Is open carry smart, depending on location?

I'm sure all of us here would even agree that AT LEAST 75% of teens should not carry...

I don't even agree with 25% of that.

...and in fact a very large percentage of adults should not carry.

And find no facts at all to respond to in that.

To all of you arguing over gross over generalizations, let's save that for another thread.

Oh, the irony.

Blues

That's a surprisingly ignorant statement. I've fought in MMA for years, and have seen "small guys" absolutely kick ass when placed in matches against bigger guys. Also, I'm about the same size as the average adult man, but with much more muscle mass, so will you extend that to say that most men shouldn't carry either, based on size?

As am I -- martial arts trained since the age of 14 -- first black belt earned at the age of 21. I can kick anybody's wazoo no matter what size they are. Little guys are fast and fragile and big guys are slow and stupid.

But teens are still growing, and any teen any size can be deprived of their firearm easily by any big dude, especially the darker ones which are more thick boned.

Ergo teens should not carry guns -- they would only be a liability to themselves.

Thanks, this is the exact answer I was looking for. I plan on using a multi level retention holster and not carrying in crowded areas such as shopping malls, or with a high "anti-gun" population, like you said. That's a good point about being jumped instead of somebody simply trying to grab it and run away. I also understand why police officers would be wary, but I hold the utmost respect for our law enforcement and always try to remain polite and composed. Also, I plan on asking them to take possession of it just to defuse the situation. Being that we live in Arizona where so many nut cases could be carrying concealed, I feel that being able to adequately protect myself is a justifiable trade off to needing to explain myself to law enforcement.
Your statements are fraught with contradictions.

Either you are going to carry or you are not.

If you carry then carry 24/7/365 everywhere.

If not then never.

And never never surrender your gun. That is pure foolishness.

Your statements are fraught with contradictions.

Either you are going to carry or you are not.

If you carry then carry 24/7/365 everywhere.

If not then never.

And never never surrender your gun. That is pure foolishness.
So you advocate carrying into posted businesses....

Well, looks as if we may have some of the same ones pop up in a new "Handle". I took a quick check of the ones from a few years back same old stuff new names. I sure miss the "Like" button.
You'll find this is true for all forums, regardless of topic.

Participants tend to polerize in pro/anti groups, and read posts so as to reply, not understand.

The best end up leaving the forum. Mods have to let the trolls run free, or end up with a closed forum either by choice or lack of participants.

The more successful forums have tiered civility requirement areas from a free-for-all mosh pit to paid-member perfectly civil and always on-topic discussions.

Originally Posted by BluesStringer: I don't even agree with 25% of that.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Scottsdale most teenagers have no respect for adults or law enforcement.

Apparently ole Blues lives in an area where he can easily be convinced and fluently speak for all teenagers being mature and responsible enough to carry as an adult.

I tried tellin' him a long while ago that even though there are some teens who were raised properly and trained on guns to be responsible that they don't speak for all of them. Just because some are responsible, he assumes all are.

But you'll soon realize you can't tell him nothin.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Scottsdale most teenagers have no respect for adults or law enforcement.

Totally irrelevant to anything you said before, or that I responded to you about.

I grew up right next door to you in SoCal, have lived in Alabama for the last 25 years, will turn 62 in a couple of weeks, and have been a gun owner since age 9. You have much to learn Young Skywalker, especially about how to cite statistics.

Throwing around statements about you being, "...sure all of us here would even agree that AT LEAST 75% of teens should not carry," is a claimed statistic that isn't even borne out by the responses you've gotten to this thread. All of the first six replies to your OP simply gave you an answer about open carry. Only one of those first six even mentioned your age, but none of them used it to argue against your carrying any way you damn well please in Scottsdale, AZ. Looking back over the thread thus far, it appears to me that only one poster, an ostensible newcomer as it happens, argued strongly against you carrying based on your age at all, whether open or otherwise. The focus of the thread shifted away from your OP to the rest of the participants taking issue with some aspect of that poster's first and/or subsequent posts, and many of those arguments put forth the notion that young age shouldn't be an obstacle to you exercising your rights against that poster's ridiculous assertion that even 21 is too young to "allow" people to exercise their "rights," the latter being put in quotations to draw attention to the backwards thinking present in the notion that legally full-on adults who are allowed to exercise their constitutional "rights" have no rights to begin with.

Anyway, I reject your notion that "all of us" members here will ever agree on anything of substance. Many, if not most, of the few regulars who still post here haven't been in the 18 age-range for over 40 years, and some for over 60 years. Yes, it's true, you have joined a forum of which the regular membership is comprised mostly of old farts. We don't know it all, but each one of us does know what we each believe about rights issues, carry issues and age issues, and we don't need no wet-behind-the-ears young whippersnapper tellin' us what all of us would agree with! LOL Relax, it's a joke. Kinda. LOL

Carry if you think you're ready, don't if you don't, but whatever your decision, don't let some jaded ol' retired Marine that you've never met and never will, tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Learning that strangers on the internet are not qualified to give you advice about your own life's decisions is one among many tests of whether or not you're a man.... yet.

Blues

I am not fond of the notion of teens carrying guns either, whether openly or concealed.

Their brains are not fully developed until about age 25.

Looks like maybe yours isn't either Sailor. Just saying.

Semper Fi.
Sorry in advance - off topic

I can only surmise that you feel we should not let our boys in the military until 25, probably shouldn't be allowed to vote untill they're 25 and obviously -0- alcohol until their brains fully develop > of that's when they turn 25 - right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back