Looking at compact 1911's

DarrellM5

I'm thinking of purchasing a compact 1911 for carry purposes. My budget is about $1300. The reason I'm considering a compact is the grip height. I'd prefer a 4" barrel over a 3" because of the slightly increased velocity and greater sight radius.

I've noticed a lot of "compacts" still have 5" or 5 1/4" grip heights. I think that defeats the purpose. What's the point of a 3" barrel and 5" grip height? The barrel length isn't that much of a concern to me as I carry IWB. I'd rather focus on less chance of printing.

So, one of the pistols I'm looking at is the Kimber Compact CDP II. It has a lightweight frame, weighs 25 oz. and has a 4.75" grip height.

Any suggestions of other pistols I may want to consider.

BTW, I have quite a few firearms; Sig 229, Springfield XDm40, Taurus PT1911, Springfield 1911-A1, and others, so there's no need to suggest "just buy a Glock".

I like the Springfield Armory Light Weight Champion Operator.

Yo'll have a built in rail also. You should be able to find them for under your price range.

I am not sure of the specs, but I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 45 and I really like it. It is easy to conceal and feels great in my hand. I paid $ 1,100 for mine.

Thanks,

Neal

I like both of those, but the Kimber only has a 3" barrel and the Springfield is 5.5" tall. Thanks for your replies and keep the suggestions coming.

Check out the Springfield EMP in 9mm or 40 S&W. I have the 9mm and find it to be my primary carry gun. It is very thin, lightweight and extremely accurate. It is a real pleasure to shoot. 9+1 rounds comes with 3 mags and runs about 1100.00

If you want something with a little more punch and not quite as expensive, try the Colt Agent or Defender in .45 ACP. 8+1 and very accurate. Also small and lightweight. More recoil than a standard size 1911 due to it smaller size. But still very manageable. It was my primary carry gun until I got the EMP. Runs about 700.00

I recently bought the Kimber Compact CDP II and am quite impressed. Light, 4" reliability, officer's frame w/7 shot mag just like the ultra model. Fit/finish above average. One thing that I'd never even heard of before- I went to buzz off too sharp of an edge off the bottom of the MSH and damn if it's not made of plastic! Looks/functions as aluminum, but I don't know about that. I may replace that.

Even more recently, I came across a Kimber Ultra Super Carry, just sitting in the glass case without a waiting list attached to it. For less than $1300, THAT is one sweet compact 1911. Kimber makes better full size, $2k 1911s, but the super carry is by far the best little one they've ever done. Just broke it in today, as a fatter of mact. No issues with Rem UMC hardball, and so far it likes Golden Sabers, 230 and 185. Will try Gold Dots and Talons next trip.

I like the Colts, but we're back to a 3" barrel and I can't find the specs on the grip height.

I also like the EMP series, but they have a 5" grip height and I'd prefer a .45 acp.

Also, I forgot to put in my preference for an ambidextrous safety. It's not a deal breaker as I can always add one later.

I like the Springfield Armory Light Weight Champion Operator.

Yo'll have a built in rail also. You should be able to find them for under your price range.
Great gun! I don't have one ...yet but may I suggest an EMP.40? I have one of those. Very sweet! Springfield Amory customer service just might be the best in the industry! I know that from experience.

If you want a 4in. barrel with a compact grip, I highly recommend looking into Sig Sauer's compact 1911 lineup. I own a full size Sig Revolution STX and I have to say it is the sweetest 1911 I have ever owned. (full size) They have a good selection of compacts to choose from, check em out.

As far as the Kimber Ultra CDP II, I own one, and it is my primary carry gun. Very very good shooter. I picked mine up for around $1100.

Shoot One First

Just to add to the discussion:

I shot a small sized Kimber belonging to a friend and did not like the recoil. Don't get me wrong, I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps and do not mind the recoil of the 5" 1911's; it is just not that severe.

But I found that the compact 1911's have a very small grip and my little finger had nothing to hold onto. Thus, the pistol twisted around in my hand too much making it uncomfortable to shoot.

There is no doubt that you will find a superb firearm in your price range and what I mentioned may not bother you; but just make sure you are comfortable with the way it will handle.

Thanks for the advice.

The Sig 1911 RCS Nitron might be a player. 4.2" barrel and a 4.9" grip height. I'll have to look into it more.

I understand what you're saying about the recoil. A friend of mine has a Kimber Ultra Raptor that I might get a chance to fire and see what I think.

So far the list looks like:

Kimber Compact CDP II MSRP $1306.00 27 oz.
Sig 1911 RCS Nitron MSRP $1318.00 29.5 oz.

Any other ideas?

And just so you know (and you probably do), most gun shops sell under msrp, so you can probably pick up either one for under your spending limit.

As far as recoil goes, Kimber and sig both make alot of their compact 1911's with alloy frames. The lighter and shorter the gun, the potential for more recoil exists. Both manufacturers listed above also make a few of their compact models with stainless or steel frames so, if recoil becomes an issue, try one with a steel frame. IMHO I dont think you will have a issue with recoil. The more you shoot it, the less you will notice it. Atleast that is what I have discovered with my little 3 in. Ultra CDP.

I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II almost always. On occasion I will carry my Spring Field Operater. I prefer the Ultra because its lighter and of course smaller. I am waiting for the Kimber Super Carry Pro to come in and this will be my next purchase. I looked at the Super Carry yesterday in full size and its lighter than my Ultra CDP II. And it felt really good. You may want to look into the Super Carry as its bobbed on end of the Grip. If your concerned about printing that cut should help you out. I carry my 1911's in a Super Tuck do printing isnt an issue for me even with a t-shrit.

I looked seriously at the Kimber Ultra Carry and finally decide don the Colt Defender. Seems to be a better value for the $$$. It has yet to malfunction on several different brands of ammo.

Ken

I looked for the Super Carry Ultra on Kimber's website but it doesn't seem to be there. That's odd since there's one for sale on Gunbroker. The Super Carry looks pretty good as well.

I might just have to give up on the shorter grip height thing and open up the field a little more. My Sig P229R Equinox conceals really well in a Galco Royal Guard IWB and it has a 5.4" height. My XDm-40 also conceals really well in a Super Tuck.

Maybe I'll just forget about the grip height and stick with the 4" barrel and ambidextrous safety criteria.

If weight wasn't an issue, the stainless Kimber Pro Raptor II is the best looking 1911 I've seen to date.

I'll have to start comparing features on all the pistols suggested here so far.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I got one of these you can find them for between $300 and $400 I love mine.
Armscor.com they make a few different models in the 1911 style
Rock Island 1911 .45 ACP

AC-RI1911-B.jpg

I have one of the Armcor Citadels in Officer's size --3.5" barrel with a seven round magazine. I am very happy with it -- it is surprisingly accurate, and one of the lowest priced compact 1911's you can buy. Mine is the Tactical with beavertail, 3 dot sights, etc.

Last edited:
First off, many thanks to everyone who replied for your excellent suggestions.

And the winner was:

Springfield LW Champion Operator (PX9115LP)

I just completed the transaction through GunsAmerica. $799, no credit card fee and $20 for 2 day shipping. I really like the features (ambi-safety, rail, night sights, 4" barrel, ect...) and I've read a lot of great reviews as well. I think it's very comparable to the Kimber's for a lot less money.

Should have it Wednesday and I'll post a range report with photos soon.:biggrin:

Para has many models of subcompact 1911's and S&W just came out with a subcompact 1911...hard to find I hear. I personally have the S&W Gunsite Model, which they just stopped making, it's a commander length 1911. I also have a nice Colt Night Officer, 3.5" barrell on a commander frame...so it can take 8 round mags and is very concealable. It's a limited run Colt for Lew Horton and was one of 300 made. I picked it up a year ago and love it.....wearing it now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back