How OFten do u all practice ?

ALUCARD

i already have my PA ccw & just applied for my Florida ccw permit.our group of friends ( about 5 of us including me ) practice about every 10 or 14 days on the range.both indoor & outdoor.approx. 250-300 rounds per visit.strong hand , weak hand .drawing from the holster & the most humbling.drawing , then point & shoot from the hip.love doing it , but getting expensive.it's great that the pt job pays for it all.we have a shooting from barricade class in 2 weeks. always something to keep our skills up.
how often does everyone here go out & what if u can do you practice ?

You'll find that frequency and style of practice ranges from weekly drills for dedicated citizens to yearly basic qualifications for law enforcement officers.

There is no standard.

As time goes on, you'll find that you're confident in your skills and you won't need to burn through as much ammo to practice. You'll be refreshing your skills, not building them.

This doesn't have to be the case for you. Building skill does not mean blazing through ammo. Simple drills consisting of drawing and aiming can help. I'm sure other threads around the board and other replies here will help give you some more feedback that you're looking for.
---
Some may take my statements as an affront to the philosophy of constant self improvement, but I mean no disrespect. I'm just trying to take an objective look at average practices by average handgun owners. Some assumptions are made, but I hope they're not too far off the mark.

i already have my PA ccw & just applied for my Florida ccw permit.our group of friends ( about 5 of us including me ) practice about every 10 or 14 days on the range.both indoor & outdoor.approx. 250-300 rounds per visit.strong hand , weak hand .drawing from the holster & the most humbling.drawing , then point & shoot from the hip.love doing it , but getting expensive.it's great that the pt job pays for it all.we have a shooting from barricade class in 2 weeks. always something to keep our skills up.
Why do you have a PA permit, when a Florida permit will allow you to carry in PA, and several other states?
How much is WWB going for these days in Chicago land? 6 boxes at $15.=$90. That is IMO, a waste of ammo.
However, shoot as much as you want. As Booga stated, its about skill building. I usually go to the range twice a month, and shoot 50 rounds or less.

That is doing pretty good. I used to run that many rounds every month, but due to the cost I have only been doing about 150-200 a month! Really sucks! I belong to a conservation club that has a pretty good outdoor range and I do most of my shooting there. I occasionally do some indoor shooting, but I don't like that as much. Easier to pick up brass though!:yu:

I try and get there about once every two weeks, when weather permits.
I mostly only shoot rifles, and I need to keep my eye and hand working together,
But sometimes it goes to once a month when we have WEEKS of rain.

If I don't get there at least once a month, I mostly shoot the same zip code,
When I'm trying to shoot MOA targets! :angry:

Pistol shooting comes back quicker than rifle shooting does,
Reflex shooting a pistol, once learned, is mostly muscle memory,
While rifle shooting is a constantly changing environment and needs to be practiced to hit a 500 yard target.

If I can get 20 well aimed shots from the .308 a week, my eye, hand & body start working together again,
If I don't get those 20 rounds every week or so, then the groups start to get bigger and bigger, and if I go a couple of months, I'm lucky to print on the target at all! :mad:

This two weeks has been a total wash out,
Every time I think I'm getting enough sunshine to get some range practice in, then it rains again before I can get loaded or set up at the range!

For me, it's a good stress reliever also,
You can't think about a million other things and do well on the targets, so it's a good way to clear out my head and get down to basic brass tacks to hit anything!
I always feel much better after a day at the range, or even a couple of hours!

I mostly only shoot rifles, and I need to keep my eye and hand working together,

While rifle shooting is a constantly changing environment and needs to be practiced to hit a 500 yard target.

If I can get 20 well aimed shots from the .308 a week, my eye, hand & body start working together again,
If I don't get those 20 rounds every week or so, then the groups start to get bigger and bigger, and if I go a couple of months, I'm lucky to print on the target at all! :mad:

Every time I think I'm getting enough sunshine to get some range practice in, then it rains again before I can get loaded or set up at the range!

You can't think about a million other things and do well on the targets, so it's a good way to clear out my head and get down to basic brass tacks to hit anything!
amen brother

I dry practice 4 times a week, both left and right handed. I get to the range 2-6 times a month (it's only 5 minutes from my house). I practice at the range with my primary and BUG at least twice a month. The other visits are for pure enjoyment with other guns. I also go to Front Sight a few times a year (4 hours away). This is only possible due to massive amounts of reloading and a wife who enjoys shooting as well.

I don't get to practice as much as i used to about 50 rounds every 2 months is what i have been trying to do. If i could fire 100 rounds every month i would feel better.

We have 11 acres in the middle of no where with lots of banks we can shoot in to. I don't practice often enough.

Neal

We have 11 acres in the middle of no where with lots of banks we can shoot in to. I don't practice often enough.

Wow! We're not allowed to shoot into banks here in Nevada. Pisses off the customers. :sarcastic:

I try to shoot about once a week 50 to 100 rounds. Most of the time I am working with someone else on their shooting. But its all good.

point and shoot

I like to practice at least once a week. Can do it in my own backyard. I put up a sheet of the newspaper and back up about 10 to 12 feet and practice drawing and point and shoot. Can hit the newspage about 90% of the time. Will slowly increase the distance over time. I practice both with my 327 revolver and a 9mm semi auto. Hope I never have to draw in anger, but want to be prepared. Probably shoot 40 to 50 rounds a week and use the cheaper 32 wadcutters in the 327. Am considering doing some reloading in the future.

Since I too can shoot in my backyard, I tend to practice atleast twice per week. As everyone knows the high price of ammo makes it difficult but, if I cant afford to shoot up anymore .45 ammo, Ill pull out the .22's or even take the hunting rifles out of the safe (or anything else I have extra ammo for).

Its too bad that the handgun ammo seems to go soooooooooo fast, can never have enough.

If i had more income then it would be less of a problem, but trying to keep enough rounds in my safe for my own use is hard enough, let alone paying a range fee because i don't have any land to shoot on.

If i had more income then it would be less of a problem, but trying to keep enough rounds in my safe for my own use is hard enough, let alone paying a range fee because i don't have any land to shoot on.

Look into Airsoft-type guns. They make models duplicating look and feel of many popular handguns, and practicing with one is less expensive.

Man you are right on target there! I am the same way. I earned my 3rd award expert shooting badge in the Marines, and filled in as a range coach twice, but now I sometimes have it hard at 300 yards with a scope! I just don't understand it. Maybe I spend too much time behind the handgun and not enough behind the rifle. (Just the opposite in the service) I have a Savage bolt gun in .22WMR that, for some reason, I can shoot wickedly accurate. The center fires I am just average with. :cray:

Hey 901-Memphis, is that Sigma of yours in 9mm or .40? I had one in .40 and still kick myself for selling it to my older brother!:angry:

So far this year, I have been to three professional classes each lasting two full days and requiring 1000+ rounds.

I have also been to the range many times, including today. I worked out a new rifle (250 rounds) and worked on my "get off the x" techniques for the pistol (250 rounds).

I try to shoot at least once a month.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back