Kentucky duty to notify?

towboater

I've looked and looked, maybe I'm slow or not well versed in Internet usage. I can't find if Kentucky is notify state. If you get pulled over etc. if anyone has found the link or info on it that would be appreciated. If not I can just call KSP and ask and hope they are not to biased ;)

Not 100% but I don't think we are could be wrong just ask sheriffs office or ksp if I remember I'll ask my cousin he is ksp

Picked up my CCDW last werk here in Boone County and have not been without my new SR9c since becoming legal!
Have many friends on the force, am in no way in the law enforcement field, but why would you not inform them
that you were carrying? It is probably my fault if I get pulled over, but still have nothing to hide either.
They probably will appreciate the up front honesty, and might even be lenient with you. All of the deputies
I know, are extremely pro-carry...so unless hiding something, again I ask, why would one not be open and
upfront?? Just curious to other's train of thought on this topic?

Picked up my CCDW last werk here in Boone County and have not been without my new SR9c since becoming legal!
Have many friends on the force, am in no way in the law enforcement field, but why would you not inform them
that you were carrying? It is probably my fault if I get pulled over, but still have nothing to hide either.
They probably will appreciate the up front honesty, and might even be lenient with you. All of the deputies
I know, are extremely pro-carry...so unless hiding something, again I ask, why would one not be open and

It's generally a bad idea to inform when not required to by law. Remember that not all cops are gun guys. Why add extra hassle to their job and turn a routine traffic stop into an extended headache?

From Kentucky Statue KRS 237.110

(15) The licensee shall carry the license at all times the licensee is carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon and shall display the license upon request of a law enforcement officer. Violation of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25), payable to the clerk of the District Court, but no court costs shall be assessed.

So mandatory only when I asked. However, I disagree with the previous poster. IMHO, it does no harm and would be looked at as a curtesy by the officer to let them know that I am legally carrying. When everything is legal you have nothing to fear. Some officers may not agree with you carrying a gun, but my own experience is that many more than not have no ill feelings against it. Some in fact from pro-gun areas encourage it and would even treat you more favorable as you have shown by your record and required training that you are more law abiding than some of the other people they have contact with on a daily basis. Also, the permit is issued by the State Police so although the public doesn't have access to the information you can bet that any police officer who runs a check on your drivers license will know when that checks come back. Volunteering the information before hand will prevent them feeling surprised.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick feedback, I knew about it showing on the plates. Nothing to hide here, as stated above just no reason to add any more steps into the equation. Im in fayette county, not all the cops here are gun guys for sure.

Thanks for all the quick feedback, I knew about it showing on the plates. Nothing to hide here, as stated above just no reason to add any more steps into the equation. Im in fayette county, not all the cops here are gun guys for sure.

I am normally very much in the do not inform unless asked camp but I might consider it if it were linked to my DL. If the cop was going to know anyway I might go ahead and hand him my permit.

I am normally very much in the do not inform unless asked camp but I might consider it if it were linked to my DL. If the cop was going to know anyway I might go ahead and hand him my permit.

Here's the problem I have with that line of thinking, Treo. Let's say during a traffic stop, you do not inform the officer of your CPL (CCW Permit). Officer makes no mention of a firearm during his initial visit to your window. He goes back to his car and finds out you have a valid CPL from your name/driver's license. He comes back and gives you a hassle about it, maybe frisking you and running the serial number of your gun.

If you end up in court, you now have a reason to call into question the officer's actions. Why? Because he had no concern about any firearms during the initial stages of the encounter. He never asked if there were weapons, he left you alone and walked back to his car. He had no concern for his safety until AFTER he found out from an official source that any firearm that you possessed was 99% chance to be legal to be possessed and carried because of your permit. You allowed him the opportunity to show concern for his safety during the entire time of his initial contact with you, and, by his actions, he showed that he was not concerned until he found out about your permit. So why, after he finds out from an official source that you are legal to carry a gun, would he then develop a concern for his safety that was not there before?

Now, if you inform the officer right up front, you take away that defense in court. You show the officer a permit and "confess" to possessing a weapon. Well, guess what...the officer at this point has no idea if that piece of paper you handed him is actually valid or not. He pulls you out of the car, frisks you, seizes your firearm and runs the serial number. You just gave up a very vital defense that you might have had in court because you never gave the officer a chance to continue to conduct the stop without showing concern for his safety.

Would you also inform of the cell phone on your hip? The CD/Cassette/8-track tape in your console? The Burger King trash on the back seat?

Here's the problem < Snip> safety.

I guess that makes sense but in Colorado they run your license before they ever turn on the lights. So, in theory (if Colorado linked CHP to license) they'd know you had a permit before they ever got to the car.

I assumed KY was the same as far as running the license before starting the interaction.

When you are pulled over, they know that you have a CCDW in Kentucky.

I was pulled over, the LEO came to the door and I notified that I had a CCDW and was not carrying. He said it sounded like I was a guy who follows the rules and let me off with a warning.

I was pulled over, the LEO came to the door and I notified that I had a CCDW and was not carrying. He said it sounded like I was a guy who follows the rules and let me off with a warning.

What rules? There's no law that requires you to inform in KY.

I guess that makes sense but in Colorado they run your license before they ever turn on the lights. So, in theory (if Colorado linked CHP to license) they'd know you had a permit before they ever got to the car.

I assumed KY was the same as far as running the license before starting the interaction.

How does the police officer know who is driving the vehicle before they obtain a driver's license from that person? For example, one of the vehicles that I have titled and registered in my name only is driven 95% of the time by someone other than me. I have a CPL. The person who drives that vehicle 95% of the time does not. AND...if the officer knows about a CPL from the license plates, then why the need to re-affirm that you have a CPL if the officer already knows it?

If you were a guy who follows the rules, then what were you stopped for in the first place? Following the rules?

Officer: "Do you know why I stopped you, sir?"
Driver: "Because I came to a complete stop at that stop sign back there, behind the stop line, and only proceeded through the intersection after ascertaining that it was safe to do so, obeying all applicable speed limits in the process, being in possession of the proper non-expired insurance and vehicle registration with a valid driver's license?"
Officer: "Yes, exactly sir, have a nice day!"

What rules? There's no law that requires you to inform in KY.

The rules according to that particular officer's opinion...of course.

I don't understand why so many people get defensive about this. Having a permit to carry is not some deep dark secret to be ashamed of. If your carrying legal and have nothing to hide, why are you going to need a defense in court? Common courtesy is nothing to fear.

I don't understand why so many people get defensive about this. Having a permit to carry is not some deep dark secret to be ashamed of. If your carrying legal and have nothing to hide, why are you going to need a defense in court? Common courtesy is nothing to fear.

You never know when you are going to be dealing with an Officer Harless. You carry a gun for the remote chance that you have to protect yourself from a criminal, right? Why not take simple steps to protect yourself for the remote chance that you might have to protect yourself from a criminal in a uniform and a badge? It does no harm.

I've been involved in three tragic stops sense getting my CCW. All three times I was carrying. The first and third it was a simple warning and I was not asked to get out of the vehicle. The second stop started out the same but after discussion with the officer, he asked me to step out of the vehicle. I proceeds to inform and show my permit. He put his hand near his gun and asked me to step out. I told him where my gun was on me, he took it and set it on hood, after finishing with tragic stop, running the gun and ashing out misunderstanding over stop. I was off with my gun and another warning. At all times the officer was polite and professional, as was I. I would not notify unless asked to exit the vehicle in a non mandatory state.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back