Is open carry smart, depending on location?

That would depend on the class.

If the test is for competency, and you pass, you are therefore competent. That's what passing the test means and you can give others proof of your competency by giving them an official certificate from the instructor (we do this as part of most permit aplications, btw).
Passing a skills and knowledge competency test doesn't ensure good judgment or a mature attitude.

Young teens take classes in how to drive and pass the tests but they aren't the most responsible drivers. There's a reason why their car insurance rates are more expensive.

How many of them drew a concealed or open holstered gun that they were carrying? It looks like the majority of them were defending themselves in their homes. An admirable feat of course but not the same as carrying in public.

Of course they can be, we even have an entire branch of the Judicial systom dedicated to Juvenile Court. AND we have a prison systom commonly called Juvenile Detention.
It's the parents who are usually legally liable (civilly and criminally) when children are involved in accidental shootings.

How could you not know this? Troll?
A different perspective.

Passing a skills and knowledge competency test doesn't ensure good judgment or a mature attitude.

Young teens take classes in how to drive and pass the tests but they aren't the most responsible drivers. There's a reason why their car insurance rates are more expensive.
We still let them drive, though. We don't say "no teen in the whole country is allowed to drive", we say "get insurance" and let the market dictate availability.

Parents could have their child on their own Self Defense Insurance.

How many of them drew a concealed or open holstered gun that they were carrying? It looks like the majority of them were defending themselves in their homes. An admirable feat of course but not the same as carrying in public.
Your question was of their judgment. Of course my examples weren't of children carrying in public because right now children don't carry in public.

It's the parents who are usually legally liable (civilly and criminally) when children are involved in accidental shootings.
You'll notice those shootings occure in the home or car, not with a gun the child was carrying...because children can't carry in public right now. You forget to apply a consistent standard.

Instead of closing the forums again, you could just leave.

Well, looks as if we may have some of the same ones pop up in a new "Handle". I took a quick check of the ones from a few years back same old stuff new names. I sure miss the "Like" button.

We still let them drive, though. We don't say "no teen in the whole country is allowed to drive", we say "get insurance" and let the market dictate availability.
That doesn't negate my point that young people don't have the same level of mature judgment and behavior at 16 years than at 25 years.

Parents could have their child on their own Self Defense Insurance.
Anything's possible but I would say highly improbable and unrealistic.

Your question was of their judgment. Of course my examples weren't of children carrying in public because right now children don't carry in public.
Carrying is the topic of this thread.

You'll notice those shootings occure in the home or car, not with a gun the child was carrying...because children can't carry in public right now. You forget to apply a consistent standard.
Not at all. Your examples didn't support the premise that kids should be allowed to carry, which is what I was arguing against.

Re: #35

That doesn't negate my point that young people don't have the same level of mature judgment and behavior at 16 years than at 25 years.
We don't use maturity and judgment as standards in the first place, so the fact that children have less of those atributes does not matter.

Not at all. Your examples didn't support the premise that kids should be allowed to carry, which is what I was arguing against.
Yes they did.

We don't use maturity and judgment as standards in the first place, so the fact that children have less of those atributes does not matter.

Yes they did.
Just to know where you're coming from, how old are you?

I live in Mesa. If you are in South Scottsdale, keep your head on a swivel; be situationally very aware to keep from being jumped by someone who targets you just to get your sidearm. In the rest of the area, unless you're carrying an unusually large piece or are very ostentatious most people won't notice or care. A few people (including police officers) might be concerned simply because of the combination of your age and the carry. In some of the shopping centers (malls) you will be asked to disarm, out of consideration for other customers and you then must comply. Better is to not go open carry in those places, because if they have too many requests to disarm they may decide to post the area and prohibit even concealed carry for everyone.
Bottom line: AZ is a very gun-friendly state. Be discreet, polite, and as you said, maintain a clean-cut appearance and you will have very little trouble - except in those few "progressive" democrat areas, which unfortunately include some areas of Scottsdale and the area around the University in Tempe. When dealing with police officers, they have a legal right to take possession until they break contact with you. Be very respectful and compliant and you will have no trouble. The following link may be helpful: AZ CCW Permit » Blog Archive » Handgun Carry in Arizona between the age of 18 and 21 years of age.

Thanks, this is the exact answer I was looking for. I plan on using a multi level retention holster and not carrying in crowded areas such as shopping malls, or with a high "anti-gun" population, like you said. That's a good point about being jumped instead of somebody simply trying to grab it and run away. I also understand why police officers would be wary, but I hold the utmost respect for our law enforcement and always try to remain polite and composed. Also, I plan on asking them to take possession of it just to defuse the situation. Being that we live in Arizona where so many nut cases could be carrying concealed, I feel that being able to adequately protect myself is a justifiable trade off to needing to explain myself to law enforcement.

Have you seen what a big dude can do to a small teen?

The gun would belong to the big dude.

That's a surprisingly ignorant statement. I've fought in MMA for years, and have seen "small guys" absolutely kick ass when placed in matches against bigger guys. Also, I'm about the same size as the average adult man, but with much more muscle mass, so will you extend that to say that most men shouldn't carry either, based on size?

During my tour of duty I led about 50 troops, before my admin assignment pushed me up to battalion, where I worked for the Colonel (a Lt.Col) as his adjutant.

I noticed there is no difference between teens and teens in uniform. They need guidance and supervision as much or more so than high school or college kids. Age 25 seems to be magical in that suddenly they become grown-up's and by then they are sergeants and also stand watch with their own 45ACP.

Teens and guns are not a good fit in my experience.

Once in college 2 of my roommates who were under 21 almost got into a gunfight over a girl. Sheesh!

You're right, there is a difference. However, you should avoid making a blanket statement about all teenagers without knowing anything about my values or how I compare to your view of teenagers. I have a family military history and am actually working on a congressional recommendation to apply to one of our military academies, but hopefully I'll be able to stay out of gunfights for a few more years.

I agree with what everyone is saying about instruction and knowledge not being strongly correlated to responsibility and discretion, and most 18 year olds I know should not be carrying guns. Yes, not all, but most. Alcohol misuse, saggy pants, poor judgment and temper/testosterone issues are never a good mix when deadly weapons are involved. HOWEVER, I don't apply to any of those descriptions, and this thread is supposed to be about smart carrying for RESPONSIBLE teenagers, not arguing over whether most are, or whether it's appropriate for toddlers to carry guns. I'm sure all of us here would even agree that AT LEAST 75% of teens should not carry, and in fact a very large percentage of adults should not carry. To all of you arguing over gross over generalizations, let's save that for another thread.

At the end of the day, nobody is proving anything by pursuing petty arguments, so let's just keep this contained and limited to responsible teenagers and gun owners, with the key word being responsible.

At the end of the day, nobody is proving anything by pursuing petty arguments, so let's just keep this contained and limited to responsible teenagers and gun owners, with the key word being responsible.

Yeah, good luck with that...[emoji6]

YES I DID.
Been a while.
As you can imagin I didn't just discover the internet. Is it possible that this is not my first forum experience? Is it possible that you could join a forum today and get a taste of the membership culture today?

I admit that maybe you can't, that maybe it does take you a few months and/or several hundred posts to determin such, and so you think it takes me that long as well.

But I don't know you, so I refrain from making that judgment.

For all I know, those whom I've identified as troll...this is their first forum experience. That's why they make snotty comments and are shocked when I retort and even out-snot them. Millennials, I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back