mossburg 500 or Remington 870

gkeil961

Which one do you prefer ? Pros and cons of each?

Remington 870, very very reliable. Had mine for 7-8 years and it's a beast scattergun, I rarely maintain it and it still functions flawlessly.

I have the "express super magnum" 870 in camo. Has high viz sights. Good gun, fits me well. Nothing bad to say about the 500. Don't own one of them......yet..... Friends do and love them.

Toss up

Hubs has 500, I have 870 & 887. Love my 887 best bc of long forearm. I'm 5'2". Action is a little smoother on the Rems, but all shoot & function great. I would invest in a limbsaver recoil pad if you go w the 500. Factory is hard. Rem factory pad is superior. W/o limbsaver I could only put down one round of clays (25) b4 I was tired. My rems I shoot until I'm out of shells!

The safeties are in different locations. For some that may help them decide.
I like the 870.
They are both tough shotguns.

Remington 870 express without a doubt. Dropped mine in about 3ft of murky swamp water while duck hunting, jumped out if the boat, grabbed it and peppered 2 mallards. I love my 870.

Have a 500 slugger in matte black. Bought it as only a slug gun for hunting in NJ, as NJ is a shotgun only state. Very Tough gun. Took a Black Bear in NJ with this year. Nice gun but, being a trap shooter for over 20 years (yes, call me a snob now), I am used to shotguns that are much smoother than this, but this Mossberg is all business.

Also it is very hard to beat the price. I think I paid less than $300 with a scope, sling and case, although the place I bought it looked like it would give me a free ski mask and directions to the nearest liquor store also if I had asked. By far, the best value I've had on a gun recently.

What is your purpose in purchasing a shotgun. If it is just home protection, which is why I purchased a 12g 18.5 inch pump, look at the New England Firearms Pardner Pump--exact knockoff of Rem 870 for a lot less money (I actually use the Rem manual for info on disassembly/assembly). It is not like I am out there shooting it all day long--just that occasional reacquaintence at the range--never a problem.

What is your purpose in purchasing a shotgun. If it is just home protection, which is why I purchased a 12g 18.5 inch pump, look at the New England Firearms Pardner Pump--exact knockoff of Rem 870 for a lot less money (I actually use the Rem manual for info on disassembly/assembly). It is not like I am out there shooting it all day long--just that occasional reacquaintence at the range--never a problem.

Yes it is for home protection, thanks for the advice I will check them out..... We have the Remington 870 tactical in our cruisers, but it would be nice to save some money but not loose the quality!

Thanks again

I would go 870 over the 500. The 500 has an aluminum receiver and the 870 is steel so is more durable. If money is no concern a Benelli would out do both of them. If you could afford 500-600 I would not hesitate on a Rem 887

I have a Mossberg 500. Its cheaper but very high quality. I love it. My dad has an 870 but I dont like it as much. Mossbergs also come with a pistol grip kit.

I have two 500s. Both have 18.5" bbls for home defense and also various other bbl lengths for hunting. One has an after market stock and forearm. Better recoil pad and slimmer forearm as my wife uses this one. Love the reliability and low price. I've had one of them since 1981 with thousands of rounds through it. Parts and accessories are easy to find. 870 has a little smoother action, but in the "heat of the moment", not a big difference. The wife is left handed and the tang mounted safety is a huge plus. It is also very easy to verify if the safety is off or on, being in your line of sight. She and I can use either gun in a pinch and when doing weak side shooting drills.

I have shot both extensively..our work shotgun was an 870 back in the 70,s. Great quality , well made and no issues what so ever.. My own shotgun that I have had since the 1980,s is a Mossberg 500.. also good quality and never any issues. At the time the 500 was a lot cheaper. Both are great shotguns..

I have the Mossberg 500, in 6+1 shot home defense version. It has proven very reliable and more than adequate for my home defense. Never a mis-feed or failure to fire when asked. I found that I could not handle the recoil as I did with my Ithica 100 over 40 years ago, so I installed a recoil reducing stock and can shoot it all day long without discomfort. I have never shot a Remington 870, from what I read it is made a bit better, but I seriously doubt if a burglar would prefer that over the Mossberg.

I have used both shotguns as a prison officer and a deputy sheriff. My own shotgun was a 500, which I much preferred over the 870 for a number of reasons. The 870 should have the loading spoon slotted, as in the heat of a firefight, a shell can end up under the spoon, effectively locking the shotgun up. The slot allows a key to work the shell out of the position. The Mossberg has dual action bars, where the 870 has a single, the safety on the Mossberg is on top of the receiver, basically under the thumb, while the Remington is awkward to operate, being where it is. The idea of the receiver being aluminum is, to me, a non-issue, as I never had my Mossberg fail because of the receiver breaking. Tthe 870 is a respected shotgun, but for my money, I will go with Mossberg. recently on Guns and Gear on the Sports Channel, Mossberg 500 and 590 shotrguns are now available in modular set-up. There are somewhat over 1,000 possible combinations of stocks, magazines, grips, sights, and more.

I just went through this last year.I ended up with the Mossberg. Handle both of them. The Mossberg just felt better to me. I also liked the location of the safety on the tang better, and I felt like the slide release is located better. I got the 500 with 24" cantilever rifled slug barrel with 2x scope, 30" field barrel with 3 choke tubes from Dicks before hunting season for $265. The scope was junk, but other than that - great gun.

I've got the Mossy 590 w/ 18.5 inch barrel and highly recommend it for home defense. The 590 is basically the same as the 500 but has a thicker barrel, more metal parts, is a little heavier, and more durable. The Speedfeed stock that came from the factory was a little long so I put on an ATI Akita adjustable hunting stock which makes it very comfortable to shoot for family members of various sizes. Solid as a rock, works every time, needs very little maintenance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back