It works, but they just won't admit it

Stiofan

An employee of the local Goodwill Thrift store had just exited to the parking lot to take the day's receipts to the bank when she was attacked and threatened by a knife to her throat by a would be robber. Notice how the more liberal big town paper across the Idaho/Washington border in Spokane describes it, and then notice how the local Coeur D'Alene paper does the same. Go to the links to see the full articles.

Goodwill employee attacked at knifepoint - Spokesman.com - Nov. 28, 2011

Spokane Spokesman-Review said:
Goodwill employee attacked at knifepoint

A female employee of the Coeur d’Alene Goodwill store said she was attacked at knifepoint at 2 p.m. today when she left the store to make a bank deposit.

The woman said she was getting into her vehicle in the store’s parking lot at 1212 N. Fourth Street when she was grabbed from behind by a man who put a knife to her throat, a news release from the Coeur d’Alene Police Department said.

The man demanded her purse and after a struggle, he shoved her to the ground. Someone came out of the store, saw what was happening, and shouted at the man. He ran off through an alley between Fourth and Fifth streets.

The woman was able to hold onto her purse which contained the store’s bank deposit. She has a red mark on her neck from the knife, the release said.................................

Link Removed

Coeur D'Alene Press said:
Drop it, or I'll shoot you'

COEUR d'ALENE - Tim Patterson has no doubts he would have pulled the trigger.

He's glad he didn't have to.

But when a woman is being attacked by a man with a knife, Patterson says he'll do what must be done.

"If he had not stopped what he was doing," he says, his voice fading. "He came very close to dying. Really, really close."

Monday afternoon was another normal day of cooking burgers and fries and hot dogs and Philly cheesesteaks for Tim and Debbie Patterson.

Then, about 2 p.m., they heard a scream.

Tim rushed out the back door of The Big Yellow mobile kitchen at the corner of Harrison and Fourth. He looked around the Goodwill parking lot full of cars, and heard another scream. Then, he heard a woman's voice.

"Let go of me," it shrieked.

Patterson charged around a car and stopped. A man had a woman's head pulled back with one hand, and a knife to her throat with the other.

Patterson didn't hesitate.

He drew his Kimber 1911 .45 with a six-shot clip.

"Drop it, or I'll shoot you," he shouted.............................

The first doesn't even mention the armed citizen saving this woman's life, even going so far as to imply the robber left because someone from the store screamed at him. Pretty sad. The second article is about 3 times as long and interviews the hero, and tells what really happened.

I wonder how it must feel to the person writing the first article, knowing he/she is omitting facts because of personal bias. To know in your heart that you're wrong, but continue anyway must be pretty depressing when looking in a mirror.

So what else is new in the field of "reporting"? Freedom of the press, as envisioned by Jefferson involved having an informed electorate but it has become a big joke as the information the public is entitled to is "canned crap" or totally filled with opinion or slanted facts.

The media never ceases to amaze me when it comes to biased journalism and selective reporting. A couple of time I've witnessed incidents (along with other people as well) and have read about it in the local paper the next day and said "That's not what happened...."

I've never trusted the media, especially the liberal media (which is about 99%). A couple of years ago I saw an excellent presentation online about how certain photo "journalists" working in Iraq for big-name liberal outlets like CNN and MSNBC would alter a scene before taking a picture of it. If I remember correctly, one guy carried around children's toys and would place one in the rubble of a bombed-out building before taking the picture. Another guy paid one of the locals to lay in the rubble and act like a civilian casualty while his brother stood over him and pretended to be distraught. A wide shot of a recently bombed area had been photoshopped to make the damage look more extensive. These photographs actually appeared on CNN's etc., websites. Another journalist....a real journalist....saw what was going on and took pictures of the BS journalists in action and gave his photos to somebody who then did this presentation. Good stuff and a real eye-opener.

Never, never trust any news media, till you can verify the story from someone's first-hand experience. Between the politically correct reporters and our government censureship, it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's really going on.

Wonder if a letter to the editor of the Spokane Spokesman-Review would get published? I think we already know the answer to that one.

This woman is very lucky. If nogods, Rich_S, BC1 or possibly Grognard Gunny or Agent Green had come out of the store, she would have been left to defend herself. To some people defending the life of a stranger is just not worth the hassle.

Carrying a gun for defense only works if you are willing to use it. I believe this post is on topic due to the title of this thread: "It works, but they just won't admit it"

Between the politically correct reporters and our government

That would be redundant! LOL. I call it the "Ministry of Propaganda" or "Propaganda Agency". There isn't an honest, out spoken media print/radio or TV outlet left willing to tell the truth and do the job the founders expected. I know, that is a broad brush but, IF it is there, it isn't easy to hear. This article is a perfect example.

Between the politically correct reporters and our government

That would be redundant! LOL. I call it the "Ministry of Propaganda" or "Propaganda Agency/Administration". There isn't an honest, out spoken media print/radio or TV outlet left willing to tell the truth and do the job the founders expected. I know, that is a broad brush but, IF it is there, it isn't easy to hear. This article is a perfect example.

This woman is very lucky. If nogods, Rich_S, BC1 or possibly Grognard Gunny or Agent Green had come out of the store, she would have been left to defend herself. To some people defending the life of a stranger is just not worth the hassle.

Carrying a gun for self defense only works if you are willing to use it. I believe this post is on topic due to the title of this thread: "It works, but they just won't admit it"

Trying to predict how ANYONE is going to react in a given emergency situation.... foolhardy. I will gladly let you observe how I react but never presume to "know" HOW I would react. (Who knows, you might even cover my six if I acted. Then again you might even "accidently" shoot me in the butt. LOL!)

The second paragraph is even better. Carrying a gun for self defense only works if used for it's primary mission. By appearing willing to "extend" the meaning of "self defense" to an "observed situation" NOT of immediate risk to life and limb of yourself puts you in a legally awkward position, should things go badly in your rescue efforts.

In the case in question, obviously of more clear cut need of immediate action than the Denny's case, of long discussion in these forums, I would have probably done exactly the same as our would be "White Hat"/"Lone Ranger" chap in the correct/unabridged story. ...and hoped the BG would "bag it" instead of doing something worse.

Again, and I realize this is exactly the point where we divide in opinion, if you are willing to extend your concept of "self defense" to include situations where YOU, personally, are not at risk of life and limb, as in "rescue operations", you risk putting yourself in a position of being forevermore unable to "protect" yourself, your family or anyone else ever again. ... and it would ALL hinge on the tender mercies of our rather arbitrary Court system. NOT my first choice of seeking "Justice", if you get my drift.

Now I know your heart and emotions are in the right(eous) place.... believe me I still have residuals of my "White Knight" mind set in me..... but I have managed to also instill in myself the idea that SELF defense is and should be, exactly that. So while I would, in this particular case, more than likely, have taken some action similar to what transpired, I would be kicking myself in the ass the whole time realizing that I could very well end up dead or incarcerated for a long time, depending on how things "turn out" (another intangible).... and THEN what use would I be to my family in the way of protector?

There's a reason why it is called "self defense" rather than auxilliary police work.

GG

^^^^^^^

That's why I posted "possibly Grognard Gunny"; and I must say, you stepped up to the plate beautifully.

Never let a Sheepdog slip in a cheap shot. I just wish they wouldn't drool so much! (Wink.)

GG

Gunny, I thought you said you were finished with trying to educate those who already know everything?? Never argue with the omnipotent....you'll only lose.

At least in their eyes.

No "education" intended. Some deliberate "baiting" I do succumb to every so often. They do serve to add some entertainment value here and there.

Besides the "antagonist" in this and I pretty much see eye to eye, with the exception of level of "Sheepdog" tendencies in each of us and some safety concerns. Other than that......

GG

Carrying a gun for defense only works if you are willing to use it. I believe this post is on topic due to the title of this thread: "It works, but they just won't admit it"

Was that really necessary ?

I wonder how it must feel to the person writing the first article, knowing he/she is omitting facts because of personal bias. To know in your heart that you're wrong, but continue anyway must be pretty depressing when looking in a mirror.

Ya know over life I have discovered that some folks don't have a mirror!

Liberal media bias just irritates the heck out of me. Like another said--how do they look at themselves in the mirror and like what they see. It is all about ratings and their personal aggendas.

We al know what to expect from the Liberal Bureau of Media. When you look at a Liberal BM article you are rarely surprised. You know Liberal BM slant you are likely to see.

Liberal media bias just irritates the heck out of me. Like another said--how do they look at themselves in the mirror and like what they see. It is all about ratings and their personal aggendas.
...how they look at themselves in the mirror...it is called Hubris (hu·bris), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back