Local PD issues purchase/carry related

Indeed, the first time that the neighbor called the police, it was a few months prior. They showed up, came in and watched the game with us, then reported to my neighbor that we were in no way breaking any laws.

I think I lived next door to Gladys Kravitz from "Bewitched". She was on top of everything. One day she was working in her yard, overheard my wife say I needed to run to the store for eggs and she brought some over. A little creepy I know. Funny, for as much attention as she paid to our house, when it was broke into the year before, she didn't say a thing. The crooks were there a long time too. They were extremely stupid crooks though. I hid my guns well in the garage attic at the time, but I had a Snap-On roller chest that was full of Snap-On tools that I had been building over years of aircraft work valued well over 20,000 dollars. Those guys could have just tipped that thing over and left. Hardly traceable. Instead they took the rest of the house, all the electronics valued at 8k and had to fill the truck to do it. Mrs. Kravitz didn't hear a thing. :)

Server Jedi,

I am leaving on the Nimitz in the very, very near future and she will be my home for the majority of the next 1.5 years, most of it at sea!

Wow, I heard she was in Bremerton. Wow.. Amazing. Of course, you are not sleeping on 3 tiered beds with LCDR in your title. I heard that when the women started riding that it reduced officer quarters though. Hopefully that didn't take away anything from you :) Much respect. SIR. I was hired at Boeing 3 weeks after leaving USN, they called me to help build the B-2 and needed people with certain levels of clearance and good backgrounds ironically.

Yep, your story sounds like so many I have heard in the past. Both partners throw, kick or break something, and many times it is not even the partner that started it that gets the conviction. I won't bring gender into it, but it's pretty damn obvious.

I hope your lawyer can fix it. It needs to be expunged, so it doesn't continue to haunt you. A perfect example of why I tell them to get the best lawyer they can't afford and fight it all the way. I hate the way they tag domestic violence onto whatever little thing they can. It's like if you get a speeding ticket with your wife in the car I am surprised they don't tack domestic violence onto the ticket for "endangering" her. It truly disgusts me how many lives the state has ruined unjustly. Best of luck to you, my friend, I truly hope it works out for you.

Thank you!

The more my wife tried to tell them they were wrong, the worst it became. I was a cool customer, I knew better, but the police just kept dropping the "its procedure" line on me. My Defense Lawyer was a hack for sure, the new attorney is positive that this process is a slam dunk for me. All the details from the case, perfect follow through with no other convictions to speak of. It is already being processed and I do not have to attend court or anything. It should be complete in a few weeks. My CPL still has 13 days out of 30 left.

Wow, I heard she was in Bremerton. Wow.. Amazing. Of course, you are not sleeping on 3 tiered beds with LCDR in your title. I heard that when the women started riding that it reduced officer quarters though. Hopefully that didn't take away anything from you :) Much respect. SIR. I was hired at Boeing 3 weeks after leaving USN, they called me to help build the B-2 and needed people with certain levels of clearance and good backgrounds ironically.

I am in a 2 tiered bunk bed in a walk-in closet they call a two man stateroom.

thanks for taking the time to tell us your story. I feel for you having to deal with this and after reading your words, my first impression is that you are an educated individual with good intentions who just wants to be an armed, law abiding citizen. It's a shame that you're being bullied for an insignificant past accusation. My opinion is that they need to concentrate more on people who are a threat to our society, not someone who can be an asset to our society.

Your post, words, punctuation and grammar portray you as someone with intellect and it is just a shame that they'd waste precious time bullying you when they could be focusing more time on real threats.

I hope things blow over soon so you can move forward with your desires.

Thank you for the kind words!

This will all unfold in the next two weeks, but as you stated I am simply trying to be a law abiding citizen that is armed at more places than his house and or woods while hunting.

LCDR in a two man??!!?? Life sucks on the flat tops. :blink:

Actually, his setup would be considered quite accommodating, many O's end up in 3 man staterooms or whatever they call them. It may not be roomy, but he doesn't have Petty Officer Bean Burrito x40, who just worked 4th meal and has NO problem relieving gastro issues at your expense. Frankly, now that I think about it, there was some seriously gross action happening in those larger quarters. Your imagination is enough. :)

Actually, his setup would be considered quite accommodating, many O's end up in 3 man staterooms or whatever they call them. It may not be roomy, but he doesn't have Petty Officer Bean Burrito x40, who just worked 4th meal and has NO problem relieving gastro issues at your expense. Frankly, now that I think about it, there was some seriously gross action happening in those larger quarters. Your imagination is enough. :)

And we have flexible hours. Roommate and I can work opposite shifts. There are 3 person, 8 person, even 15 person staterooms for junior officers. I can't complain too much, enlisted on the submarine we were in a 9 man bunkroom which was only twice the size of my 2 person stateroom now.

CPL came today. No BS from the PD, no nothing, just short of three weeks. Part of me wondered if the PD was going to play a game just because they can, then the other part was thinking that how could the PD approve a Gun purchase, but not a CPL? Turns out that it was just a crock of crap from the PD in delaying the gun purchase, nothing more. They did it because they could. It was easier to get the CPL than it was the my last pistol. I just knew I didn't lose my gun rights with that conviction. Never in a court record, no one ever demanded I return any guns. I bet the PD scares a bunch of people off from buying for trivial crimes. Hey, don't get me wrong, violent men that beat their wives are the last guys I want carrying, I can understand the concern, but to play games like that is just horse dung.

CPL came today. No BS from the PD, no nothing, just short of three weeks. Part of me wondered if the PD was going to play a game just because they can, then the other part was thinking that how could the PD approve a Gun purchase, but not a CPL? Turns out that it was just a crock of crap from the PD in delaying the gun purchase, nothing more. They did it because they could. It was easier to get the CPL than it was the my last pistol. I just knew I didn't lose my gun rights with that conviction. Never in a court record, no one ever demanded I return any guns. I bet the PD scares a bunch of people off from buying for trivial crimes. Hey, don't get me wrong, violent men that beat their wives are the last guys I want carrying, I can understand the concern, but to play games like that is just horse dung.
Well....congratulations and welcome to the club...as if you are not a member yet but at least now you are legal. Take care out there.

I just feel bad for the guys that are trying to prepare themselves for purposes of self defense against the possible. What good is a baseball bat if your potential attacker has a gun? I can't be the only one. I can only hope that a newcomer reads this info and takes from it what he can. I didn't need to get the crime expunged for gun rights, but I don't like having a mark like that against me.

People don't see the details on background checks, they see a wife beater and to this day I have not laid a harmful hand on any woman.

Knowing what I know now I would recommend the following, especially in Auburn.

1. If you desire to purchase a firearm, look closely at the laws to see if you are in fact disqualified. It is not a judgement call, you were either convicted of a crime that revokes your rights or you aren't. The obvious test is if the courts ordered you to surrender any firearms or not. Beyond that, you can even look through the transcripts and check if there is a motion to revoke gun rights.

2. If you are serious about a gun, apply for your CPL before making the purchase. That alone will confirm you qualify.

3. If you are delayed more than 3 days on a long rifle purchase but not denied, the shop can sell you the long rifle at their discretion. In WA if you are making a pistol purchase and are held like I was for the attempted 30 days, feel free to present RCW instances in the form of a letter to both the PD and the city attorney's office.

4. If you were convicted of one of the crimes that revoke your gun rights AND that conviction is not surrounded by other convictions, get a lawyer that states they deal specifically in that arena, they will know if you qualify for expungement or not. According to my attorney, to vacate a gun right crime can take two months to process.

If your only conviction was Malicious Mischief 3 -DV, you have not lost your rights. Plain and simple. It is not a gray area, it is the law.

CPL came today. No BS from the PD, no nothing, just short of three weeks.
It's funny they granted it in three weeks with all the trouble they caused you before. Island County will not issue a CPL until day 30 exactly, regardless of how soon the background checks come back. They got snotty with me when I called on day 29 to ask about mine. And very nice summary you provided in post 31!

I went to court today and they were charging me with Malicious Mischief in the second degree but they offered my attorney to lower it to the third degree due to it being my first and only offense.

Being a drunk idiot I had booted a door open while leaving an establishment. The glass had broken and was projected to cost more than the $750 to make it a Class C felony. But like I said they want to plea it to third degree. If I take that, I feel compared to your story that I should be able to keep my CPL. Any opinions on that?

Would they be able to amend the charge and make it so I couldn't posses a gun? I fear that because in the police report it said I had threatened some ones life. But not with any weapons or anything. Just drunk talk and being mad.

My lawyer doesn't seem to knowledgeable on gun rights but tells me I should be fine because my "DV" isn't against a person just like this story I've read.

Thank you for such a great post and the useful information you've provided.

Being a drunk idiot I had booted a door open while leaving an establishment. The glass had broken and was projected to cost more than the $750 to make it a Class C felony. But like I said they want to plea it to third degree. If I take that, I feel compared to your story that I should be able to keep my CPL. Any opinions on that?

Reading the RCW it looks like the only way you could lose your CPL would be if you were carrying a firearm at the time of the offense and are ordered by the court to forfeit that firearm. You would lose you CPL for one year.

Make absolutely sure you know EVERYTHING you are pleading guilty to and EVERYTHING attached to it. I would have a second lawyer review it to be sure.

Yes I will read over it all very carefully. And would ask another party to check it. I wasn't carrying because I knew I would be drinking. And for the most part I don't carry that often anyway. I just like to have my rights and practice them. Thank you for the advice.

My conviction was vacated last year sometime, I don't remember exactly when, but I ended up having to show up, walk up to the bench, where the judge stated from that moment forward, I could state that I have never been convicted of any crime. That if for some reason it showed up, that I could present the paperwork provided stating that very thing.

As stated before, the quality of counsel is a major deal and having an attorney that knew the ropes with gun rights was huge for me. My conviction did not keep me from getting a firearm, but having that conviction removed, especially for such a small event is a relief.

My conviction was vacated last year sometime, I don't remember exactly when, but I ended up having to show up, walk up to the bench, where the judge stated from that moment forward, I could state that I have never been convicted of any crime. That if for some reason it showed up, that I could present the paperwork provided stating that very thing.

As stated before, the quality of counsel is a major deal and having an attorney that knew the ropes with gun rights was huge for me. My conviction did not keep me from getting a firearm, but having that conviction removed, especially for such a small event is a relief.

WA is weird like that. DV isn't a crime in itself but a tag they put onto other various crimes. Only seen it put on malicious mischief one other time when a guy dropped and broke a bowl while arguing with his wife. Common law made that bowl her property and made it a DV crime somehow.. Totally ridiculous.. Congrats on getting it vacated though, even though it can be a pain in the ass. Even though you can legally say you've never been convicted, if it somehow comes up on a employment related background check it just makes you look dishonest. Happens frequently unfortunately.

Just a bit more info...if you do not know whether or not you are prohibited do not answer any question on the 4473 until you find out your status. Almost all states have a process in place that can allow most prohibited persons to get their firearm rights restored. If you are a DV or a federal felon then the states cannot help you at all.

Vacating a conviction does NOT restore one's right to possess a firearm.. and by extension, possess a CPL. Vacating and restoration of rights are COMPLETELY different animals.. the most common misunderstanding is thinking rights are restored without going thru the process of having them specifically restored.

If this was your first post, I look forward to reading many more.

You are articulate, you gave good information, and you did it for the betterment of everyone here.

Welcome sir!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back