moving to CA from MI, should I get my CCL before becoming a CA resident?

ellewoods2001

I'm a 23 year old female moving to Los Angeles with some girlfriends. All of us are blonde and blue-eyed... needless to say I'd feel more safe knowing we had some kind of protection. I think I would just keep rubber bullets (if that's even possible) that way if I did had to shoot in self defense I would at least have to worry less about actually killing the person. Not that I should be worrying about that if they break into my house to hurt me.. but irregardless. My question is, it seems a lot harder to get a CCL as a California resident, would it be better for me to get my permit in Michigan and would it be honored in CA? Can I bring a gun into California when I move there? I know they have a list of guns they allow into their state.

Thanks for any advice!

I don't recommend rubber bullets, but that is up to you...what firearm do you have? (need to know to check the banned list)

It would be a waste to get the permit for two reasons. 1. CA does not recognize any permits besides it's own. 2. If you got a resident permit, it a would become invalid when you move residency to another state (at least that's the way Oregon permit works when I moved to Washington).

Ricbak is right...the best advice is don't move to CA.

You are moving to a State where you get to check your constitutional rights at the State Line, so as mentioned -- your permit you get in Michigan will do you NO GOOD in CA. CA is a communist State like many others, they don't believe in your rights.

My advice:

1. DON'T move there unless you have no choice
2. If you must -- get a BIG DOG.

Odds are you won't get a carry permit. You can bring your weapons with you provided you transport them in accordance with the law (ie, unloaded in a locked container). Any handguns must be registered with the state within 60 days of your bringing them into the state. Magazines can't hold more than ten rounds. Handguns you bring with you are exempt from the approved roster however, they must still be registered and you can only bring 10 round magazines with you. Calguns Foundation is a good resource to check if you have questions. Here is a link to the Calguns Wiki for CA gun laws.

Link Removed

I'm in CA in Riverside County which is right beside LA county, sort of. LA is near impossible to get a CCW permit. Riverside is more reasonable. Maybe Orange County?

That said, if you carry without a license it's not generally considered a felony, as long as the gun is registered to you and your not a felon or caught with felonious intent. I still wouldn't want to go through the hassle but if you fear for your life, I'd take the chance.

Also, you probably should be careful about bringing guns into California, they have all kinds of rules that I'm not aware of and you should research if you plan on bring your own firearms into the state.

Odds are you won't get a carry permit. You can bring your weapons with you provided you transport them in accordance with the law (ie, unloaded in a locked container). Any handguns must be registered with the state within 60 days of your bringing them into the state. Magazines can't hold more than ten rounds. Handguns you bring with you are exempt from the approved roster however, they must still be registered and you can only bring 10 round magazines with you. Calguns Foundation is a good resource to check if you have questions. Here is a link to the Calguns Wiki for CA gun laws.

Link Removed

didn't know that you can bring guns exempt from the approved roster into the state.

Just because you are blond haired, blue eyed doesn't have any bearing on the issue. But if you feel unsafe, and if you're going to carry, you might as well use real bullets. You will only discharge a firearm if your life is in immenent danger, so why anger your assailant further? Better to remove the threat with real bullet, than make it worse with rubber ones. If you don't want to shoot to kill, you should probably stick with a stun gun or mace (if legal in Cali.)

I'm a 23 year old female moving to Los Angeles with some girlfriends. All of us are blonde and blue-eyed... needless to say I'd feel more safe knowing we had some kind of protection. I think I would just keep rubber bullets (if that's even possible) that way if I did had to shoot in self defense I would at least have to worry less about actually killing the person. Not that I should be worrying about that if they break into my house to hurt me.. but irregardless. My question is, it seems a lot harder to get a CCL as a California resident, would it be better for me to get my permit in Michigan and would it be honored in CA? Can I bring a gun into California when I move there? I know they have a list of guns they allow into their state.

Thanks for any advice!

Didn't you get the memo??
Only cops and gangmembers are allowed to carry firearms in Southern CommieFornia.

Also, it's pretty much 'impossible' to get a CCW in Los Angeles County....And Los Angeles is a HUGE County.
If you are not 'politically connected' or a cop, forget about getting a CCW.

I know what I'm talking about,
I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I lived in Southern California for 36 years.
You are far better off moving to a state like Texas if you want to be 'legally' armed.

Or you can just take your chances in CommieFornia by walking that razor thin line of Law Abiding Criminality and choose to be an 'Outlaw'.
(Something I don't recommend for most folks.)

Well, I really have no choice about moving to California. I want to work in the entertainment industry, hopefully as a film producer one day (I'm a republican, so that should be interesting) and I would need to work up the ladder in a corporate setting like Warner Bros or Disney. Working on movie sets in say, Atlanta wouldn't get me anywhere. But what about "reciprocity"? I looked at the reciprocity map on this website and it looks as though California "honors" permits from Michigan.. am I reading that wrong??

ellewoods2001:306804 said:
Well, I really have no choice about moving to California. I want to work in the entertainment industry, hopefully as a film producer one day (I'm a republican, so that should be interesting) and I would need to work up the ladder in a corporate setting like Warner Bros or Disney. Working on movie sets in say, Atlanta wouldn't get me anywhere. But what about "reciprocity"? I looked at the reciprocity map on this website and it looks as though California "honors" permits from Michigan.. am I reading that wrong??

You are. California only honors their permits. If you get a permit in michigan, and you move out of state your permit is no good. What you are seeing is that a California permit is honored by Michigan. A Michigan permit is not honored by California.

You are. California only honors their permits. If you get a permit in michigan, and you move out of state your permit is no good. What you are seeing is that a California permit is honored by Michigan. A Michigan permit is not honored by California.

Are you sure? I just went back to it and it says, please select your state of residence first. In this hypothetical situation, my "residence" would be California. Then it shows Michigan in blue, where I'd have my permit from, and it says blue means permit honored. Is that right?

Hey people Commie-Fornia is just a nick-name. The proper name is 'The Peoples Republik Of Kalifornia'. And getting a permit depends on where you live. For instance in rural areas your odds are pretty good. If you live in the Bay Area your odds are better on getting mercy from the IRS than getting a permit.

ellewoods2001:306823 said:

Are you sure? I just went back to it and it says, please select your state of residence first. In this hypothetical situation, my "residence" would be California. Then it shows Michigan in blue, where I'd have my permit from, and it says blue means permit honored. Is that right?
yes if you were lucky enough to get your california permit, you could carry your weapon to Michigan. But you have to have your california permit since that's where you are living. If you get your michigan permit now and move, your michigan permit is no longer valid since you don't live there you live in california

I see. OK. Hmmm, then there's no point of me taking any CCL courses here I guess. How come the laws are so strict in LA county? Detroit is pretty dangerous too but our government lets us protect ourselves... If I'm a 23 year old female with a perfect record do you think I have a better chance of them letting me get a CCL as self defense? Or am I SOL? My dad always joked about keeping a can of long-range wasp spray around.. it's not illegal to carry bug spray and it does the same job as mace!

it's not illegal to carry bug spray and it does the same job as mace!

Yeah, no. Insect sprays are clearly labeled "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" (IOW spraying it into someone's face would be inconsistent with its labeling)

Interesting that a first time poster can blindly hit so many hot button issues in one post

To be blunt, yes you are SOL, it dont matter how gorgeous you are, if you've ever had a speeding ticket, or anything else. State law is state law. Like others had said, DON'T MOVE THERE! Its a no good state ranking up there to Illinois. If the thought of being mugged,shot, or raped is weighing so heavily on you, maybe you should re think your film career and stay as far away from California as you can. You can't take $ to the grave. IMHO

Never move to a state that can deny your God given right to protect yourself. If you absolutely must move there for the entertainment industry and feel you must have a firearm why not move to far western AZ. You still would not be able to carry in CA but you would at least in some fashion have protection and you wouldn't be too far from S.D. or L.A. Even if you could get a carry permit in CA there are so many restrictions you would at some point be breaking the law and not know it. Listen to people here; If you cherish your rights then Commiefornia ain't the place to be. Do consider too that the cost of living is very high there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back