How OFten do u all practice ?

I shoot weekly. I do it as much for practice as for stress relief.

Usually I do muscle memory drills with my carry pistols, and then I poke at targets with my MKII for fun.

Getting a Mini 14 in the next week or so and will probably just spend a while getting comfortable with a rifle again. Then I'll add it to my weekly outing routine.

I usually go every other week, but sometime every week if time permits. I also shoot about 100 rds 150 at the most.

monthly

I train monthly whether I want to or not. If it raining so be it.

If it ain't raining...you ain't training!

I would encourage every member of this forum to shoot in rain/snow/sleet at least once because it changes things drastically.

I was shooting every week for about two months, but have tapered off to every other weekend now. Generally shoot 150 to 200 rounds when I go, practicing as many different ways of shooting as I can think of for potential encounters.

I train monthly whether I want to or not. If it raining so be it.

If it ain't raining...you ain't training!

I would encourage every member of this forum to shoot in rain/snow/sleet at least once because it changes things drastically.

How do you accomplish that in an indoor raNGE? the one you go to must REALLY be fancy! LOL!!

I built my own range on my land
Link Removed
Link Removed

My son and I just purchased 20 acres in the boonies and building my own range is one of my first priorities. I'm quite pumped about it. There is a huge barn on the farmstead which I'm thinking of converting into an indoor range (our winters are quite long and cold, here). We should close on the property at the end of June, so the lead should be flying forthwith! Any pointers or helpful tips are appreciated (like what to use as a backstop to catch the lead in the barn).

I practice usually once a week with my primary. I usually spend between 100 and 150 rounds. Ive been enjoying the art of reloading for about 3 months which is saving me a ton of money.

I like to practice with the pistol close to my torso (simulating a late nite in my home). I also like to practice in the dark with a flashlight.

My son and I just purchased 20 acres in the boonies and building my own range is one of my first priorities. I'm quite pumped about it. There is a huge barn on the farmstead which I'm thinking of converting into an indoor range (our winters are quite long and cold, here). We should close on the property at the end of June, so the lead should be flying forthwith! Any pointers or helpful tips are appreciated (like what to use as a backstop to catch the lead in the barn).[/QUOTE

You and Festus are very fortunate to have those facilities. Man, it's sooo COOOL to have your own Range!

JJ, are you going to set up a reloading station in the barn too? Get a nice recliner, 32" Flat screen, refrigerator, nice humidor full of Dominicans, some heat, and you're all set!!! Sorta like my garage, but bigger!!!!!! LOL!!!

We have a good sized chunk of land backed up to miles of BLM land and I shoot some most days. I should build a real range, but just have various targets around right now.

My son and I just purchased 20 acres in the boonies and building my own range is one of my first priorities. I'm quite pumped about it. There is a huge barn on the farmstead which I'm thinking of converting into an indoor range (our winters are quite long and cold, here). We should close on the property at the end of June, so the lead should be flying forthwith! Any pointers or helpful tips are appreciated (like what to use as a backstop to catch the lead in the barn).[/QUOTE

You and Festus are very fortunate to have those facilities. Man, it's sooo COOOL to have your own Range!

JJ, are you going to set up a reloading station in the barn too? Get a nice recliner, 32" Flat screen, refrigerator, nice humidor full of Dominicans, some heat, and you're all set!!! Sorta like my garage, but bigger!!!!!! LOL!!!

Hmmm...the possibilities are endless. Imagine the "man cave" of all man caves: range, reloading station, TV, cigars, woodstove, fridge. Now, we're tallking!

Hmmm...the possibilities are endless. Imagine the "man cave" of all man caves: range, reloading station, TV, cigars, woodstove, fridge. Now, we're tallking!

Some "Chicks" would really like that cave too. Can I come over too? :girl_wink:

Some "Chicks" would really like that cave too. Can I come over too? :girl_wink:

Yeah, I suppose we'd have to have "Women's Night" every once in awhile. Hey, I'm liberated...:biggrin: What kind of cigars do you like?

It’s not about the quantity of ammo; it is all about the QUALITY of the practice. Just burning ammo down range may or may not help you improve. If you have developed bad habits, poor trigger control and a sloppy sight picture, large quantities of ammo just reinforce those bad habits.

Dry firing and empty practice drills (draws to dry fire, trigger reset, reloads, rap,tap,bang drills ect) will greatly enhance your live fire drills.

That said, I practice drills 3 times weekly and fire 200 rounds a week on the range with my carry 1911. A great way to really tune pistols skills, shoot tin cans at 30 to 35 yards. You won’t double tap, but it is a fun way to learn where your gun shoots at different distances, it also teaches a good solid sight picture and trigger control. Another great target for field shooting is golf balls. I also shoot 1000 or so rounds out of a .22LR a month, I have always believed that rim fire shooting is the best all around practice you can get, and the price cannot be beat.

Get a decent progressive loader and you'll shoot big bores a bunch cheaper.

Steve

Yeah, I suppose we'd have to have "Women's Night" every once in awhile. Hey, I'm liberated...:biggrin: What kind of cigars do you like?

I help out at a cigar store once in a while. There are women that come in and buy cigars to smoke, not give away. You'd be surprised how many women smoke them. Mostly, they like the flavored ones.

I try to go once a month, and fire about 100 rounds, Strong, Weak, Supported, unsupported, finish up with slow tight groups
But my left eye has lost its master vision and trying to NOT shoot cross dominant is rough.
If anyone has some good pointers I'm open to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back