Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

I agree with Treo! I have never heard of a law in Colorado that says you must notify. I have a friend that is a Sarge in Platteville and a son on the force for 16 years in Ft. Morgan. I don't believe that there is a cop in Colorado that would hassle you over your weapon.

I agree with Treo! I have never heard of a law in Colorado that says you must notify. I have a friend that is a Sarge in Platteville and a son on the force for 16 years in Ft. Morgan. I don't believe that there is a cop in Colorado that would hassle you over your weapon.

Especially if they don't know about it.

I ran into one but he committed suicide a year ago

"I live in NC. As stated before we are obligated to inform the LEO......never know when you have a gung ho officer on your hands. When I advise of my CCW and that I am armed I have complied with statute."

huh?

FWIW Mississippi doesn't require notification

MISSISSIPPI CODE
SEC. 45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi. I have been carrying for about ten years now (in Mississippi) and also agree that that permit holders are usually some of the most law abiding. That is not the point I am trying to make, the point is allowing the LEO the most information that would help with the person they are about to face. I am not saying the info should be intrusive (with regard) to anyone’s rights; but having the knowledge that the person the LEO is about to face (whether they are law abiding or not) has a firearm on their person or in their vehicle is information I would want (if I were an LEO). Yes, most all permit holders are actually the most law-abiding, safest, citizens, but not all are (just as with any other group of people). In Mississippi, the dispatcher will know that the owner has a permit as soon as they run the tag (on the vehicle)and so, informs the LEO. Running your ID also informs them. If you don't want to be fined, you inform them. I am actually surprised at the hostility towards the idea of informing the LEO; it does nothing to your privacy and everything to do with the safety of the LEO.

MISSISSIPPI CODE

(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi. .

Yes it does. It is not required to inform....unless asked to see it.

MISSISSIPPI CODE

Do the words upon demand mean anything to you?

The above should answer everybody’s comments on whether or not an individual must inform LEO’s in Mississippi.

It most certainly does you're not required to notify

In Mississippi, the dispatcher will know that the owner has a permit as soon as they run the tag (on the vehicle)and so, informs the LEO. Running your ID also informs them. If you don't want to be fined, you inform them.

W/ all due respect given your track record up to this point I'd guess most of the above is dead wrong . I know the part about the fine is

how many states actually have a notification 'statute'??

9 states require you to notify the LEO.
Contrary to popular myth Mississippi is not among them.

Those states are AK,LA,MI,NE,NC,OH,OK,SC,and TX,TMK. Any recent changes?

I'm in california and would not notify.Nor am i required to.But if asked then i tell them.Of all states i'm quite surprised we here are not required to notify.

Besides,in the county im in most police are not familiar with conceal carry or even know they exist so not an issue.

Do the words upon demand mean anything to you?
It most certainly does you're not required to notify
W/ all due respect given your track record up to this point I'd guess most of the above is dead wrong . I know the part about the fine is
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy.The Dispatch (in Ms) will know, as the Ms Highway Patrol hands out the Permit applications, receives the paperwork, money, and creates the ACTUAL Permits. Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong? That is copied from Ms State law, as it applies to gun permits. I do admit it is outdated, and you can find the most recent printing of it (July 2010) by searching (Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing). As for my track record; what track record? The only item that is not agreed on is the interpretation of the "Letter of the law". When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth? They demand your ID. All other items you disagree with are personal opinions. That is what this site allows; the civil debate on personal opinions, which hopefully you, or I, may learn something new, and/or see from another perspective. Your sarcasm in the personal note does none of this. All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO (that has pulled them/their vehicle over for a perceived illegal issue) that they are carrying a gun. Whether you believe me or not, (in Ms) when dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID, because the Highway Patrol (under the Ms Dept of Public Safety) conducts the background check, takes the fingerprints, takes your photo, and hands you (if renewing) your permit.
FYI; Synonyms for Demand; Insist, Order, Require, Request. I apologize to everyone (else); I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law, which I placed in my previous post and stated that in Ms you must inform the LEO. The letter of the law is vague, in that it does not state what the LEO is demanding. If he/she is demanding the permit, (then one must show their ID with it) and I am wrong, but if the LEO is demanding the ID, (then one must show their permit with it) and I am right. As the law states, BOTH shall be shown if the one is demanded. All of this, everything I have written concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.

Technically NOT required to notify that you are carrying in SC. You ARE requried to present your Concealed Weapons Permit if you are carrying; but you are not required in any way to discuss whether you are carrying, what you are carrying, where you are carrying, etc. For all the officer knows you presented your permit in hopes of getting a warning instead of a ticket.

I've posted all the lorid details in other threads. Note in the actual language of the law, below, that you must inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit. As I've mentioned before, since you are only required to present inform that are are a permit holder and present the permit, this is essentially a nice, private way of informing the officer you are carrying.

Link Removed

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

Technically NOT required to notify that you are carrying in SC. You ARE required to present your Concealed Weapons Permit if you are carrying; but you are not required in any way to discuss whether you are carrying, what you are carrying, where you are carrying, etc. For all the officer knows you presented your permit in hopes of getting a warning instead of a ticket.

I've posted all the lurid details in other threads. Note in the actual language of the law, below, that you must inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit. As I've mentioned before, since you are only required to present inform that you are a permit holder and present the permit, this is essentially a nice, private way of informing the officer you are carrying.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy.The Dispatch (in Ms) will know, as the Ms Highway Patrol hands out the Permit applications, receives the paperwork, money, and creates the ACTUAL Permits. Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong? That is copied from Ms State law, as it applies to gun permits. I do admit it is outdated, and you can find the most recent printing of it (July 2010) by searching (Google, Yahoo, Ask, Bing). As for my track record; what track record? The only item that is not agreed on is the interpretation of the "Letter of the law". When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth? They demand your ID. All other items you disagree with are personal opinions. That is what this site allows; the civil debate on personal opinions, which hopefully you, or I, may learn something new, and/or see from another perspective. Your sarcasm in the personal note does none of this. All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO (that has pulled them/their vehicle over for a perceived illegal issue) that they are carrying a gun. Whether you believe me or not, (in Ms) when dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID, because the Highway Patrol (under the Ms Dept of Public Safety) conducts the background check, takes the fingerprints, takes your photo, and hands you (if renewing) your permit.
FYI; Synonyms for Demand; Insist, Order, Require, Request. I apologize to everyone (else); I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law, which I placed in my previous post and stated that in Ms you must inform the LEO. The letter of the law is vague, in that it does not state what the LEO is demanding. If he/she is demanding the permit, (then one must show their ID with it) and I am wrong, but if the LEO is demanding the ID, (then one must show their permit with it) and I am right. As the law states, BOTH shall be shown if the one is demanded. All of this, everything I have written concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.
The law is about the CCW permit.
That law says that if the CCW is demanded, you must also provide ID. It doesn't say if ID or a Drivers License is demanded, that you have to produce your CCW Permit. That quoted law only applies to the CCW License being demanded. Very clear to me. Islander's copy of SC's law is how MS should have written theirs if they wanted it shown any time ID was requested.

I wish all states would just agree on one way and be done with it. I have to remember which state I'm in as to whether the cops want to see it or would rather not know if you have one. And I do agree it would be better if the cops didn't get so nervous in some states knowing that you have a gun and permit. Then everyone could just hand the CCW and Drivers License over and all would be good. FL Keys LEO that taught our class said that they just assume that you are armed all the time and plan accordingly.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.Thanks for the underlined sarcastic "Personal Note" big guy. <-SNIP->concerning LEO's and informing them that I am carrying a gun (if/when I am pulled over) is due to the respect that I show them, and that I believe they deserve and should be shown.

A paragraph (from the Greek paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. Paragraphs consist of one or more sentences

I’m not even sure where to begin w/ this mess. Dude a topic sentence and a two or three lines supporting it pa-lease

Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong?
Because if you aren’t required to notify (and you aren’t) you can’t be fined for not doing so.

As for my track record; what track record?
You haven’t posted a correct fact (that I’m aware of) in this thread yet

When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth?
In Colorado it’s “Good morning/day/ evening. I’m Officer so and so of the Colorado State Patrol. I pulled you over because ----- “

All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO
I have no intention of debating this issue w/ you

When dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID,

May or may not be true in Mississippi, definitely is not true in Colorado

I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law,
You did

Absolutely

Any time I am asked by a Law Enforcement for identification, I always produce my License and Carry Permit. Even if I am not carrying at the moment, I consider it a courtesy to the office and a sign of respect for his authority and right to know that I may be carrying.

I’m not even sure where to begin w/ this mess. Dude a topic sentence and a two or three lines supporting it pa-lease
Why do you say the part about the fine is wrong?
Because if you aren’t required to notify (and you aren’t) you can’t be fined for not doing so.
As for my track record; what track record?
You haven’t posted a correct fact (that I’m aware of) in this thread yet
When an LEO pulls your vehicle over, walks up to you in it, what is the first words out of his/her mouth?
In Colorado it’s “Good morning/day/ evening. I’m Officer so and so of the Colorado State Patrol. I pulled you over because ----- “
All because I believe that all permit holders should inform the LEO
I have no intention of debating this issue w/ you

When dispatch runs your vehicle, they will see you have a permit; same as when they run your ID,

May or may not be true in Mississippi, definitely is not true in Colorado
I may have misinterpreted the letter of the law,
You did

I apologize for everyone else on this site for veering off topic, and I do not want to be kicked off because of someone that cannot or will not hold his/her tongue; so this is the final comment I will make in this thread. Mister/Miss, you have issues, and apparently one of them is hiding behind a keyboard. The fact that I interpret Ms Gun law (as it is read by me) differently and respect LEO’s (for the most part) should give you no reason to slander and/or trash me (or the way I communicate on-line). I may only have an AAS (Associates in Applied Science) with a 3.97 GPA, but to my knowledge there are no rules preventing someone with an education that is obviously lacking (and not up to your high standards) from posting. My intent was/is to give information as I understand it and should not have to worry that whoever disagrees with me will attack me and my writing abilities. One of your whines was about paragraphing. You cannot paragraph in these posts; you can only fake it by skipping lines. The only fact that is up for debate is the “informing the LEO” statement. It is easy for people to hide behind keyboards so they can point their fingers and call people liars when they are without any facts or information. You, little man (or woman) need to grow up a bit more before you come out and play.

Hey Hunter Lee: Last reply was very well-said and shame on those who do exactly what this gentleman is riled about. We all have an interest in understanding all there is to know about CC, CCWs and all aspects of firearms and defense and there are many opinions. Some members just cannot or will not appreciate that denigrating comments do not help anyone, and make you out as a big joke and, IMO, unfit to even have a CCWP; if you get mad at a bunch of words spoken on a forum designed for many ideas, heaven knows how you act on the street with a firearm within reach. If you do not like my comments, kindly say so and explain but do not impugn my intelligence or opinions.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back