Kentucky duty to notify?

I just took the course a few weeks ago. The instruction manual was provided by the department of justice for Kentucky. THE MANUAL specifically spelled out what you are "suppose" to do. This was not just the instructor giving his opinion. It's written in the manual that is provided to teach a ccw that issued by the state of kentucky. It spells it out very clearly. Page 21. I'll post it tonight. I'm not telling ANYONE what they should do. I'm simply stating WHAT THE TRAINING MATERIALS ISSUED BY THE STATE say to do. I couldn't careless what you do quite frankly. How would that concern me? I just think people should refer people to the law OR how the state trains ccw holders. Otherwise, what's the point of the class?

So, Mojo57, if I don't do what I am "supposed" to do in Kentucky, and instead do what is only required here, from the Kentucky Department of Justice instead:

Link Removed

IV. Regulation of License Holders
A. Duty to carry license; duty to display license
The license holder must carry the license any time he or she is carrying a deadly weapon concealed, and must show it to a law enforcement officer if requested. Failure to carry the license, or to display it, will result in a $25 fine.

Exactly, why would I be wrong? Straight from the Kentucky Department of Justice, pal.

The test doesn't say, do you don't have to inform if you don't want to. It SAYS IMFORM.

I don't give a damn what the test says,the test does not have the force of law. The law does not require notification

Here's what is taught as part of your training to get a ccw. as I mentioned, I couldnt care less what you all do. Quite frankly, one thing I've realized since registering for this forum is that I have almost zero in common with the great majority. In all candor it's been a complete turn off to the world of firearms as much as I love them. So if you don't care if it doesn't have the force of law do whatever. My point being that THAT is what is taught. And I'm sure it is what is EXPECTED of a LEO. I have no issue following the recommendations/instruction of the licensing authority on the issue.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Whatever. It's meaningless to you. So be it. It's a training recommendation just like not putting your finger on the trigger until youre ready to shoot. So why don't you walk around with your finger on the trigger since there's no law against it? are you going to go jail for not informing? Who knows. Will you get convicted of a crime if so, probably not. Does it make sense to follow what the licensing body teaches? In my opinion yes.

Quite frankly, one thing I've realized since registering for this forum is that I have almost zero in common with the great majority.

You are mistaken. You have a lot in common with the majority of members on this forum. You want to feel out of place, go to forums.opencarry.org.

Nothing in the manual pages that you posted stated what is required for a person to do. The manual also says there are good reasons for removing your gun from the holster while driving...do you do that religiously too, because the manual says it is a good idea?

The manual says, "Officers, obviously, are concerned about their safety when they encounter a person". Notice how slanted that is?!? Nobody, apparently, is going to be concerned about my safety and the safety of my passengers but me. The safest place for my gun is secure in it's holster, no hands touching it, PERIOD. The manual recommends that I handle my gun every time I get in and out of my vehicle! Really?!? Hell no. Informing the officer does ONE thing and ONE thing ONLY - it invites the officer to handle my gun, placing myself, my passengers and innocent bystanders in more danger from a negligent discharge because it is an invitation for the officer to handle my gun for no reason at all. PERIOD. It in NO WAY actually, in reality, makes anyone more safe.

I could not care less about taking actions to give certain individuals warm and fuzzy feelings of false safety, ESPECIALLY when those exact same actions may result in the REALITY of placing myself and others in MORE REAL danger than necessary.

I think we can put this to rest. Never said it stated what is required by law. Always said its what it is taught that SHOULD be done. The suggestion about unholstering is a just that. A simple suggestion about benefits of doing so. I'll continue to maintain that what SHOULD be done is what they teach. Considering it's highly likely hat the LEO will know I'm a ccw I prefer to take the affirmative step notifying. Much better in my opinion than having him possibly surprised. I don't have a lot of faith in all LEO so Id rather not risk have one draw their gun on me because they may be under the mistaken belief I am REQUIRED to notify. Nor do I want to get berated by not doing what we are taught. Simple as that. Other readers can decide for themselves what is better for them.

Id rather not risk have one draw their gun on me because they may be under the mistaken belief I am REQUIRED to notify.

A LEO that draws his gun because he doesn't know the law needs to be subject to disciplinary action and receive training because they are a danger to the public. It's not my job nor my duty to keep LEO from taking stupid and dangerous actions. It's my duty to keep myself safe, and my family safe...so I will take the actions (on not take actions) which are most likely to keep my gun safely in it's holster.

As mentioned above, Kentucky is a "no inform" state but the best way to simply handle it is as follows.

If you get pulled over for something, pull over as soon as is safe to do, keep your hands on the steering wheel until the LEO gets to the window, then roll the window down and when asked for your driver's license, hand them both your DL & CCDW at the same time. Leave it up to them to decide if they want to go down that avenue or not. Some will, others won't. Oh, and one major piece of advice; NEVER, EVER say or use the word, "GUN"! While some officer's are experienced and trained well, others, including rookies ARE NOT! Those that are not trained well or haven't had the life experience will tend to freak out when they hear the word GUN mentioned or said.

TangoDown:277706 said:
As mentioned above, Kentucky is a "no inform" state but the best way to simply handle it is as follows.

If you get pulled over for something, pull over as soon as is safe to do, keep your hands on the steering wheel until the LEO gets to the window, then roll the window down and when asked for your driver's license, hand them both your DL & CCDW at the same time. Leave it up to them to decide if they want to go down that avenue or not. Some will, others won't. Oh, and one major piece of advice; NEVER, EVER say or use the word, "GUN"! While some officer's are experienced and trained well, others, including rookies ARE NOT! Those that are not trained well or haven't had the life experience will tend to freak out when they hear the word GUN mentioned or said.

If you get pulled over for something, pull over as soon as is safe to do, keep your hands on the steering wheel until the LEO gets to the window, then roll the window down and when asked for your driver's license, hand them your DL. If they ask if you are carrying a firearm, hand them your ccw, otherwise its a none issue.

TangoDown:277706 said:

And would you care to share with us exactly what qualifies you to tell me and EVERYONE else what is the "best" way to handle a simple traffic stop? Hmmmm?

I'll stick with what has worked extremely well for me in the past, which is exactly what FFCHEN posted. It's a tested and proven method to get me on my way in the shortest amount of time with a >50% rate of only getting a warning with zero concern or hassle about my gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back