Homeowner charged with attempted murder.

Hey everyone, remember Marshall Coulter, the 14 year old professional thief who got himself shot in the head when climbed over the 7' fence of a New Orleans homeowner at 1:30 in the AM to try to rob him? Remember how anti-gunners went after the homeowner to get him charged with attempted murder?

Well, he's at it again. A year down the road and recovered enough to engage in his chosen trade again, he was caught breaking into another home in the very same neighborhood.

What did Coulter learn from this whole incident? That he can rob with impunity because anti-gunners put the fear of using their firearms for home defense into home owners.

http://www.guns.com/2014/05/03/teen...-arrested-again-for-attempted-burglary-video/

This guy is flirting with a more accurate reenactment of One Year Ago.

I'll just sit back, watch, and wait. He'll make the 6 PM news again before long. Some people have to learn the hard way.

If you are planning on trying to rob my home, harm my family or myself, please have name and number of next of kin sewn into your body bag.

And then you're a potential 'Victim'.

And how would you know that the trespasser 'does not' have a criminal record?
How would you know that the trespasser 'is not' armed with some sort of a weapon in the dark?

Self-Defense 'is' an appropriate response to the 'criminal activity' of trespass/burglary... especially at night!

And since the 'offender' does indeed have a history of trespassing/stealing from people in his past, his criminal history 'should indeed' be admissible!

People/Parent's...Get a damn clue on how to properly raise these wanna-be-gangsta children...
It's far less dramatic than burying them or incarcerating them imvho.
You're a potential victim every time you go to Walmart, or anywhere there are people you don't personally know. There's a difference between the guy trespassing in the yard vs. being in your home.

What did Coulter learn from this whole incident? That he can rob with impunity because anti-gunners put the fear of using their firearms for home defense into home owners.
Not in me. I think not in a lot of posters here either. I wouldn't want to break into the house of a lot of the USA carry regulars.

You're a potential victim every time you go to Walmart, or anywhere there are people you don't personally know. There's a difference between the guy trespassing in the yard vs. being in your home.

You already replied to The_Outlaw's post just a week shy of a year ago.

The_Outlaw hasn't posted here on the site since November of last year. I actually sent him a PM when I noticed he hadn't been around for a couple of months to see if he was alright. He didn't answer, so I'm guessing he either quit coming here in one fell swoop and didn't have email notification set for PMs, or he ain't alright.

In any case, the shooter in the OP story, Merritt Landry, Link Removed in May of this year after the 14-year-old "professional thief" (as-described by one of his own family members), Marshall Coulter, was Link Removed in connection to a rash of home burglaries in Landry's same neighborhood around the time that he shot Coulter.

Blues

Hope Outlaws OK butt he could of been taken out by the NSA or a Maobama directive. Hard to tell when someone disappears. I'll check with my contacts................

In a story some are already saying bears resemblance to the Trayvon Martin case, a homeowner in New Orleans has been arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder after he shot an unarmed teenager. The homeowner thought that the teen was trying to break into his home.
14-year-old Marshall Coulter is in critical condition after being shot in the head by 33-year-old Merritt Landry at around 2 am Friday morning. Police, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports, said that the teen was shot near Landry’s car. Friends told the outlet that Landry’s car was behind the gate.
According to the arrest warrant, viewed by the Times-Picayune, Landry said he approached Coulter from his front yard, near his car. But as he drew closer, he said the boy made a “thwarted move, as if to reach for something.” Fearing it was a weapon, Landry shot him once.

Link Removed

Question;
What was this supposedly 'innocent kid' doing trespassing inside of someones fenced in yard at '2 am' in the darkest hours of the night...
Playing peek a boo or playing "real life" grand theft auto on other people's private property?

This punk was clearly up to no good imvho.
His own brother even admitted that; "He would steal" & that "He was a professional thief for sure".

Play stupid games = Win stupid prizes.

I don't think its anything at all like the Martin case. This case sounds more favorable for the shooter to claim self defense. He was on his property. Martin was on public property. That makes a huge difference, imo.

This is a good thread and lots of good points have been made. I don’t have any arguments with any of it really. What I might add to this is that this kind of situation is a good argument for owning one of those portable, battery powered spotlights.
If one suspects a property crime is occurring on one’s property, the best approach would be to not move toward the threat, but from the safest distance possible, light the area up. If there is a figure present, light ‘em up as bright as day (and make sure you get a GOOD description of the suspect). This should be enough to frighten him off. If at this point he doesn’t duck for cover or run, but instead moves TOWARD the light, then that changes things. Because most state laws are based upon a “reasonable person” standard. What would a reasonable person think?
If one is standing in the doorway of their own home, or ON THE PORCH, then one has some protection under the “presumption of justification” for the use of lethal force with “no duty to retreat” under Castle Doctrine. This is the case here in PA as I understand it. Different states have different laws but there seems to be a lot of overall similarity.
One last point; these cases always revolve around the “totality of the circumstances”. This is why each case is unique and there is no cookie cutter approach as to what to do.
And finally, if you do need to shoot, the BEST way to throw your protections under "presumption of justification" out the window is to open your mouth when the police arrive. Shut Up and Lawyer Up!

David Coulter (the older brother) said "I want to see the system do its job for once."
~
Which apparently it wasn't... "He would steal -- he was a professional thief, sure,"
But being a thief, even a professional one, does not justify deadly force unless he makes forced entry to your home WHILE YOU ARE IN SIDE. Or attempt robbery which would put you in fear of your life or gross bodily injury.
At least that’s the law here in S.C.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back