How many rounds do you REALLY need.

Looking for real, empirical evidence here, not the macho "as many as I can manage." Is there research/statistics out there about how many rounds actually get fired in a CCW self defense situation?

There was a post some time ago that did a good job of taking a lot of numbers, crunching them and came up with something like 2 to 3 rounds to stop a BG. Now, how you know if you have the 1 round guy or the 30 round PCP addicted BG is beyond me. Should I ask him before I start shooting? LOL

Carry... Full mag, 2 back-ups for 1911 and one for my Walther. Don't risk having a magazine failure. YMMV.

Enough to get the job done.

Stats show that its around 2.6 rounds in a gun fight. But stats also show that there is a chance that it could be 15+. I know I don't want to be caught in that small percentage with only 2.6 rounds.

Remember 1 is none and 2 is 1.

Yup, why take a chance and carry a minimum. Take all that you can with-out looking like a Rambo WannaBee...

I like at least one back-up magazine, but will carry two if the attire allows.

I always carry 2 spare mags extra. A few years ago I would have thought that that would be enough. After reading of numerous cases of flash mob attacks, I have starting carrying extra mags. If me and my wife are attacked by a gang of feral humans, we won't be going down alone.

In another thread posted that I did carry two spare 8 round mags and 8 + 1 in the 45, since the flash mob crap started I now carry 4 8 round mags in addition to the loaded + 1 45. I carry all the time including home due to some recent problems with home invasion. Boy Scout Motto Be Prepared.

Nobody knows how many rounds they will need as nobody knows the situations they may be in, the condition of or the number of thugs that need to be stopped. If a number is required to answer the the OP, I will say 16. Perhaps earlier today I'da said 12 or maybe 24, maybe it depends on one's mood when answering these hypothetical questions?

If you fire your gun three times to stop a threat then stop to take a look to see and make a decision if your attacker is dead, you need more range time.

You never will know the type of situation one may encounter. My main is an XD 9 with one Hi-Cap in the firearm and two more Hi-Caps, a total of 48 rounds. My BUG is a Walther PPS 9 with one 8 round mag in the firearm and two 8 round mags total 24 rounds. I figure if 72 rounds is not enough it is most likely my time is up no matter what. Hopefully I will never find myself in that situation.

The Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster system comes with a double magazine carrier on the off-side. Makes a great way to grab you sidearm and two spare mags all at the same time.

This is one of my carry options with my Glocks, no matter the Glock in the holster there are two 19 round mags on the off side.

Can everyone post a picture of you're waist with all these magazines attached?

They are not on my waist, but under my arm. :)

Speaking of carrying magazines, I keep a few spares loaded in my vehicles too.

Thanks for sharing, great article!

I carry my short mag in my XD40, and a spare mag with 12 for a total of 22 including the chambered round. This article tends to support what I teach in training that accuracy is far more important than caliber.

I still prefer to have the choice of quantity if my quality should falter under pressure, and these days multiple assailants seems to be on the rise.

Ok...I'll bite...

If you want to discount the prudent response as "macho," then I would argue you aren't looking for honest answers. I doubt that even the neophytes would argue that carrying only 2.8 rounds (because that is the average) would be prudent. Heck, its not even possible! So let's say three rounds. Any takers? Of course not. And here are some reasons why...

What if the assailant is using illicit drugs that dull the pain response? What if the assailant is wearing some sort of body armor? What if the assailant is using cover or concealment? What if they are just so emotionally invested/committed for whatever reason that they continue to function even after having been dealt serious injury? What if there are multiple assailants? What about combinations of the above factors?

The answer is, and continues to be (with no machismo necessary), that you should carry as many rounds as you are willing to carry and can effectively conceal if that's your style.

Another factor to consider is the number of spare magazines you carry. If you are ever in a prolonged gunfight, you may have an opportunity for a tactical reload. Your gun runs on ammo, so top off the tank. This requires you to exchange the partial mag in your gun with a full mag from your belt. The number of full spare mags you carry will determine how many times you can do this, and will prolong the possibility of running the gun dry and needing to do an emergency reload. Bad place to be: in the middle of a gunfight with an empty gun.

So...as many rounds, contained in as many spare magazines, as you are willing to carry and are able to effectively conceal (if concealment is your style).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back