more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have?

I have started to take some krav maga. Very simple, natural body movements. I love every class I attend and everyday look forward to the next!

Self defense along with a conceal carry is always a plus. You may not be able to get to your gun immediately if attacked. Anything that gives you a slight edge. I studied kei shin kan karate for about 6 years. It was a good experience.

Talking about real bad @sses... my Sensei was one of the toughest people I've ever met, extrememly well disciplined, quick, and strong! He would allow us to literally hit him during our lessons to encourage us we could take blows and keep fighting. When we were all learning how to roll, he would demonstrate how a proper roll would never hurt... by doing it outside on the pavement, over and over the whole length of it!

We went to a few tournaments, one in which he actually participated... he was gooood.

Anyway, carry on with the discussion.

Haha I know what you mean. I was everybody's best friend when I took TaeKwon Do (because I maximized the power in my hits and long kicks and even drew a few times with my instructor while sparring) until it was time to put it to the test...Never got put into perspective until recently. I started Shorin-Ryu Karate a while ago and watching Sensei work the punch from the hip...I don't want to spar! You can actually FEEL the air move while he stands in front of you and demonstrates a simple punch. And he's close to 60 years old!

I have a 3rd degree black belt in Karate and a 1st degree in Bojitsu (hey, there might be a broom handle nearby, ya never know...). I figure at the very least I will be ahead of my past self, who had never been hit or grabbed.....it won't startle me quite as much, and I'll have a trained response and the knowledge of what targets to hit and how to hit effectively, even if I'm nowhere near Bruce Lee. True, I've never been tested in a real, live, life threatening situation....but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just stand there like a startled deer in headlights and cry. At least one hopes not.

Oh for the....

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks tout their hand to hand skills as being some kind of super special thing...

I'll say it plainly...

Hand to hand skills are wonderful things in situations where hand to hand is the best response... but in situations where hand to hand isn't the best response ..hand to hand flat out and totally sucks as a response.

It's also wonderful to be at the peak of your physical fitness and youth... God how I wish I could get back there because when at my prime I had the physical capability to be a bad ass too... BUT!! Now get this because it is of vital importance!!!

No matter how big a bad ass you are with hand to hand training including martial arts or knife skills.... there is always someone out there who can whip your ass without breaking a sweat. So it is foolish to think that youth and training will make you invincible.

One small but important thing comes to mind.. a scene from one of the Indiana Jones movies where some dork stands 20 or more feet away from Indiana and swirls a sword. Indiana Jones deals with it by drawing his gun and shooting the supposed bad ass with a sword....

So...

While it is nice to have all those hand to hand skills as additions to your self defense toolbox............. it would be unwise to rely on them to save your ass from an out of shape fat old man/woman with a gun.

I don't think anyone here is talking about using hand to hand as a sole response to all situations.
It is all part of ones overall self defense strategy. You can't just rely on your gun to handle every possible encounter.
As far as the fact that there is always someone out there that knows more than you, ie martial arts, that's been the case since the dawn of human fighting.
I was astonished when my teacher promoted students that even after months of training, still couldn't get moves right.
I learned a long time ago that the ranking belt system doesn't mean squat. I used to trounce people who were supposed to be brown belts or black belts.
Martial arts is a supplement to my overall defense, not my only choice.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Oh for the....

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks tout their hand to hand skills as being some kind of super special thing...

I'll say it plainly...

Hand to hand skills are wonderful things in situations where hand to hand is the best response... but in situations where hand to hand isn't the best response ..hand to hand flat out and totally sucks as a response.

It's also wonderful to be at the peak of your physical fitness and youth... God how I wish I could get back there because when at my prime I had the physical capability to be a bad ass too... BUT!! Now get this because it is of vital importance!!!

No matter how big a bad ass you are with hand to hand training including martial arts or knife skills.... there is always someone out there who can whip your ass without breaking a sweat. So it is foolish to think that youth and training will make you invincible.

One small but important thing comes to mind.. a scene from one of the Indiana Jones movies where some dork stands 20 or more feet away from Indiana and swirls a sword. Indiana Jones deals with it by drawing his gun and shooting the supposed bad ass with a sword....

So...

While it is nice to have all those hand to hand skills as additions to your self defense toolbox............. it would be unwise to rely on them to save your ass from an out of shape fat old man/woman with a gun.

Nobody said martial arts made anyone invincible. One of the first lessons you learn is humility. Reference this video link: the guy is who you perceive us to be, and the girl is a good example of why we train.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=R4MfMZ8arBM&feature=related

I served for a a branch of the government that trained me quite well in hand to hand combat techniques. I was taught a variety of methods and systems, Krav maga, muitai, BJJ, and others. I have since been "out of service" for a few years, but still train. I have children now and I have been training them some of the techniques I studied. I do believe that hand to hand training is a much needed asset, as well as situational awareness. A fire arm is not always needed for confrontation situations, so it pays to have non-fire arm related combat training, with and without another hand held weapon. I always carry a good sized folding combat knife, and I also have a cane with me. I have a bad knee these days so the cane is necessary some days. I have stick fighting training, and have incorperated cane fighting into my training studies.
I have also, and still am, teaching my kids hand to hand self defence and stick fighting, long and short.
I believe self defence techniques should be studied by every one, as not every one can or wants to carry a firearm. And a firearm is not always needed in defensive situations.

Martial arts, knife fighting etc are just like any other warrior skill, perishable. The tools in the proverbial toolbox all must be dusted off and sharped regularly to be effective. I'm a fortysomething and I can still perform all the animal movements including Leopard which requires quite a bit of jumping and leaping. The more I look at others my age and younger, I know that I am fortunate. I know for a fact that a lot of this has to do with the training I endured. I still have the fierceness and power of the Tiger. The accuracy of the Snake and the evasiveness of the Crane. I do however find that as I grow older that I have a better understanding and appreciation for the softer movements and wisdom of the Dragon.

Too often such training has the brutality missing from it. It is this brutality that makes any fighting system truly effective. There is a certain elegant savagery that must be dialed back into any system in order unlock it's true power. It is this missing element that causes many to dismiss hand-to-hand skills as unimportant. I recently published a blog on this very suject Berkley R. Bruce- Dragon's Shadow Training Group Blog: Martial Arts: 10 Reasons Why Your Martial Arts/Self Defense Training Will Fail You On The Street.
Such skills should be of interest to concealed carry holders for the issue of retention at the very least. If someone gets his hands on your weapon to foil your draw for instance. If you cannot get his hands off or yours on, you've got problems.

I realize I’m late to this discussion which is too bad because it’s probably the only non troll post OtisM ever made.

This is such a broad topic I don’t know where to begin. I can say that if you are depending solely on your gun for self defense you have already missed the boat but I can’t say that without also saying that if you are depending solely on your unarmed self defense skills you’re also standing on the dock.

In my opinion unarmed self defense adds another level to my overall preparedness; it gives me one more option to draw on if I need to.

I decided to start carrying a gun because I perceived a risk and decided the risk justified the money time and effort required to get a concealed handgun permit and the training and practice required to become proficient.

I’ll grant I learned how to fight before I started carrying a gun but there is still a perceived risk. It’s taken for granted on almost any gun forum you go to that if we ever have to use our guns we will be starting out behind the curve and playing catch up. So, knowing how to fight gives me a way to protect the gun and give myself space to bring the gun into play. I perceive the risk to be great enough to justify the time, money, effort, training, and practice required to become and stay proficient.

That’s a key if you want your unarmed self defense training to pay off you have to make it a part of your lifestyle, it has to be something you practice every day. Not, just some tricks you learned in the Army half your life ago. IMO it has to be as much a part of your nature as indexing your finger when you pick up a firearm.

On a somewhat related note I also believe that fitness training now will help you stay active longer as you age. Jack Lelane maintained an exercise regimen well into his nineties; Chuck Norris is in his seventies.

Whether you train for it or not the possibility exists that you could end up in a situation where you can’t get to you gun or you didn’t have your gun in the first place. That’s one of the reasons I keep going back to the fitness issue. I’ve never seen a good fighter who was out of condition. Being in condition makes me better able to fight and better able to defend myself, thus adding another level to my preparedness.

Some sort of ground defense martial arts like brazilian jiu jitsu can be very beneficial since most fights go to the ground.

Most attacks are also surprise attacks, especially knife attacks. The best counter assault is technique performed with violence of action. A great technique is the S.P.E.A.R. by Tony Blauer. Allows you to block and strike the delivery system (usually an arm whether containing a weapon or not), control it, and deliver personal weapon strikes (punches, knees), take the assailant down or create distance to transition to a weapon if reasonable and necessary. The S.P.E.A.R. technique is simple and effective; highly recommended.

Sent from my VS840 4G using USA Carry mobile app

That’s a key if you want your unarmed self defense training to pay off you have to make it a part of your lifestyle, it has to be something you practice every day. Not, just some tricks you learned in the Army half your life ago. IMO it has to be as much a part of your nature as indexing your finger when you pick up a firearm..

Most important part of the post. Well said! Those three sentences could stand alone.
Sent from my Clear using USA Carry mobile app

There are quite a few techniques that don't require much power that are well-suited to the infirm and elderly. It's a matter of knowing your limitations and choosing the techniques that work best for you. Of course it helps to have a wide variety in your "toolbox" so that as you age you can make realistic adjustments. darn near anything can be used defensively if you know how. In the end, your most important tool is your mind. Don't leave home without it!

There are quite a few techniques that don't require much power that are well-suited to the infirm and elderly. It's a matter of knowing your limitations and choosing the techniques that work best for you......
"A man's GOT to know his limitations."
--- Dirty Harry, Magnum Force
I've got more limitations than Harry, unfortunately. I've got more limitations than most people, physically speaking.

The older I get the better I was (or so reads my license plate mount). I still remember how to fall from judo classes from jr high through college. I was surprised when playing a pickup football game with my wife's family (at super slow speed) I actually caught air and came down in a perfect roll and ended up back on my feet. Wife looked shocked (she was actually my girlfriend at the time - 5 yrs ago) and asked if I was ok. I was kinda shocked too but said,"sure", like it was no big deal. I'm in my 60's now and far from the college receiver I was 40+ yrs ago but it is amazing how much stays with you when you need it.

Course knee replacement, major shoulder surgery, and a triple bypass have slowed me down quite a bit lately so I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week and walk on my treadmill when not on my bike. Didn't somebody say, A mans got to know his limitations? (Thanks Rhino for reminding me) I hate it when those limitations grow! Just when I think I've learned them they change.

Howdy,

Martial arts, knife fighting etc are just like any other warrior skill, perishable. The tools in the proverbial toolbox all must be dusted off and sharped regularly to be effective. I'm a fortysomething and I can still perform all the animal movements including Leopard which requires quite a bit of jumping and leaping. The more I look at others my age and younger, I know that I am fortunate. I know for a fact that a lot of this has to do with the training I endured. I still have the fierceness and power of the Tiger. The accuracy of the Snake and the evasiveness of the Crane. I do however find that as I grow older that I have a better understanding and appreciation for the softer movements and wisdom of the Dragon.

Too often such training has the brutality missing from it. It is this brutality that makes any fighting system truly effective. There is a certain elegant savagery that must be dialed back into any system in order unlock it's true power. It is this missing element that causes many to dismiss hand-to-hand skills as unimportant. I recently published a blog on this very suject Berkley R. Bruce- Dragon's Shadow Training Group Blog: Martial Arts: 10 Reasons Why Your Martial Arts/Self Defense Training Will Fail You On The Street.
Such skills should be of interest to concealed carry holders for the issue of retention at the very least. If someone gets his hands on your weapon to foil your draw for instance. If you cannot get his hands off or yours on, you've got problems.

Hum..............

I've read this post three times and I'm speechless, more or less.

The Tiger, Snake, Crane and Dragon?!?!? WTF?!?!?

This must be some top secret Mall Ninja training that I've never heard of before.

I've never been a big fan of "martial arts" for SD. A bunch a guys running around in bath robes going "heeyaw" to each other always seemed a little........ strange to myself.

Paul

Howdy,

Hum..............

I've read this post three times and I'm speechless, more or less.

The Tiger, Snake, Crane and Dragon?!?!? WTF?!?!?

This must be some top secret Mall Ninja training that I've never heard of before.

I've never been a big fan of "martial arts" for SD. A bunch a guys running around in bath robes going "heeyaw" to each other always seemed a little........ strange to myself.

Paul

That's because you're pretty simple.

Coming from an Asian background, which is much deeper and goes much farther back in history than America, it takes more than Hollywood to understand martial arts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back