How did it feel when you first started carrying?

Neal

I have been debating for some time whether to carry a 45 or 9 mm, and for several reasons decided to go with the 45 about a week ago. I got the gun broken in in time for a business trip that I am currently on for three days, and my wife and I leave a week from Saturday for a one week trip that will take us to Florida and then back to Ohio via Indiana where we are attending a second conference.

I have shot a gun many times, but I must confess that when I loaded the Kimber and got it ready to put in the holster and head off, it felt quite sobering. Thoughts of the thing going off accidentally came to my mind. I think part of it is that the gun is new to me. I went with a Kimber Ultra Carry 45, and the gun I have used for target practice over the past 20 years has been a SW 910.

I would be curious to know how others who now carry on a regular basis felt early on when they first started carrying. I wonder how long it will take to get comfortable with a gun strapped to my belt.

Thanks,

Neal

Ricbak, you should leave the .50 in your nightstand and carry something a bit easier to deal with.

Neal, the weight on my belt helped me to focus on both my situational awareness and my responsibility as an armed citizen (wait, that's redundant)

I was referring more to the idea of carrying a loaded firearm as opposed to the weight on the belt (although that is a reminder, too).

I carry a loaded ( one in the chamber) full size 1911, Kimber or Springfield and have never had the thought of it going off buy its self. The grip safety takes care of that problem. The only thing that I thought when I started carrying was who was looking at me and could they tell that I had a gun on me. After about a week with nobody screaming "he's got a gun" those thoughts went away and now it is like second nature to carry. I don't think about it the only time I notice it is when I go some place that I have to lock it up and then I feel naked.

I first started carrying in late February, and truthfully, I was nervous. I kept wondering if people could see it printing on my shirt, or bulging under my arm when I wore an underarmor style shirt holster. Then one day 3 weeks ago I was getting gas chatting with one of the local PD, I know, and he asked me why I wasn't carrying. (I was in gym shorts & tshirt, no belt etc.) I smiled and told him about said undershirt holster.

Now I feel great every time I knowing that if the feces hits the fan I won't have to be a helpless victim.

Thought my pants were falling off... Kept grabbing my belt... What a wacko.....:man_in_love:

Was it that old Flintlock that was pulling your trousers down.:sarcastic:

Yea, you have that feeling like "what if it shows and the crowd starts yelling GUN!!" "They must not know I have this with me."

You have it for about 30 minutes or so and then it's natural and all is right with the world.

If the jacket happens to open or my shirt rides up a bit, whoops... Let them ask and I'll answer and try to educate..

Peace...

You do feel the responsibility come on you (If you are not a Yahoo)..
I carry a smaller 9mm in my back, and after a while I forget it's there.
I was walking through Lowes the other day and it suddenly hit me that I didn't have my gun.. That's how comfortable I've become.. I'm still more aware, etc.. but it's more 2nd nature now..

The only thing that I still do is tug on my shirt tail.. The shirts sometimes get caught between the gun and my back if I lean over, so I'm a little habitual about the shirt tug, I know the gun is not showing since it is IWB, but the shirt caught between the gun and my back could draw undue attention..

I just got my permit about a week ago. I had posted a thread called CCW in the Mail... Now the reality sets in. I posted how I felt when I had called Utah and they told me it was on my way. As you said, sobering, is a good word. I have carried for a week now and I'm already comfortable with it. I do have to think about my day in the mornings, thinking about where I'm going and what I'll be doing, then dress accordingly. I had to go to the airport yesterday and knew I would be going through security so I just left it in the car for that hour or so.

But yes, there is a sense of responsibility and even awe about the power you have when you carry. If a person doesn't recognize that responsibility then they have no business carrying.

I carry a S&W Sigma 40 caliber and yes, it does have a 20 lb trigger pull (exaggeration but not by much) but being new to carrying, it is a safety feature that I do feel comfortable with right now, especially being double action only. That virtually eliminates the possibility of an accidental discharge. I will probably upgrade to something of a higher quality later but for now, I do like it.

Congrats on the new venture and welcome to the world of those of us who won't become a victim without a fight.

The second time I drove to my brother's place to shoot, I had my Glock 26 in a fobus holster. It took about an hour and 45 minutes to get there and my side was a bit sore, because I didn't have it in a good spot. I have since become better adjusted to it, figuritively and literally!
I have to wear a slightly oversized t-shirt with the 26 and the holster I have.
If the pants aren't tight, I'll pocket a Keltec instead.!

It made me much more aware of my surroundings. It also made me realize the responsibility I had to avoid any kind of trouble and to not get into any kind of arguments or confrontations with other people. I guess you could say it made me a better citizen as weird as it sounds.

It made me much more aware of my surroundings. It also made me realize the responsibility I had to avoid any kind of trouble and to not get into any kind of arguments or confrontations with other people. I guess you could say it made me a better citizen as weird as it sounds.

Pretty much what he said.

There have been a LOT of situations that have come up over the years (it's closing in on 20) where I acted out of character (I don't put up with much under most circumstances) to avoid or defuse a potential confrontation that I felt could get out of hand. I also started being much more aware of my surroundings and the actions of those around me.

As for the actual carrying of the gun, I was REALLY aware it was on my hip and was quite self-conscious about it for a long time. I wouldn't say I was in awe, but I did feel the extra mental and psychological weight of the responsibility it entailed.

I still find that when I carry, I avoid any situation that could have any possibility of trouble. I will put up with a whole lot more and walk away when Im carrying.

I've carried some sort of firearm most of my time in the Military so I guess I got used to having one while in public and have never thought about it from day one.

It fees great! From 22 to a.40 CAL - .380
9MM , naked without it shouder is better for
bigger. Rig=safety=reliability.

Awaremes

That sums it up 100%. Awareness, avoiding "bad" areas, being observant. Also, being "prepared".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back