fix-NICS through, while the Senate passes fix-NICS only. The Senate and the House meet at conference with their respective bills, with the result being fix-NICS emerges from conference without reciprocity. Fix-NICS comes back to the House and passes because all of the Democrats will vote for it (as they just did in Judiciary Committee) and many Republicans will vote for it. Because Republicans already voted for it once as part of the reciprocity deal that never came to pass, they won't have a solid footing for opposing fix-NICS as a standalone bill. Then we'll end up with fix-NICS, which is basically an expansion of the Brady Bill, without reciprocity.

If our House leadership insists on bringing the flawed fix-NICS bill to the floor, they shouldn't play games. We should vote separately on HR 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill, and HR 4477, the fix-NICS bill. And we should be given enough time to amend the fix-NICS bill, because it needs to be fixed, if not axed.

Please take the time to contact your representatives tomorrow and tell them to do whatever they can to stop this from happening!

Details of the bill in question can be Link Removed.

SR9 :biggrin:

Where is that sniveling little coward now to apologize for all the accusations of "paranoia" and "liberal" he attached to our well-reasoned arguments against this insane legislation?

The Brady Bill is already Commerce Clause-based. Attaching riders to national reciprocity ensures that it's a gun-control bill, not a rights-expanding bill. If SR9 has an iota of concern over his credibility, he will return one last time to say he's sorry for all the denigration he leveled at well-meaning, well-informed and highly articulate opposition to the legislation he spent the last couple of years shilling for. No one spends several years on a board and just stops checking in. He's viewing this even if he's not posting. C'mon SR9, the cat's out of the bag. National reciprocity was never good for the Second Amendment. Now you have proof beyond any reasonable doubt. Save what little is left of your credibility on this site and just say "Oops, sorry guys, I just didn't get it until now."

Blues

He got mad because people didn't agree with him, and said he was leaving for other sites where others didn't challenge his views

His little "take my ball and go home" exit tantrum thread was apparently deleted entirely by the moderators.

Where is that sniveling little coward now to apologize for all the accusations of "paranoia" and "liberal" he attached to our well-reasoned arguments against this insane legislation?

The Brady Bill is already Commerce Clause-based. Attaching riders to national reciprocity ensures that it's a gun-control bill, not a rights-expanding bill. If SR9 has an iota of concern over his credibility, he will return one last time to say he's sorry for all the denigration he leveled at well-meaning, well-informed and highly articulate opposition to the legislation he spent the last couple of years shilling for. No one spends several years on a board and just stops checking in. He's viewing this even if he's not posting. C'mon SR9, the cat's out of the bag. National reciprocity was never good for the Second Amendment. Now you have proof beyond any reasonable doubt. Save what little is left of your credibility on this site and just say "Oops, sorry guys, I just didn't get it until now."

Blues
I totally expect him to wander back in and do a victory lap if this steaming pile gets passed.

It might be 3 years or it might be 7 years but at some point, real firearms owners will rue the day that this one slipped by us. So that they can do blanket revocation in the middle of the night for some unrelated firearms event that makes it "necessary" for homeland security. Mark my words.

The Place to Be

Probably a year or longer ago I wrote a response to "my" Congress-critter who had mailed something to me about how she supported national reciprocity. At the time there were at least three bills up for consideration (in the House at least, I think there were others in the Senate too). She was seeking opinions about which one her constituents favored, assuming of course, that they would favor the idea in the first place, which is probably true, but which is like steak to a hungry dog when a Congress-critter takes me for granted in any way, so I answered her (via email) similarly to the way(s) I answered SR9 over the years. She was smarter than SR9. She never answered my answer. Well, never until now, as she apparently used my email address to rub my face in HR38 being passed by the House today. It's the only time she's written me since having my addy. Anyway, here it is in its entirety. HR38 is on its way to the Senate as of today:

Friends,

I am excited to share a huge win for Second Amendment rights. Yesterday, the House passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which will expand the ability of law-abiding Americans to carry concealed weapons across state lines. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act will require states to honor permits issued in other states, regardless of differing permit standards. This common sense bill will ensure that your constitutional right to bear arms is not dependent on where you travel.

It is important to note that this bill does not change one's ability to legally purchase or possess a firearm. Only those able to legally obtain a firearm in their own state would be able to also conceal carry their firearm in others.

I am proud to be a co-sponsor of what the NRA says is its highest legislative priority in Congress. I look forward to this important bill being taken up by the Senate, and hopefully being sent to the President's desk for his signature.

It is an honor to serve you in Congress. Please never hesitate to let me know if there is a way my office can be of assistance. My staff and I work for you.

Sincerely,

marthasig.jpg

Martha Roby
Member of Congress

Chances are your Republican House-rats are trying to earn your support and respect with similar email blasts. If not though, now you know that they passed it. I'm mildly interested to know what Roy Moore's position might be on it if/when he gets to the Senate, but I seriously doubt he's going to take an anti-Commerce Clause stand against it. Maybe he will though. He's taken harder-to-justify stands on other issues. He is a consummate constitutional scholar, so I doubt the conflict between Commerce and 2A will pass him by unnoticed. It will be interesting though, but there ya go. Didn't see anywhere else that passage in the House has happened had been announced.

Blues

Probably a year or longer ago I wrote a response to "my" Congress-critter who had mailed something to me about how she supported national reciprocity. At the time there were at least three bills up for consideration (in the House at least, I think there were others in the Senate too). She was seeking opinions about which one her constituents favored, assuming of course, that they would favor the idea in the first place, which is probably true, but which is like steak to a hungry dog when a Congress-critter takes me for granted in any way, so I answered her (via email) similarly to the way(s) I answered SR9 over the years. She was smarter than SR9. She never answered my answer. Well, never until now, as she apparently used my email address to rub my face in HR38 being passed by the House today. It's the only time she's written me since having my addy. Anyway, here it is in its entirety. HR38 is on its way to the Senate as of today:

Friends,

I am excited to share a huge win for Second Amendment rights. Yesterday, the House passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which will expand the ability of law-abiding Americans to carry concealed weapons across state lines. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act will require states to honor permits issued in other states, regardless of differing permit standards. This common sense bill will ensure that your constitutional right to bear arms is not dependent on where you travel.

It is important to note that this bill does not change one's ability to legally purchase or possess a firearm. Only those able to legally obtain a firearm in their own state would be able to also conceal carry their firearm in others.

I am proud to be a co-sponsor of what the NRA says is its highest legislative priority in Congress. I look forward to this important bill being taken up by the Senate, and hopefully being sent to the President's desk for his signature.

It is an honor to serve you in Congress. Please never hesitate to let me know if there is a way my office can be of assistance. My staff and I work for you.

Sincerely,

marthasig.jpg

Martha Roby
Member of Congress

Chances are your Republican House-rats are trying to earn your support and respect with similar email blasts. If not though, now you know that they passed it. I'm mildly interested to know what Roy Moore's position might be on it if/when he gets to the Senate, but I seriously doubt he's going to take an anti-Commerce Clause stand against it. Maybe he will though. He's taken harder-to-justify stands on other issues. He is a consummate constitutional scholar, so I doubt the conflict between Commerce and 2A will pass him by unnoticed. It will be interesting though, but there ya go. Didn't see anywhere else that passage in the House has happened had been announced.

Blues
I'm definitely not so into politics that I would know one way or the other but I have no idea who in Congress might be an ACTUAL proponent of ACTUAL 2A freedoms. I know that most of the GOP and those in gun friendly blue states (Vermont/Sanders) are faux 2A activists but I've got no idea who's who in the zoo on contrived support or a real McCoy.

None?

The Place to Be

My understanding is that the Dems have added a bunch of garbage to the bill. If it passes with all the stuff they've added it won't be what we want.

My understanding is that the Dems have added a bunch of garbage to the bill. If it passes with all the stuff they've added it won't be what we want.

Not positive, but I think you're confusing HR38 with HR4477, which was written about here a few posts back in this thread. HR38 passed the House yesterday. HR4477 is dead on the vine I would imagine until the Senate takes action on HR38.

That said, no well-informed, true Second Amendment supporter would think either bill is "what we want." Both bills are steeped in Commerce Clause regulatory authorities of government, not in Second Amendment rights of The People. Don't be fooled by the shiny bauble called "national reciprocity." It might as well be called "Trojan Horse," because that's what it is.

Blues

Not positive, but I think you're confusing HR38 with HR4477, which was written about here a few posts back in this thread. HR38 passed the House yesterday. HR4477 is dead on the vine I would imagine until the Senate takes action on HR38.

That said, no well-informed, true Second Amendment supporter would think either bill is "what we want." Both bills are steeped in Commerce Clause regulatory authorities of government, not in Second Amendment rights of The People. Don't be fooled by the shiny bauble called "national reciprocity." It might as well be called "Trojan Horse," because that's what it is.

Blues
The other bill was to to "strengthen" and/or "improve" the NICS system. They of course don't illustrate to the public where the shortfalls (allegedly) exist, why they exist, and what methods will be going in place to "strengthen" the current system. I don't think it's dead just yet.

National Reciprocity is a pipe dream. Blue state AG's are already coming up with "resist" plans and unfortunately Red state AG's are stupidly endorsing it. It's going to be a real crap show on the order of sanctuary cities. Could be a turning point for 2A advocates if the cards are played right or it could be the ultimate Trojan Horse that Blues is referring to.

I know one lurker that will be over the moon and is probably planning a trip somewhere right now. He's a dink but I hope he's not amongst the swarm of "example" arrests that the Blue states will likely respond with. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The Place to Be

I know one lurker that will be over the moon and is probably planning a trip somewhere right now. He's a dink but I hope he's not amongst the swarm of "example" arrests that the Blue states will likely respond with. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Yeah, I wouldn't wish arrest on anyone either, but I still LOL'ed at the way you put it. :sarcastic:

Yeah, I wouldn't wish arrest on anyone either, but I still LOL'ed at the way you put it. :sarcastic:
I'm assuming SR9 is just your average Joe citizen and I wouldn't wish government retribution on him. It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you live in a place like Delaware as a gun owner. I hope he takes a trip around the 48 lower and carries his EDC as is his right.

The Place to Be

Living within 15 minutes of three different states, it works for me.

Do you really think that CA is going to just roll-over and accept this? They and a few other states are going to fight it in the courts for years.

Also the right to carry will then be under the control of the Federal Government and not states, and when the revulsion for Trump puts an anti-gun democrat in power every gun owners rights are in jeopardy, and it will only take a presidential proclamation.

Do you really think that CA is going to just roll-over and accept this? They and a few other states are going to fight it in the courts for years.

Also the right to carry will then be under the control of the Federal Government and not states, and when the revulsion for Trump puts an anti-gun democrat in power every gun owners rights are in jeopardy, and it will only take a presidential proclamation.
+1. Couldn't have said it any better.

The Place to Be

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back