I mildly brandished last night

Cotillion

I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.

Carry all of the time.

I thought i would share my first experience with my firearm. It's not an action packed story but it did the job and I'm thankful it didn't escalate.

The wife and I typically walk to the grocery shore instead of driving to fight the flab. The store is about 3/4 a mile away and I usually walk it several times a day. We have never had a problem, and being from a small country town I never expected one either. Population is like 2600 or something small, but we are just outside a larger city filled with tweakers. Anyway we were checking out at the register and I looked over and saw several trashy looking guys, 4 total I think staring at us through the front of the store, which made me a little nervous since I use a money clip so it was obvious I had a few hundred on me. I always try and avoid these situations so as we walked out instead of going left where they were loitering I told my wife to walk straight out before going left on the sidewalk. Once we got to the sidewalk however I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they appeared to be headed our way. My wife is a natural speedwalker so I figured we would just out walk them.

About a 1/3rd of the way home my wife glanced back and then asked if I was carrying my gun. This shocked me as my wife is one of those it wont happen to me people, especially in my town. I of course was packing, however instead of it being in my wallet holster I was Mexican carrying it in the sob position. I Mexican carry around the house unchambered as an added security measure for my daughter. She couldn't rack the slide if her life depended on it, so it just adds some extra comfort knowing that. So we are about 2/3 the way home when I noticed they stopped talking or started wispering making me VERY nervous so I asked my wife to be as quiet as possible. They were VERY close now and I knew I still needed to chamber a round. I asked my wife how she wanted to handle it and she said do what you gotta do so I very gently lifted my hooded sweatshirt up from the front so it would rise up in the back revealing my gun. Not 10 steps go by before I turn for a peak and they did a complete u turn hightailing it out of there. The fact that there was 4 of them, all probably smacked out on dope meant it was going to end badly if I let it continue and now thankfully my wife 100% understands why I carry and loves it. We had some good loving after dinner!

I know its not a huge climatic story but I just wanted to share. It doesn't matter where you live, there's drugs in EVERY town and people willing to do what it takes to get them. I live across the street from the only gas station in town where I talk to the local LEO a lot and I relayed the story to him. He said I handled it very well in that I didn't flash it threateningly ( eye contact or use of words ) but I made a mistake by not just calling the cops while I was walking. That is one thing I definately need to work on. My thoughts were more around how fast can I get my gun, cock and fire and at who first. I usually always carry one in the chamber but I didn't take that extra minute to grab my holster. I hope everyone here carries with a round ready and a good holster. It saves lives.

Glad it ended well for you...and thank you for advocating the regular use of a holster. Might I add that the holster should cover the trigger so this doesn't happen to you...

Link Removed

You know, I have read a few things like this, and I always wonder, is this a male/female thing? I can only imagine the first thing I would have done was get on my cell, call the cops, and quite loudly said something like "Yeah, there's these guys following me way to close, making me really uncomfortable, and the last thing I want to do is have to shoot somebody." But I'm kind of obnoxious that way.

Frankly, I think this was the best outcome. The display of weapons in a non-menacing way is highly underrated. And as much as people say "If you're going to draw, you shoot," just about everyone involved is going to be much happier if any conflict ends without bullets flying.

If you exposed your weapon, while "they were VERY close", and then waited to PEEK back after ten steps. What was stopping them from lunging at you and taking your gun? What is with this site lately? OH now Iknow...It was just a full moon...Lots of loonies out and about. I think I will start carrying ALL OF MY PISTOLS, AND MY 870 just in case. They all fit nicely under my trench coat.

If you exposed your weapon, while "they were VERY close", and then waited to PEEK back after ten steps. What was stopping them from lunging at you and taking your gun? What is with this site lately? OH now Iknow...It was just a full moon...Lots of loonies out and about. I think I will start carrying ALL OF MY PISTOLS, AND MY 870 just in case. They all fit nicely under my trench coat.

I'm thinking 'very' close may be relative. Sounds to me like if they were going to rush him, he may just have been able to hear them and not taken the 10 steps before he took other action.

Calling the cops with the proximity of the drug crazed fiends would have only taken your mind off the possible imminent danger.

Although I am not one to advocate my gun being my first move, I would also not call the law in that situation until it was over. I may though have told my wife to start walking faster ahead of me and gave her a buffer zone.

It's easy to sit here and think about it after you have some time. It does give you food for thought which may make you ready'er than if you never thought about it.

KK

It is estimated that a firearm is used over 2 million times per year to stop a crime, a shot being discharged less than 8% of the time. You fall right into that stat nicely.

I think it was a good move. You can't call the cops at every bad glance or scary looking dude. That was a real world situation and it worked out.

I feel you did the right thing by not drawing the handgun, I sure would get a quality holster and I would keep a round chambered.
You really have to be careful when people see a firearm, in my case the guy made a formal complaint that I had pointed my handgun at him, this never happened. But on his word alone I was arrested in Tulsa, Oklahoma Our District Attorney charged me with a felony took about a year to get to trial I was found not guilty. But it cost me around $2000 Attorney costs and a year of going to court each Month eight times. And being out on bond all these Months.
Just take my advice be careful how you handle things, sometimes it just don't work correctly for you.

I'm thinking if you don't carry with one in the chamber you might as well have a brick. Seven paces is about 21ft, takes 1.5 seconds to cover that distance. Can you retrieve, chamber a round and fire a shot accurately if needed in less than 1.5 seconds? I didn't think so...

SMH

titaniumman:243656 said:

I didn't want to expose it and look back right away as it might have been taken as a threat. They were still at a distance where they would have made some noise to rush me right before I exposed it, but yes it was a close call. I'm not sure and ill never know their intent, it could have been wanting to rob me, just simply rough someone up or maybe just to scope my house. Thanks everyone for the positive posts, I'm glad there's like minded people to share our stories with. It's amazing sometimes how things fall into place, like it just so happened I wasn't carrying it in my pocket. I'm going shopping soon to try and find a nice small iwb holster.

HueMan:243673 said:
I'm thinking if you don't carry with one in the chamber you might as well have a brick. Seven paces is about 21ft, takes 1.5 seconds to cover that distance. Can you retrieve, chamber a round and fire a shot accurately if needed in less than 1.5 seconds? I didn't think so...

SMH

I completely agree. That was running through my head at the time also. As long as you have a quality holster covering the trigger there's no reason to not have a round chambered. Thankfully I learned my lesson without incident

It worked out the best for and thats what's the most important. In the future I would call the police when you first perceive the threat. That way the police can be on the way just in case you draw and fire your gun. I agree with the theory that you cant depend on the police so you must responsibly take your defense in you own hands.
I had to draw my firearm one day after someone confronted me in the parking lot of a movie theater. They claimed I cut them off in a parking lot, or something. A case of road, or parking lot rage in this case. I had my wife and kids with me. I presented my gun in a modified ready position. It was pressed closely to my chest with the barrel pointed down. I positioned myself between the threat and my family. I saw them get out of the car and make a direct trot my way. I had an idea what was coming. I'm also a police officer so I had my badge in the other hand. As soon as they saw my gun and badge it changed their attitude immediately.
The point I make is that you handled the situation right because it had a positive outcome. In the future I would draw it completely, and have it ready in case you need to use, not just flash it. If you feel threatened enough to flash it then draw it.

Great job! You kept your cool and handled four potential felons by a peek-a-boo of your gun. No other civilians were scared and sent running to panic LEOs on 911. Also, you learned several things from the incident and will do it better next time. All-in-all, a gold star!

I personally have a problem not facing my attackers. I would have also tried to outwalk/outdistance them, but after it was obvious that they were going to close and an attack was imminent, I would have tried 911, if time permitted, warning the operator I was armed. Time not permitting, I have had luck with drawing my firearm but not pointing it (it is single action, so carried Condition 1), holding it behind my thigh with arm dropped naturally, and facing my attackers. I usually use a phrase something to the effect of, "I consider what you're doing assault. If you continue to approach, I'll be forced to defend myself, possibly with deadly force. Turn around and go." I have a disability that does not allow me to flee, so I cannot choose flight in the typical fight-or-flight scenario, seriously limiting my options. In five similar scenarios, all of them have chosen not to die and have left the scene, and me, unharmed. One guy started to approach out of a group of three once and I raised my gun and said, "A volunteer to die first" as I flicked the safety off and went to the trigger. He stopped and they all decided against attacking.

Showing the gun is always a good deterrent in this type of situation and you should have a good plan, including 911 if you have time. Also, anyone should avoid the Hollywood movie cliche lines when facing criminals - they sound absolutely stupid when repeated by witnesses to police, reporters to the public, prosecutors to judges, and detectives to the State Attorney General. A Bluetooth headset can allow you to make a call to 911 without touching your phone or alerting the BGs, also leaving both hands free. Bluetooth headsets used to be expensive, but I have seen some on sale for $29 and almost every cell phone is Bluetooth-capable now. Cotillion covered holsters and chambered rounds, just make sure you're comfortable with both. Holsters can be comfortable, just keep trying different ones until you find one you can wear all day! Or try a company like Stoner Holster that makes holsters from several different companies and also creates custom rigs.

Seriously happy we didn't have two more victims! :D

Most such encounters are handled poorly due to lack of forethought and mental preparation. The ones that end well are due more to luck than anything else. I'm certainly glad you and the Mrs fared well and hopefully this incident has made you realize how poorly prepared to handle it you actually were.

First off...."We had some good loving after dinner!" CONGRATS!!!! and quit bragging LOL....I'm very happy it worked out well for you on all accounts. Getting home safe is the key! I think you did the correct thing. As with all stories, sitting in front of the computer reviewing your story, it's easy to come up with formulated plans and other ways to handle it, when 4 "thugs" are following you and your wife all your thinking about is how to escape safely, which you accomplished....Nice work!

I'm thinking maybe start carrying a wallet as well as a holster.... or maybe just less cash. This situation worked out this time but there were several things you could have done to prevent the situation.

I'm glad all ended well for you, For me?, I wouldnt have exposed my firearm with 4 men behind me, not knowing excatly where they where?

Fortunately the OP had some time to think through a considered plan of action. I'm told it usually doesn't work out that way, response time-wise.

Another fortunate aspect, the OP has seen some ways in which he could have been better prepared for the "incident". (Like having a round "in the tube".)

All in all, another survivor story rather than a victim story. ALWAYS a "plus".

Still, and I believe "localgirl" first mentioned this on another thread: In these "incidents" the surprise element is on you.... the BG(s) have already made their "plan"/"move". As such, it is best to have an immediate action drill trained into your psyche and, if time warrents or allows, a response taylored to the exact situation as it develops, as in the case of our OP.

Good job. Glad you remain safe.

GG

Shawn Jarman:243705 said:
I'm glad all ended well for you, For me?, I wouldnt have exposed my firearm with 4 men behind me, not knowing excatly where they where?

I knew they were not close enough to simply grab, and a lunge would most likely have alerted me noise and or motion wise. Your senses are pretty high during these types of scenarios. Obviously there are errors in what I did and like what was previously stated I'm very lucky I had time to think and react as normally these things happen suddenly. The more I think about it I'm pretty sure they were waiting for either us to turn onto my street with less traffic or to scope my house. Either way I'm really lucky a peek of my gun told them I'm not going to roll over, which is what BGs prey off of, but hopefully this experience will help not only me but people reading it in not slacking off and get comfortable. It's very easy to run to the store or the gas station and leave your gun at home, or ln my case not chambered and have it be that 1 time you actually need it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back