Is open carry smart, depending on location?

What about teens in uniform?

During my tour of duty I led about 50 troops, before my admin assignment pushed me up to battalion, where I worked for the Colonel (a Lt.Col) as his adjutant.

I noticed there is no difference between teens and teens in uniform. They need guidance and supervision as much or more so than high school or college kids. Age 25 seems to be magical in that suddenly they become grown-up's and by then they are sergeants and also stand watch with their own 45ACP.

Teens and guns are not a good fit in my experience.

Once in college 2 of my roommates who were under 21 almost got into a gunfight over a girl. Sheesh!

Age 25 seems to be magical in that suddenly they become grown-up's and by then they are sergeants and also stand watch with their own 45ACP.

Yeah, but unicorns farting butterflies starts around age 18. There's a magical counter to every magical argument. :lol:

Once in college 2 of my roommates who were under 21 almost got into a gunfight over a girl. Sheesh!

Here's a hint: "Anecdote" and "data" are not synonyms.

Blues

Hi everyone, hoping to get some knowledgeable advice. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona, and am considering open carry, as I am not yet old enough to conceal carry. Just to get this out of the way, I'll be 18 within the next few months, and plan on taking extensive firearms training and safety courses. I don't want a firearm in order to project myself or appear "tough" or show off. Merely because it is my right, it would make it easier to protect my girlfriend when I am out with her, and because I believe in responsible gun ownership. For those living out of state, Arizona allows 18-21 to open carry without a permit and 21+ to conceal carry.

My question is, for those living in the Phoenix area, will open carry be received well, or am I likely to be harassed by those who don't share our view of guns? I'm well aware that carrying concealed is usually the preferred choice, but that option isn't available to me. Also, I know image plays a large part in how you're perceived; I always have a clean cut appearance and take pride in making a good impression, so looking intimidating or "sketchy" won't be an issue. Thank you to anyone who can provide some insight and help me reach a decision.

Question for you son, what have you noticed in your neighborhood? Are there other people open carrying? If so, how do the non-carriers react when they see a gun on a person.

You live in a constitutional carry state and I would think the people are used to open-carry of guns by now.

I live in Arizona too, open carry in July at 107 degrees is ok. What you have trained with and feel confident with. In Walmart on a Sunday with all the shoppers more couples are seen open carry, or at least in my area. I love it.

Yeah, but unicorns farting butterflies starts around age 18. There's a magical counter to every magical argument. :lol:

Here's a hint: "Anecdote" and "data" are not synonyms.

Blues

Teens fart butterflies all the way up to about age 25, as I have already pointed out.

Teens fart butterflies all the way up to about age 25, as I have already pointed out.

Rather than sticking with your "magical" meme to make the point that 18 - 24 year olds should have their rights restricted by the same government the Second Amendment was written to prohibit from doing so, maybe you could provide some data to support your position. Or, and I think this is more likely the case, maybe you can't.

Blues

Where I grew up the farm kids were driving small tractors and shooting bb guns by 10 years old and driving farm trucks and bigger stuff before they had learner permits. Shooting started around the same time. They didn't have their hands held and need soothing from the bang sound. If they effed up they'd have to answer to their dads, so nobody effed up. Shooting was a summer past time, but we didn't eff around. Town kids even had bb guns back in the day and got their asses beat if they shot out a neighbor's window. Where I grew up, not much has changed except there are fewer family farms. I don't know where you grew up or where your pool of teenagers-25 year olds comes from but they'd get a serious schooling from the youngsters I know.

In terms of public and individual safety you need to draw the line somewhere.

So where do you want to draw it?

At age 5 ?
10?
15?
20?
25?

It is generally now drawn at 21 for handguns (pistols and revolvers).

25 would make more sense based on the biology which we now understand.

Moses drew the line at 20 for military service. But that was 25 centuries ago. And he did not have the benefit of biological science.

In terms of public and individual safety you need to draw the line somewhere.

So where do you want to draw it?
Age is not the instrument you want to draw that line with as age is no indicator of compitancy or responsibility.

Many states already have permit classes. Anyone who can pass the class should be allowed to carry, regardles of age.

Age is not the instrument you want to draw that line with as age is no indicator of compitancy or responsibility.

Many states already have permit classes. Anyone who can pass the class should be allowed to carry, regardles of age.

Brilliant!

Then let's let 3 year olds carry loaded guns with them.

Brilliant!

Then let's let 3 year olds carry loaded guns with them.
Show me the 3 y/o that can pass the class and I'll buy them a gun myself.

You rule out the 3 year old because 3 year olds can't typicaly 1. demonstrate knowledge of the law, 2. demonstrate safe handeling, 3. demonstrate basic proficiancy.

I know 30 year olds who can't do that. So show me the 3 year old who CAN and I'm fine with it.

Just passing a class isn't an indicator of competency or responsibility either. It's an indicator that you've been given instruction and passed a test, that's all. It's not an indicator of responsible maturity.

There are some highly skilled kids on the gun ranges. However, do they have mature discernment for knowing when to draw a gun away from the range?

Age is also a factor in legal liability. Persons under a certain age can't be held legally liable for their actions.

Just passing a class isn't an indicator of competency or responsibility either.
That would depend on the class.

It's an indicator that you've been given instruction and passed a test, that's all.
If the test is for competency, and you pass, you are therefore competent. That's what passing the test means and you can give others proof of your competency by giving them an official certificate from the instructor (we do this as part of most permit aplications, btw).

There are some highly skilled kids on the gun ranges. However, do they have mature discernment for knowing when to draw a gun away from the range?
Yes. Kids Using Guns to Defend Themselves - Examples

Age is also a factor in legal liability. Persons under a certain age can't be held legally liable for their actions.
Of course they can be, we even have an entire branch of the Judicial systom dedicated to Juvenile Court. AND we have a prison systom commonly called Juvenile Detention.

How could you not know this? Troll?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back