Man open carrying was robbed of his gun

Nobody said it would not happen, the question is how much would it happen if people started to OC. Like stated above, even the police get robbed of their guns. I still believe that OCing has it's place, just no in big crowds.

Nobody said it would not happen, the question is how much would it happen if people started to OC. Like stated above, even the police get robbed of their guns. I still believe that OCing has it's place, just no in big crowds.
The same is sometimes said of CC as well. In large crowds, it's more likely for someone to brush up against you accidentally, and "feel" you piece. Now, some won't associate that hard feeling with a firearm, and some will. And then there's always pick pockets.

No matter the location, you always need to be aware of your surroundings, and you need to protect your weapon. If I don't feel comfortable carrying concealed somewhere, then I won't feel more comfortable by OCing. And the sames goes for the reverse.

I admire your optimism and faith in mankind. I could be proven wrong, but I firmly believe I'm Back is an untruthful post aimed to prove a point on this thread. The irony of the circumstances and timing are just too great to ignore. Try to find a news story on line about someone in the state of Indiana being shot on the night of the 16 January or even 17 January. I've checked on Google and multple Indiana Newspaper web sites. You won't find one. Of course that alone doesn't prove anything. However, when you combine the timing of his comments on this thread with the holes in his I'm Back story with the lack of a news story, I say you can draw only one conclusion. If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologize on this site. However, until then I will continue to say that the I'm Back thread is false and find it troubling that he is drumming up sympathy for it. Again, I call them like I see them.
If I can't put some basic faith in my fellow man, why bother at all. :smile:

Last edited:
BGA Wrote:

If I can't put some basic faith in my fellow man, why bother at all. :)

When I first read I'm Back I initially had a basic faith that Tatt was telling the truth. That was until I stumbled across this thread which provoked a since of skeptisicm in me that something was not right. I did a little research and discovered what I beleive to be the actual truth of the matter. Maybe Tatt will "recover" soon and be able to post an explaination or even provide some proof to his claims. I stand ready to apoligize should I be wrong in this matter, but I don't think that's what we will find.

And to get us back on topioc, I don't OC. I choose for my carry peice to remain unknown to the general public, but I don't care if one legally OCs where they can. More power to them. It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.

When I first read I'm Back I initially had a basic faith that Tatt was telling the truth. That was until I stumbled across this thread which provoked a since (sense) of skeptisicm in me that something was not right. I did a little research and discovered what I beleive to be the actual truth of the matter. Maybe Tatt will "recover" soon and be able to post an explaination or even provide some proof to his claims. I stand ready to apoligize should I be wrong in this matter, but I don't think that's what we will find.

And to get us back on topioc, I don't OC. I choose for my carry peice to remain unknown to the general public, but I don't care if one legally OCs where they can. More power to them. It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.
First, I'd be interested in what YOU found. I tried searching, and could find nothing, which, maybe a reason for concern, but since stuff like this happens, I'm not too surprised that I could not find any evidence.

I do OC, when practical. Living in Michigan, it's not always practical, what with the weather and all. My winter coat always covers my sidearm, unless I was to use a thigh holster, and that's not really recommended for civilian use. My uniform coat, on the other hand, does not cover my pistol when I'm dressed for work. But that's how it should be.

Regardless, I still think that stories such as was first presented are rare, if they really happen at all. I would not put uniformed security/police being attacked in the same category.

Last edited:
NavyLT Wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by {TEX}Hawaii((
It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.

Which is very true, and interesting, considering that we carry for defensive reasons.

Yes, I think we can agree that while we all carry for defensive purposes, the second our gun comes out of the holster we will be in the offensive frame of mind. Take the fight to the bad guy as required and within the law.

Open Carry and Tactics

. Situational awareness is always important. Checking your six should always be done.

Open carrying takes away the surprise and criminals choose to use more force usually.
Link Removed

I've been in martial arts for about twenty years, and our greeting starts with "I conceal my treasure." You need the element of surprise. On the other hand, there are situations where you have to open carry. When I first moved to the state which is my current residence, I open carried until my concealed weapons permit came in the mail; in California, it is next to impossible to get a Concealed Weapons Permit, but you can carry openly, if your pistol is empty. What's the advantage of that? It comes down to awareness. If you are aware of your surroundings, you can load before there is danger. And I may occasionally visit border states, like Nevada, but not often enough to get a license, so I open carry there. In general, I'm with you, though.

BGA Wrote:
I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.

The "element of surprise" is not now, and never in the history of the world has been, a defensive tactic. Surprise is exclusively an offensive tactic. What you’re calling “the element of surprise” is nothing more than damage control. You are reacting to someone surprising you.

The "element of surprise" is not now, and never in the history of the world has been, a defensive tactic. Surprise is exclusively an offensive tactic. What you’re calling “the element of surprise” is nothing more than damage control. You are reacting to someone surprising you.

I didn't say that, Tex did.

Mainsail Wrote:

Read all posts before commenting. I posted this to clarify...

Yes, I think we can agree that while we all carry for defensive purposes, the second our gun comes out of the holster we will be in the offensive frame of mind. Take the fight to the bad guy as required and within the law.

I will say again that there are several circumstances that can arise to cause you to go into an offense within the the left and right limits of the law. When this happens I suggest that it is better to have the advantage of the attacker not knowing you are armed.

With all I've posted on this thread, I find it odd that this point is brought out.

As I understand it, this is the way {TEX}Hawii(( is describing the element of surprise so many CC advocates talk about:

In normal everyday life, the CCer looks like any other person. The BG who is looking for a victim can tell no difference between the CCer and the victim next to him not carrying.

When the BG chooses to target the CCer and takes some form of action against the CCer, the CCer reacts by going on the offensive by taking positive action to neutralize the threat posed by BG. Now that the action has been initiated against the CCer by the BG, and the CCer is forced to assume an offensive role, the CCer feels more comfortable that he is able to surprise the BG with his action taken to assume the offensive role by drawing his previously unseen weapon.

Personally, I would rather not look like a potential target equal to the person next to me. I would rather present myself, right up front and in the open, as a much more hardened target and therefore greatly increase the chances that the BG is just going to move on to easier pickings to begin with. I have more desire to not engage a BG in the first place because they moved on rather than to defend myself against the attack once the attack begins. Does that do anything to help lower the crime rate? NO - but that is not my role as a person who carries a gun for self defense.

And the argument that my visible gun is going to cause me to get shot first. Why in the world would a BG choose to engage in a firefight when, due to the lack of OCer's, he can go down the street two blocks away and pick out a target that doesn't have a gun showing?

Last edited:
Good post NavyLT

I would only add that the one carries oneself can also add to not looking like a victim, in addition to OC or even when you CC. Walk with your head up, use situational awareness, look confident, don't look distracted. These things could help make BG decided to choose someone else even if you aren't armed.

I've started informally polling my more hardened arrestees and asking them if they would attempt to rob a visibly armed man (open carrying) and the universal answer has been, "F*** No!" Then I asked what if they wanted the gun? All still said "F***No,!" as they can easily buy one for $50-$75 bucks on the street without the threat of failure.

I've started informally polling my more hardened arrestees and asking them if they would attempt to rob a visibly armed man (open carrying) and the universal answer has been, "F*** No!" Then I asked what if they wanted the gun? All still said "F***No,!" as they can easily buy one for $50-$75 bucks on the street without the threat of failure.

Imagine that... chicken s***t criminals. Who would have thunk it.

one of the beauties of safety bullet is that if someone stole your gun and they pulled back the slide, they would see brass and asume it was loaded. Upon firing the safety bullet at you they would lock up the gun and your life would have been saved, smart hu!

A criminal may also think that a visibly armed man is a cop or some sort of leo. Reading numerous posts on open carry.org, many people noticing the OCer, usually asks, "Are you a cop?"

I guess the question would be if Open Carrying is more of a deterent in comparrison to the invitation to would be gun robbers?

one of the beauties of safety bullet is that if someone stole your gun and they pulled back the slide, they would see brass and asume it was loaded. Upon firing the safety bullet at you they would lock up the gun and your life would have been saved, smart hu!

Don't know about anyone else on this site but I would
NEVER
carry a firearm that's rigged with a device that could render the firearm useless. It's obvious that Ms. Worley or anyone who is a fan of the "safety bullet" have NEVER been in a firefight. :eek: Things go so fast that you don't have time to "think". A life and death situation is not the time to be making critical mistakes. :nono:

Please stop finding opportunities to peddle your product. If you want "free advertisement", then go buy some ad space somewhere. I've yet to see the "safety bullet" advertised in any of the firearms magazines I read. That tells me a lot about your product.

Back to the subject.

I get the occasional "are you a cop" when I OC. Most of the time I don't have any problems. I do notice folks being a lot more polite and courteous though. :biggrin: As long as the person OCing has the proper training and SA, I see no problem with OC.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back