more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have?

~OtisM~

Banned
About a year after I got my ccw, I realized there was more to self defense than just a gun on my hip. Situational awareness opened my eyes. Next step was self defense martial arts and working out 5 days a week.

I've been in best shape of my life and feel a lot more confident in my ability to diffuse or neutralize a threat without deadly force as the only option.

So what does everyone else think of martial arts as an essential tool in the awareness tool kit? I take combat Hapkido. It is martial arts for after the threat is in ur personal space or has engaged you. I'm a yellow belt about to take test for orange. What about you, suggestions, history, personal experience?

Thanks!

I agree it's a good tool, but not a necessary one. I have a b/g in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but have a basic knowledge and practical experience boxing, kick boxing, San Shou, and stick fighting. Physical fitness is always a good idea and, I believe, IS a necessary tool. Always remember the acronym APPS when talking about survival.

A - Awareness
P - Physical Fitness
P - Proficiency
S - Skill set

This is one of the best questions I have seen on any SD forum. Before my ccw I studied Muay Thai, aikido, and Sayoc Kali. Since getting my ccw I have started kickboxing and stick fighting training as well. And while I was still on active duty I became a Green belt instructor for MCMAP.

Loving hapkido. Lots of core workouts during warmups. Good stuff all around. We also learn simulated knife and gun attacks and options for eliminatig the threat assuming u don't have a gun or there isn't time to get to it. This kind of training should be done by everyone that ccws and that doesn't.

I think it's good to know. I have 6yrs of Shotokan Karate and receive MAC training prior to going downrange.

It gives me confidence if I had to get that close to BG.

I started learning Krav Maga and feel it is a pretty damn good SD tool! Its much easier/ faster to learn than your normal martial arts. It doesn't take years to learn and after only one lesson, you will already have a much better ability to defend yourself. I've heard all of the SF-types as well as the Marines are learning it now. There is a lot of physical fitness and endurance built into the program; the Israelis designed it back in the 50s I think.... it is designed to incapacitate an attacker and get out of the situation as quickly as possible. If you have to use any of the moves, you are going to seriously ******* someone up!!!

I started learning Krav Maga and feel it is a pretty damn good SD tool! Its much easier/ faster to learn than your normal martial arts. It doesn't take years to learn and after only one lesson, you will already have a much better ability to defend yourself. I've heard all of the SF-types as well as the Marines are learning it now. There is a lot of physical fitness and endurance built into the program; the Israelis designed it back in the 50s I think.... it is designed to incapacitate an attacker and get out of the situation as quickly as possible. If you have to use any of the moves, you are going to seriously ******* someone up!!!

After serving as a military police officer, I briefly trained in Krav Maga for a couple of years when I was later employed as an executive protection agent in Southern California. My boss at the time who both hired & trained me was a former Israeli Recon Commando, he was (probably still is) a real bad a$$ i.m.h.o. In Krav Maga even something as simple as a key or a pencil can be utilized effectively as an offensive weapon.

Talking about real bad @sses... my Sensei was one of the toughest people I've ever met, extrememly well disciplined, quick, and strong! He would allow us to literally hit him during our lessons to encourage us we could take blows and keep fighting. When we were all learning how to roll, he would demonstrate how a proper roll would never hurt... by doing it outside on the pavement, over and over the whole length of it!

We went to a few tournaments, one in which he actually participated... he was gooood.

Anyway, carry on with the discussion.

Loving hapkido. Lots of core workouts during warmups. Good stuff all around. We also learn simulated knife and gun attacks and options for eliminatig the threat assuming u don't have a gun or there isn't time to get to it. This kind of training should be done by everyone that ccws and that doesn't.

And what are you going to do when you can no longer do these things because of age, infirmity, illness or injury?

And what are you going to do when you can no longer do these things because of age, infirmity, illness or injury?

I'll adapt. Bound to happen eventually, ill keep living for today however. I'll deal with that when it comes. I feel fullfilled and in best shape of my life right now. Enjoying it.

I'll adapt. Bound to happen eventually, ill keep living for today however. I'll deal with that when it comes. I feel fullfilled and in best shape of my life right now. Enjoying it.

I remember those days
6q9y8g_th.jpg

For that matter, what are we all going to do when we're too old? There'll come a time when our kids haul us to nursing homes where some orderly will put us in a diaper, then hand us an unloaded squirt-pistol to stop us from hollering.

In the meantime, I'll keep hitting the punching bag and aiming at the bullseye, while trying to not think about the inevitable.

After serving as a military police officer, I briefly trained in Krav Maga for a couple of years when I was later employed as an executive protection agent in Southern California. My boss at the time who both hired & trained me was a former Israeli Recon Commando, he was (probably still is) a real bad a$$ i.m.h.o. In Krav Maga even something as simple as a key or a pencil can be utilized effectively as an offensive weapon.

Googled krav maga. That is some serious sh!t

In addition to my firearms training, I have a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo. My son, who took his CCW class & firearm training with me, just became a 5th degree "Master" in TaeKwoDo. He was tested directly by Grand Master Edward B Sell, the highest ranking westerner in the world.

Last edited:
i took a krav magna course last month it was fun and simple moves to get out of some sticky situations and would love to continue taking more advanced classes as i can afford it but meanwhile keep practicing what was taught in my first session with krav magna ......
my son and i both attended so we practice with each other

I'm already there. I'm not all that old but I'm handicapped, mainly due to injury. I have a black belt in coitus though. Once you learn, you never forget how.

I'm already there. I'm not all that old but I'm handicapped, mainly due to injury. I have a black belt in coitus though. Once you learn, you never forget how.
Never earned my black belt in it, but I keep practicing all SWMBO will let me! :dance3:

Outlaw I had no idea you detailed in EP. Good to know we have something else in common and if I mention concentric rings someone will know what I'm saying. Anyway, the Israelis don't mess around. And I was also taught that running is a good option if the situation allows.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back