Local PD issues purchase/carry related

ServerJedi

First time poster here, I will try to keep it as short as I can, but I am afraid it won't be based on the details. I will make them clear and factual.

In 1998, I was convicted of "Malicious Mischief 3 - DV" for breaking a 15 dollar birdhouse that I purchased two weeks prior. At that time, I was in possession of a 10-22, Winchester 30-30, Remington 30-06, Browning 12 gauge Semi auto and a 1911 which were all gifts from my father. I had an attorney who should have fought the charge because we couldn't lose. Instead, I was naive and fell for the advice of someone that was just looking to spend as little time on my case as possible. Believe it or not, I was originally charged with Assault 4 DV, even though I never even touched my wife, not even yelled. Following the agreement, I was not asked if I had any guns, nor did anyone ever mention losing the right to own a gun. I never signed anything acknowledging the right to lose a weapon, I nearly lost a chance of a promotion at Boeing because of this incident and I would offer this advice. If you did not commit the crime, do NOT plea it down to save time or hassle, you will only spend more time dealing with it later.

In early May, I tried to purchase a new hunting Rifle and a new pistol. Because I purchased a pistol in WA, the NICS check defaults to the Local PD. No matter, my Long rifle purchase was also "delayed". The guy at the counter told me that he has been seeing delays like crazy and that as long as there is not a "deny" put on the check in three days, that they can sell me the long rifle. Never mind that, the Auburn PD instructed the store to put a 30-day hold on both purchases and that I needed to contact them for further information. I called the Auburn PD, who told me they had questions about my gun purchases, then asked me "Why is it that you want to buy a gun? Why don't you just call us if you need help?" My response was "Well for starters it is my right as a citizen of this country and secondly I just can't carry a cop around in my pocket". This woman proceeded to accuse me of lying on my application about any of the domestic violence crimes that would prevent me from owning a firearm. I was quick to point out that Mal Mischief is NOT one of the crimes listed for revocation of second amendment rights. The officer told me that she has passed this on to "legal" for review which I found out is complete garbage, you have either lost your gun rights or haven't and there is a clear list of crimes that prevent a person from losing those rights. I wasn't going to argue anything with a Police Officer, I am certain in doing so, that I would still be waiting for those guns. I contacted an attorney, explained the details and she told me that while she could easily get the case expunged, that the Auburn PD should have never prevented me from purchasing one in the first place. I hired her immediately to begin the process to vacate the record, but in the meantime she fired off a letter to the Auburn PD and the City Attorney's office with the details of the situation, explaining that the Auburn PD's reason for holding my purchase as invalid. That the crimes are clearly spelled out to them and that by RCW definition (which is worded the same as the Fed's) I have not been convicted of a Domestic Violence crime. That these are the ones that would prevent me from a gun purchase. Any one of these with the DV tag costs you 2nd amendment rights.

Assault IV
Coercion
Stalking
Reckless Endangerment
Criminal Trespass in the first degree
Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence

Even after the City Attorney instructed the Auburn PD to release the hold, they refused to acknowledge the instructions. After being phoned, emailed and faxed the Auburn PD's rep claimed to have not seen any of these messages or received any calls. Finally, I was copied on an email, directly to the rep in question that stated the hold needs to be removed. I saw the time stamp on the message, the reply to the City attorney and knew that indeed the rep had seen the message prior to claiming that she had not. I kept it cool, but eventually I was contacted by the gun counter and told that my hold had been released and that the sale of the guns were approved.

I took that opportunity to apply for my CPL (which I am required to do in Auburn) I am not worried about the time, I expect the Auburn PD to wait as long as they can before issuing the license based on the previous experience and am positive that I am going to get screwed over which will create further need for litigation that I plan to take, but I am fully disappointed in the amount of authority and loopholes that the PD can use to prevent me from purchasing a gun. I had to spend money on an attorney to force the Auburn PD to grant me the rights I never lost. I was informed that by placing the 30 day hold on the purchase, that the PD is using a loophole in that the application for gun purchase, there is a 29 day expiration and that by making the hold 30 days, that I would have to repeat the process and be subject to a continuing cycle, legally that would eventually force me to give up if I could not afford an attorney. Fortunately I can, but what about the others who don't have that kind of money at their disposal? After discussing this matter at length with my attorney, it would seem that the local PD is doing whatever they can to prevent the distribution of guns as a deterrent, in hopes that the buyer changes their mind before approval. That just seems wrong, just as it seems wrong for them to question why I wanted the gun. That isn't part of the approval process, what were they expecting? For me to come out and say "well I want to shoot people" so they can turn that into a mental instability question, thus spurring a denial based on my mental health? I will keep you posted on the CPL process, but I do not doubt that I will have to get assistance from my attorney once again, just to maintain the rights I never lost. I respect the police, in a big way. I always will, but this situation has me at odds with them.

I will say this, no matter how small the crime, if you didn't do it, then DO NOT PLEA to a lesser charge, fight that charge and force the court to drop the case, make it a jury trial, anything to keep your record clean.

wow that sucks . although i can't offer any advice i'll take the advice you gave about not plea for something i didn't do for a lessor charge.
best wishes and welcome to the forum
someone here should come along to offer some guidlines and or advice to get your rights back

wow that sucks . although i can't offer any advice i'll take the advice you gave about not plea for something i didn't do for a lessor charge.
best wishes and welcome to the forum
someone here should come along to offer some guidlines and or advice to get your rights back

That would be great, hopefully this won't be an issue once my attorney completes her mission. She has already filed the vacate for the conviction so it is just a matter of waiting now. The thing is, I never lost them in the first place. If I did, the new guns wouldn't be in my possession. Frustrating...

Glad to see you standing for your rights!! And you nailed it when you said how many ppl can't actualy afford a attorney and get screwed just because someone in the department has a problem with citizens carrying firearms. And that's what it boils down to. After your attorney has to fight for your cpl you should involve the local media as well

After reading my own post, I have to apologize for its length. For some reason I felt the details needed to be there in full.

I am curious as to what any of the LEO's think about it though. I would ask if when doing a check for CPL, if there is just a flag that states "no gun rights" or if the applicant's record is evaluated in depth. If so, when you saw the conviction of "malicious mischief 3 - DV" would you automatically consider it a deny?

Thank you for the information and advise. Too bad that some agencies will go out of their way to stand in the way of the constitutional rights of citizens.

After reading my own post, I have to apologize for its length. For some reason I felt the details needed to be there in full.

Apologize for what? You provided us with some very good first hand knowledge.

I'll agree with SGB.....Wow...what a first post!!:blink:

Welcome aboard and good luck with the CPL.

Great information in your post. Now, if you want to make an example of the city, ask your attorney if she would help you bring a civil case against the police department for violation of your rights... What part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED do they not understand?

Great information in your post. Now, if you want to make an example of the city, ask your attorney if she would help you bring a civil case against the police department for violation of your rights... What part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED do they not understand?

I think if I would have argued on my own, let them work me a little more, I might actually have a case, but when my attorney contacted both the PD and the Attorney's office, she mentioned that very thing (rights violation) Within an hour the City Attorney messaged the PD ordering them to release the hold, while the police still slowed that down, ultimately they released the hold. I like your thinking though! Even the Lawyer said "If that office isn't smart enough, this could actually turn into some big money". They were smart enough :laugh:

Glad you are OK for now...we'll wait for the next episode when you do keep us uptodate with your CPL...hopefully after this you won't have any problems.

ServerJedi,

Your problem is with the lautenburg amendment to the 1968 Gun Control Act in Federal Law. 18 USC 922 says:

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person -
(9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime
of domestic violence,
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess
in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive
any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in
interstate or foreign commerce.

RCW 9A.48.090 classifies Malicious Mischief III as a gross misdemeanor:

RCW 9A.48.090
Malicious mischief in the third degree.
(1) A person is guilty of malicious mischief in the third degree if he or she:
(a) Knowingly and maliciously causes physical damage to the property of another, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree; or
(b) Writes, paints, or draws any inscription, figure, or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any real or personal property owned by any other person unless the person has obtained the express permission of the owner or operator of the property, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree.
(2) Malicious mischief in the third degree is a gross misdemeanor.

RCW 10.99.020 makes the Malicious Mischief a crime of domestic violence when committed against a girlfriend:

RCW 10.99.020
Definitions.
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Agency" means a general authority Washington law enforcement agency as defined in RCW 10.93.020.
(2) "Association" means the Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs.
(3) "Family or household members" means spouses, former spouses, persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time, adult persons related by blood or marriage, adult persons who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past, persons sixteen years of age or older who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past and who have or have had a dating relationship, persons sixteen years of age or older with whom a person sixteen years of age or older has or has had a dating relationship, and persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship, including stepparents and stepchildren and grandparents and grandchildren.
(4) "Dating relationship" has the same meaning as in RCW 26.50.010.
(5) "Domestic violence" includes but is not limited to any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another:
(n) Malicious mischief in the third degree (RCW 9A.48.090);

Therefore, Washington state law says you were convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, and Federal law prohibits you from possessing firearms due to the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. Another section of 18 USC 922 also prohibits anyone from selling or transferring a firearm to you knowingly.

Since you are prohibited by Federal law from possessing a firearm, your CPL application will be denied, because that is one of the factors that local LEO may lawfully deny your application for.

Sounds to me like your attorney is not very well versed at all in Federal gun control laws.

This is exactly why when any of the Sailors under my supervision get charged with anything with domestic violence attached to it, I advise them to find the best lawyer that they can't afford and fight it all the way, because a domestic violence conviction, even a small misdemeanor, is more damaging in some regards than a felony conviction is.

All that is great info, but if you look further into the definition, it has to be a use of physical force type of crime (on top of others) I will get the details (which were spelled out in the document sent to the PD) and the definition is where the discrepancy exists.

As it is, I was not denied purchase by NICS check, I was held by the PD. The city attorney was the one who allowed the purchase. My attorney appeared to know what she was talking about as she was quick to have answers the first time I talked to her.

In this state, isnt getting a CPL under basically the same guidelines as making a purchase?

I do expect trouble getting the CPL anyways, which is why the vacate is taking place. We'll see.

All that is great info, but if you look further into the definition, it has to be a use of physical force type of crime (on top of others) I will get the details (which were spelled out in the document sent to the PD) and the definition is where the discrepancy exists.

As it is, I was not denied purchase by NICS check, I was held by the PD. The city attorney was the one who allowed the purchase. My attorney appeared to know what she was talking about as she was quick to have answers the first time I talked to her.

In this state, isnt getting a CPL under basically the same guidelines as making a purchase?

I do expect trouble getting the CPL anyways, which is why the vacate is taking place. We'll see.

Whether or not I agree with the law, I must ask.....wasn't physical force used to break the bird house in question? It didn't just break on its own, did it? As far as obtaining your CPL, RCW 9.41.070 contains the requirements:

" The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied, unless:

(a) He or she is ineligible to possess a firearm under the provisions of RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045, or is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law;

(b) The applicant's concealed pistol license is in a revoked status;

(c) He or she is under twenty-one years of age;

(d) He or she is subject to a court order or injunction regarding firearms pursuant to RCW 9A.46.080, 10.14.080, 10.99.040, 10.99.045, 26.09.050, 26.09.060, 26.10.040, 26.10.115, 26.26.130, 26.50.060, 26.50.070, or 26.26.590;

(e) He or she is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense;

(f) He or she has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor; or

(g) He or she has been ordered to forfeit a firearm under RCW 9.41.098(1)(e) within one year before filing an application to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person.

No person convicted of a felony may have his or her right to possess firearms restored or his or her privilege to carry a concealed pistol restored, unless the person has been granted relief from disabilities by the attorney general under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 925(c), or RCW 9.41.040 (3) or (4) applies."

Whether or not I agree with the law, I must ask.....wasn't physical force used to break the bird house in question? It didn't just break on its own, did it? As far as obtaining your CPL, RCW 9.41.070 contains the requirements:

" The applicant's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied, unless:

(a) He or she is ineligible to possess a firearm under the provisions of RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045, or is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law;

(b) The applicant's concealed pistol license is in a revoked status;

(c) He or she is under twenty-one years of age;

(d) He or she is subject to a court order or injunction regarding firearms pursuant to RCW 9A.46.080, 10.14.080, 10.99.040, 10.99.045, 26.09.050, 26.09.060, 26.10.040, 26.10.115, 26.26.130, 26.50.060, 26.50.070, or 26.26.590;

(e) He or she is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense;

(f) He or she has an outstanding warrant for his or her arrest from any court of competent jurisdiction for a felony or misdemeanor; or

(g) He or she has been ordered to forfeit a firearm under RCW 9.41.098(1)(e) within one year before filing an application to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person.

No person convicted of a felony may have his or her right to possess firearms restored or his or her privilege to carry a concealed pistol restored, unless the person has been granted relief from disabilities by the attorney general under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 925(c), or RCW 9.41.040 (3) or (4) applies."

Please know, first off that I am tempted to refer to you as "Sir" as I served 85-89, with a ride on Nimitz and the rest of it spent in the sunny environment of San Diego where I worked on some "communications upgrades". That I am totally respectful for the information you are posting and appreciate it to high levels. This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. But here we go on a long post. The contents of the information sent to the PD went as follows. I will address your other question about the birdhouse at the end.

Under Washington law, it is illegal for a person to possess a firearm if the person has been convicted of a felony or a domestic violence misdemeanor conviction for one of the following crimes: Assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment, criminal trespass in the first degree, or violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence. RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(i). This list does not include Malicious Mischief in the third degree.
RCW 9.41.040 provides in relevant part:
(1)(a) A person, whether an adult or juvenile, is guilty of the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree, if the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm after having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any serious offense1 as defined in this
chapter.
1 Under RCW 9.41.010(16), "Serious offense" means any of the following felonies or a felony attempt to commit any of the following felonies, as now existing or hereafter amended [. . .](b) Unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree is a class B felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2)(a) A person, whether an adult or juvenile, is guilty of the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree, if the person does not qualify under subsection (1) of this section for the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree and the person owns, has in his or her possession, or has in his or her control any firearm:
(i) After having previously been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity in this state or elsewhere of any felony not specifically listed as prohibiting firearm possession under subsection (1) of this section, or any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another, committed on or after July 1, 1993: Assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment, criminal trespass in the first degree, or violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence (RCW 26.50.060, 26.50.070, 26.50.130, or 10.99.040); [. . .]

Under federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 921(d) provides in relevant part:
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person –
(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
18 U.S.C. § 922(33)(A) defines “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” as an offense that:
(i) is a misdemeanor under Federal, State, or Tribal3 law; and
(ii) has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim
The elements of Malicious Mischief in the Third Degree are defined under RCW 9A.48.090:

(1) A person is guilty of malicious mischief in the third degree if he or she:
(a) Knowingly and maliciously causes physical damage to the property of another, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree; or
(b) Writes, paints, or draws any inscription, figure, or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any real or personal property owned by any other person unless the person has obtained the express permission of the owner or operator of the property, under circumstances not amounting to malicious mischief in the first or second degree.
This crime does not have an element of the use or attempted use of physical force or an element of the threatened use of a deadly weapon. Therefore, federal law does not prohibit the sale of firearms to a person convicted of Malicious Mischief in the Third Degree – Domestic Violence.
In conclusion, XXXXXXXXXXX's conviction for Malicious Mischief in the Third Degree – Domestic Violence does NOT render him ineligible to purchase or possess a firearm under Washington or federal law. Therefore, we ask that the Auburn Police Department immediately remove the 30-day hold and allow Mr. XXXXXXXX to purchase a firearm.

Now for those who care, here goes the story. Not that any of it matters, only the conviction. I was home from work, playing online video game on a PC that I built from scratch. It is the kind of game that other players can hack you up with medieval weaponry and played across the world (late 90's) A player has a character that needs to be built-up, gains with experience. Wife came home, was angered that I was not at the door to greet her with hugs and love, saw me playing the game and told me I needed to stop. I commented that I needed to get to a spot to "sign out" and before I knew it, she kicked over my freshly built computer. After I realized it's death, I calmly walked out to the garage, took a bird house and rolled it like a bowling ball onto the driveway, then commented "looks like a strike to me" and made a fist pump like it was a competition or something. The wife replies with "Nice move dxxxhead" and I walk back in the garage and began work on boat engine. I look out the side window and notice my very senior next door neighbor on the phone, but trying to look into my home while she is doing it. I didn't remember the time she called the police on me for having a bunch of screaming friends watching a Seahawk game (I know what you are thinking, since when had the Seahawks done anything to scream about? However that was the first year Holmgren had the team) I was drinking a glass of Apple juice, had it sitting on a work bench when the police showed up. They did their job, came in, talked to the wife, talked to the neighbor and talked to me separately. Of course, they assumed my apple juice was alcohol, nope, not a drop in me. The police heard the stories, which matched up and they still arrested me!!! My neighbor had called the police because I broke the bird house that I bought with my own money, it was never even my "wife's" birdhouse, it was OUR birdhouse. It was 14.99, I still have the receipt. My wife even insisted that she didn't want anything to happen and that she didn't call 911. Since my neighbor did it, none of that mattered? Hello?

Now maybe that looks like Physical Force to you and maybe the law is worded for it to fit that, but no one and I mean no one ever heard the story in court because it never made it there. One thing to note, in most court proceedings, when someone loses their gun rights, there is a record of the step that removes the right to possess firearm. No such step was ever taken in those proceedings.

Server Jedi,

I am leaving on the Nimitz in the very, very near future and she will be my home for the majority of the next 1.5 years, most of it at sea!

Yep, your story sounds like so many I have heard in the past. Both partners throw, kick or break something, and many times it is not even the partner that started it that gets the conviction. I won't bring gender into it, but it's pretty damn obvious.

I hope your lawyer can fix it. It needs to be expunged, so it doesn't continue to haunt you. A perfect example of why I tell them to get the best lawyer they can't afford and fight it all the way. I hate the way they tag domestic violence onto whatever little thing they can. It's like if you get a speeding ticket with your wife in the car I am surprised they don't tack domestic violence onto the ticket for "endangering" her. It truly disgusts me how many lives the state has ruined unjustly. Best of luck to you, my friend, I truly hope it works out for you.

thanks for taking the time to tell us your story. I feel for you having to deal with this and after reading your words, my first impression is that you are an educated individual with good intentions who just wants to be an armed, law abiding citizen. It's a shame that you're being bullied for an insignificant past accusation. My opinion is that they need to concentrate more on people who are a threat to our society, not someone who can be an asset to our society.

Your post, words, punctuation and grammar portray you as someone with intellect and it is just a shame that they'd waste precious time bullying you when they could be focusing more time on real threats.

I hope things blow over soon so you can move forward with your desires.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back