Massachusetts CCW issues by town

jsm2k1

Since CCW in Massachusetts is regulated differently by each town's Chief of Police - I thought that this thread might be helpful to others if we all shared our permitting experiences and success (or denial) stories.

Mashpee/Falmouth

I moved from Falmouth because the Chief was openly anti-CCW, he's now officially being replace - let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mashpee was a very pleasant experience - after filling out the requisite paper work, I was interviewed by a Detective, fingerprinted both electronically and ink and set off on my 45 day waiting period while the State Police ran my background check.

From my experience and conversations with other gun owners, as long as you follow the regulations and answer the Detective as "vaguely" and professionally as possible (and pass the background check) everyone who applies for - usually receives a CCW Class A Unrestricted for All Lawful Purposes..

Last edited:
I'm from Oxford and received mine in 4 weeks from the day I turned in the paper work.
They were extremely helpful with scheduling and what not.

Color coded listing of all towns/cities in MA

Hey jsm2k1

Thanks for starting this post. Back when packing.org was up and running, they had a section similar to this, but instead of a static map, they had a list of every town/city in MA that users rated according to the experience they had while trying to acquires their LTC's. Green towns were friendly and permit was easy to get, black were unknown and red was difficult. I suggest we start something similar so people have a single point of reference for this extremely useful information. We can either continue in you post, since the title of your original post is exactly what i was looking for when i came here looking for that information. What do you guys suggest? Is there any way to make a posting open to be edited by anyone? That way, people can keep updating the list. Holla back so we can get this going!!

MA LTC's

Never a problem in Bourne! The fact that Falmouth's Police Chief was so Anti actually kept me from buying a house there back in 2000. Glad I stayed in Bourne and bought here. Happy to be Bourne in The USA!!!!

Surfcc

I was living in Wakefield and got my in 4 weeks. I live in Peabody now and have been hearing things on renewals either being denied , or a class A unrestricted being dropped down. I guess i will find out in 2 more years.

Last edited:
I got mine in Scituate, had to show a need to obtain the Class A. Otherwise they're just hunting and target.

Never a problem in Bourne! The fact that Falmouth's Police Chief was so Anti actually kept me from buying a house there back in 2000. Glad I stayed in Bourne and bought here. Happy to be Bourne in The USA!!!!

Surfcc

Can he do that?

Does anybody have any experience with the town of Berkley??? I had no problem in Fall River a few years ago.

Berkley denials / experience

I see that Berkley is green on the map....I was hoping to hear of any personal experience. I read in the Boston Globe a while ago that Berkley had the second most denials in the state at 9%. Revere was first.

I see that Berkley is green on the map....I was hoping to hear of any personal experience. I read in the Boston Globe a while ago that Berkley had the second most denials in the state at 9%. Revere was first.

A denial is totally different from issuing policy

You are only denied if you have a statutory disqualifier
Eg.. Restraining orders against you, committed to a mental health facility, DUI/OUI, felony criminal records , etc...

Denials

Wouldn't it also be classified as a denial if a person applied for a LTC and was issued an FID instead???

Crazy stuff huh? I can't verify this because I forget where I heard it, BUT, I heard the whole gig was going to be taken over by the state at some point, and there would be no more messing around by these hard case cops put in charge by the chiefs. You either qualify for a CC or you don't.

Scituate used to be a nice town where everyone knew everyone and got along for the most part. When the liberals started spilling in from CohASSet and Hingham things got tough. I heard the gun club just got shut down because of ornery neighbors. Good luck down there.

Crazy stuff huh? I can't verify this because I forget where I heard it, BUT, I heard the whole gig was going to be taken over by the state at some point, and there would be no more messing around by these hard case cops put in charge by the chiefs. You either qualify for a CC or you don't.

Scituate used to be a nice town where everyone knew everyone and got along for the most part. When the liberals started spilling in from CohASSet and Hingham things got tough. I heard the gun club just got shut down because of ornery neighbors. Good luck down there.

I too have heard similar things. I know GOAL is trying to change the way things are here in PRMA by re-writing the laws pertaining to firearms completely. They are also looking to do away with the different classes and just have a FID card. This will allow anyone over 21 to carry and card holders under 21 to own rifles/shotguns.

Check out the site:

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back