How to keep cool and remain calm..

jhon

I am looking for opinions and experiences here.

How does one train for to keep their emotions in check in order to remain calm and cool in a bad situation? Then trying at the same time trying to keep a bad situation from escalating to a SHTF situation?

Are there any DVDs or videos on how to do this? I know there are some that during there specific training exercises, were taught this and obviously those that have been in combat or shooting incidents have learned from their experiences.

But what about the people that have never been in those kind of stressful areas?

Any ideas, opinions, etc?

Thanks

Training, training, training. It has to be a muscle reflex. I can only speak from another aspect of training (motorcycle safety) but I see some of the concepts being the same. When the SHTF and you have no time to really think and only react the training kicks in. That's the muscle memory of training. It can be applying a brake on a motorcycle, or drawing a weapon and bringing a proper sight picture. Training. Practice and more practice so that it becomes a smooth motion.
Just my $.63 (inflation)

As former LE/ SWAT skip the videos, books etc. Train hard and train often. Plan for thewhat if's everytime you drive down the road, sit in a restaurant, etc (called the what if game) plan smart and plan ahead- especially if you carry! As far as breathing learn about "tactical breathing" and practice it constantly it has many uses even when tryingto talk to the wife! LOL. Good luck. Good topic!

I don't know if there is really a solid answer to the original question.
The very first time that I ever faced any kind of serious threat from thugs was back in 1986 when I was robbed at both knife point & gun point by two guys who came into my uncles liquor store in Lake Elsinore, CA. (I was only 17 yrs old at the time).
Even though I had quick access to a firearm at that moment, I completely froze in both disbelief and fear.
By the time my brain had registered that I should use the handgun to defend myself it was far too late for me to do anything because the dude with the knife was allready upon me with the knife to my neck.
I ended up being robbed and unable to defend myself. I was so afraid because I thought for sure that I was going to be shot or stabbed.
Luckily for me the two robbers didn't decide to hurt me in any way and they just ended up taking off with some money from the cash register and some booze from the shelves.
For me, I think that it was that bad experience of being victimized that helped to better prepare me to defend myself in future situations.
I later joined the military and I also did security work for many years as well, so I have also had the benefit of some training.

OP is asking about training for the emotional response...not the physical movement. While they relate to each other, there is an abundance of training options for the physical aspect (sight picture, movement, trigger control, breathing, etc), is there anything out there for the emotional response?

DVD's and videos ain't going to cut it.

Training, training, training .......... just like the guys above me said.

Stress Inoculation

If you can find it, then try to get involved with Force on Force training - either with Simunitions, or C02 pistols. This will allow to you practice in a stressful, dynamic environment. It has been proven over and over that we revert back to our level of training during times of stress. Practicing in as stressful environment as we can immerse ourselves will only benefit you when the SHTF.

Also, read up and start practicing tactical breathing. More at:

Link Removed

Take care.

-Robert

Having been robbed twice several years ago, I stayed very calm, maybe 25+ years of being a paramedic and knowing if you are not calm neither is the injured person. I manage to stay very calm in most all cases.

Training for the SHTF situation

How does one train for to keep their emotions in check in order to remain calm and cool in a bad situation? Then trying at the same time trying to keep a bad situation from escalating to a SHTF situation?

Are there any DVDs or videos on how to do this? I know there are some that during there specific training exercises, were taught this and obviously those that have been in combat or shooting incidents have learned from their experiences.

But what about the people that have never been in those kind of stressful areas?

Thanks

It's incredibly difficult to keep yourself calm and focused under duress. The massive amounts of adrenaline pumping through your system can cause all kinds of havoc on your normal responses ... from tunnel vision to muscles trembling, makes you wonder if you will be a mess when the SHTF.

My instructors for my CCW class (LEO or former LEOs) encouraged us to participate in IDPA or IPSC events. They said that it is the best kind of training you can get aside from real life experience of violent confrontations. You are firing under pressure, your adrenaline is pumping, there are unknowns that may throw you off, you often have to change physical and tactical positions to fit the situation, etc.

I am also a firm believer in psychological preparation (aka visualization) and the value of muscle memory from my years in sports training. The more practice you have, the less time you have to spend thinking about what your response will be and how to direct your body parts.

Good luck!

IDPA & IPSC isn't training it's gaming and under stress you'll do what you've practiced the most, good habit or bad. The tactics that win games can get you killed in the real world. Just saying.

Experienced LEO, EMS and MIL have the advantage as most have already seen the elephant and had to deal with it before

Scenario based training. Agree with everyone who says training, understanding your body's reaction to stress, train with physical stress, potential emotional stress. Good training for tactical situations includes scenarios that will get your body reacting, therefore you learning how your body reacts, tunnel vision, hearing deficiency, hands shaking, etc. Muscle memory, thought training, physical response with a plan on what you will do if you are injured, etc.

What ifs were covered above and is good scoop. Preplanning avoids thinking and thinking about it can get you hurt. As for emotional distress/trauma it is just something you will have to deal with. I have never gotten sick during problems and only centered my attention to the problems at hand. Afterwards I have thrown up several times. Nothing to be ashamed of--only those who have not experienced horrors will laugh at you. There is an old saying: be nice/curteous but plan on killing everyone you meet. I do not adhere to that extreme but do constantly try to be very aware of surroundings. Establish your circles and alert levels--and adhere to them.

One of the big things is that when the adrenaline kicks in you will get tunnel vision (understand that and make sure you have your head on a swivel).

Most folks will not get shaking hands until the event is over. I've seen many a man cry / shake once the event is over. We all have to deal with the excessive adrenaline once the body no longer needs it. (We all react somewhat differently)

As others say practice drawing, shooting. One thing that can help is run (get your heart rate and breathing rate elevated) to your shooting positions.
Shoot from behind objects
Dropping to knee and prone
Shoot partially sitting up
On your side
One handed (strong and weak hand)
Across your body.
As simple as it sounds, remember to breathe.
Commit your actions to memory and it will serve you well during an emergency.

Look this over

Thanks

Bottom line the only way to train not to freeze under stress is to be under stress and not to freeze.

I wish there was another way to say it but experience really is the only teacher.

IDPA & IPSC isn't training it's gaming and under stress you'll do what you've practiced the most, good habit or bad. The tactics that win games can get you killed in the real world. Just saying.

Experienced LEO, EMS and MIL have the advantage as most have already seen the elephant and had to deal with it before

While I don't disagree with you about tactics used to win games can get you killed in a real world situation, I am not sure there is a better way to really see if I am drawing, getting my sight picture and hitting the target accurately. I can dry fire at home. I go to the range, do push ups, jog a little, do some sit-ups and shoot on targets. Yet when it comes to seeing if what I have been working on is paying off, the clock and an IDPA target do fairly well. I also try to take a course every year from a reputable instructor to help work on some of the mechanics. Bad habits aren't hard to break. They can be hard to recognize though.
We do have a local instructor who does an airsoft training course. It is a 4 hour course on scenarios with the people in the class being BGs and GGs.
To the original question....
Train, train and more training. Oh, and BREATH!

As former LE/ SWAT skip the videos, books etc. Train hard and train often. Plan for thewhat if's everytime you drive down the road, sit in a restaurant, etc (called the what if game) plan smart and plan ahead- especially if you carry! As far as breathing learn about "tactical breathing" and practice it constantly it has many uses even when tryingto talk to the wife! LOL. Good luck. Good topic!
Welcome to this group/forum. You seem to be level headed.

You are looking for adrenal stress training. Getting used to and how to operate when under the effects of large amounts of adrenaline.

You must always be aware of your surroundings.

as many have said, TRAINING/PRACTICE is key.

I would add... play paintball, and
go hunting. With real country folk, not city folk. see how calm you can be.

As has been alluded to above, the training and visualization aspects matter the most.

The next thing to try to do is avoid the "startle reaction" that comes with being suddenly confronted by surprise threats to our lifes.

That's where projected thinking comes into effect. For instance, while driving, I am constantly on the alert for "bad situations" arising, either real or imagined. It's kind of like saying to yourself upon seeing another driver; "What is the most illogical and dangerous thing this driver can do to threaten me?", and make mental preparation for the worst case scenario actually taking place.

Not trying to claim that that attitude infallably works, but I have been accident free in over 50 years of driving, thus far. (Knock on wood.) Coincidence? Who knows?

Same toward personal encounters, to a certain extent.

Situational awareness counts. What you are aware of will not cause nearly the surprise factor that not being "aware" will cause. It's the "mental preparation" that makes the difference. Even the mental "practice" of it helps in overall readiness, even if nothing comes of it.

Paranoia and preparedness, cousins in concept.

GG

Working in a prison has been the best training ive had. Just remember, if its not an immediate "life or death" scenario..be nice until its time to not be, then be nice again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back