Local PD issues purchase/carry related

WA is weird like that. DV isn't a crime in itself but a tag they put onto other various crimes. Only seen it put on malicious mischief one other time when a guy dropped and broke a bowl while arguing with his wife. Common law made that bowl her property and made it a DV crime somehow.. Totally ridiculous.. Congrats on getting it vacated though, even though it can be a pain in the ass. Even though you can legally say you've never been convicted, if it somehow comes up on a employment related background check it just makes you look dishonest. Happens frequently unfortunately.

Yes, that is why I had the security people at my employer, a very large Aerospace company that does very detailed background checks verify that it would no longer pop-up in their checks. There are levels of clearance in some situations and to them, the arrest does show up, just not the formalities following it. At this point, it is the only employment search I am concerned about because I most likely will not be looking for another job at this stage of my life. It was questioned though in my last step in advancement, I was asked about it and it did not stop me from progressing. I would rather not be asked about it again.

Vacating a conviction does NOT restore one's right to possess a firearm.. and by extension, possess a CPL. Vacating and restoration of rights are COMPLETELY different animals.. the most common misunderstanding is thinking rights are restored without going thru the process of having them specifically restored.

It seems to me that if a citizen's goal was to restore their right to possess a firearm, that it would be the focus of the attorney hired to get them restored and that vacating is just a step in the process. In my case, I never lost the right in the first place. My attorney explained clearly that I did not lose my right to own a firearm and that I did not need to go through the vacate process. I chose to do so for other reasons.

I can totally understand why a gun-right crime conviction automatically starts the process for the line "Unable to own/purchase Firearm" but that it doesn't automatically start the process in reverse. First of all, it is a step in the sentencing process, not just a computer batch job. Second, there may be other factors that would continue to hold the loss of gun-rights. That is why my attorney stated "Do you just want your gun-rights restored? Or are you wanting to vacate your conviction? They are two different processes" That was before she knew that I never lost my rights in the first place and that the Local PD was simply trying to slow the process down or divert me altogether.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back