Gun shops

wizard

Is your favorite gunshop Big or small? What do you look for in a gunshop? What I mean is, what is important to you in choosing a gunshop.
I am asking because I was recently at a large outfitter type store that I have been to a few times. I have found that the gunsales staff is not very knowlegeable on any of the guns, yet they are always busy selling guns. They rarely can answer basic questions, so how is it they are so busy? I don't believe it is customer service. Am I missing something? I look for someone who is knowlegeable and is willing to take the time to anwer questions and show me how the gun breaks down for cleaning. Is it the large selection of guns? Does your gunshop have a Gunsmith? Is this important? Just curious as to how people choose there gunshop!

I have a friend that has an FFL. We usually try out the new stuff that we like so. He's also an ametuer gunsmith. I usually shop at one of the larger shops for ammo because their prices are better. As soon as my friend starts ordering ammo, I imagine I wont need to go to the gun shops anymore

When I go to any gun store, I want 'friendly' service first and foremost. I can't stand it when some of the sales people are trying to act like some hardcore experts who know more than I do.
Secondly, I want a large selection of brand spanking new 'in stock' products, not a very limited selection of guns that have been 'played with' numerous times by the stores employees whenever they get bored.
I also don't like it when any of the sales staff acts as if I am some moron who is just wasting thier time if I'm not ready to purchase a gun in that exact moment.
Whenever someone pulls that elitist crap, I'll just go shop someplace else. Just treat me with 'a little' respect and I'll be a loyal customer for the rest of my life.
But if I'm being treated like I'm some kind of a douchebag, then to Hell with them and their entire store. (The DFW Gun Range & Training Center on Mockingbird in Dallas TX comes to 'very recent' mind).
I will NEVER waste my time or my money in that place ever again.

My preferred gun shop found me. The owners frequent one of the bar/restaurants I oversee and I've known them for years. One thing led to another and presto - I've got friends who're FFLs. It's a small shop but I can get anything I want through them and I know I'll get the best deal in town. It's a husband and wife operation - he handles the business aspect and she's the firearm expert.

Is your favorite gunshop Big or small? What do you look for in a gunshop? What I mean is, what is important to you in choosing a gunshop.

Wow!! Great question... I'd go this way with my response. I let the gun shop choose me... I was in there once looking at some items and discussing something with the owner and his wife. Shane (employee) looks at me and says "You were just here 3 days ago"... I said "Yea, but I love this bar"... The owner and his wife along with the 4 other people in the place laughed..

They allow you to look and ask questions/get feedback... They feel that you are the most important part of their business. They strive to make you happy, and take any and all feedback into consideration. The first time I walked into the shop The owners wife (a lovely & friendly southern gal with a twang) took the time to make sure the holster I was looking for, was the best fit for me... She stuck with me and followed through... The owner took the time to ask me questions about my background with shooting and the use of defensive carry guns and answer mine, when I was getting a new striker fired automatic. Making sure I understood what I was looking for, not trying to sway me with BS or sell me what he thought was the best option... He's also a state police officer so he has a good understanding of the laws (not easy in this cesspool of liberals)...
It's gotten to the point that I am greeted by name upon arriving and when my wife visits, Dennis informs her what my latest interests are.. They do not have a gunsmith in house (small place) but Dennis has a guy that he trusts with his personal firearms so if need be I'd use him. I do most of my simple gun work myself..

It's like stopping in to visit a buddy on the way home from work... I've been to some other places that do not have that feel and I check prices. I go back and negotiate with Dennis and we come to a deal... He values his customers and his reputation..

My reasons...

The place is smaller and can get crowded on a busy day (has been most times this past holiday season) but everyone is polite and moves out of the way or hands you something that they may be blocking access to if asked.

C'mon now. The answer to this question is the same for all retail businesses. I am certain that the answers to this question, vis a vis a gunshop will sound the same if you take away the word "gunshop" and replace it with some other equipment-oriented business. Clean, ordered, knowledgeable, friendly, full inventory, reasonable competitive pricing, quality service and repair, and on and on.

I live in a small nebraska town (600 people). The local auto parts store is also a gun store...it is also just a hang out....so it is my little man heaven in town. Selection is good and prices great...if he doesnt have it he will order it...i like going in for some ammo and ending up talking for an hour with everyone....the "cheers" of gun stores

A good gunshop should remind you of the Cheers song. Sometimes paying a few bucks more for a gun is worth it to be comfortable and feel like one of the guys when you walk in.

KK

C'mon now. The answer to this question is the same for all retail businesses. I am certain that the answers to this question, vis a vis a gunshop will sound the same if you take away the word "gunshop" and replace it with some other equipment-oriented business. Clean, ordered, knowledgeable, friendly, full inventory, reasonable competitive pricing, quality service and repair, and on and on.

I tend to do most all of my repairs and upgrades myself. From PCs to cars to home appliances. I have the "natural ability for fixin" as my brother-in-law says.

I frequent Home Depot for 3 reasons, location, selection of needed parts, and price. Most (not all) of the help there is not much help.. I prefer them for different reasons than I prefer the gun store I frequent... I guess it comes down to the product. A gun to me is more intimate and personal than the toilet flapper valve leak repair kit... So yes and no.. Thoughts?

I visit all the pawn shops in my area at least once a month looking for a deal. Bought 90% of my stuff used. Figured the first time I shoot them they would be considered used.. so why not just start out that way. Quality guns are hard to beat and are easy to spot. I also like the challenge of getting the best buy.

I like a store where I am treated like a potential gun buyer instead of "the wife".

The largest local (not big box) store has some new management that really steps up. The last time I was looking (takes me a few trips to finally buy) I got the "you must be a novice because you have a uterus" from another customer who knew everything:rolleyes:

My current "gun shop" is Cabelas, about a 1/2 hour drive from my house. The gun staff that I have encountered seem to be knowledgable, they have always answered my questions and I have never got an "I don't know" from any of them. They seem to know how each gun operates. There are several independant dealers in the area, I have only been to a few of them, but the few I have been to, they sure made it a point to let me know what an idiot I was, and how smart they were. I did visit a dealer last week that I had never been to before, and holy cow, did they have an inventory! They were very busy (MLK DAY)but seemed to be friendly. I was only browsing, but I will surely visit them again when I am ready to buy.

My new most favorite gun store is actually run out of the basement of a house. Their prices are cheap, they are really friendly and good to work with. They are the 4th largest retailer of guns north of Salt Lake. They also had more floor space than anyone else at the last Crossroads Of the West gun show.

I tend to do most all of my repairs and upgrades myself. From PCs to cars to home appliances. I have the "natural ability for fixin" as my brother-in-law says.

I frequent Home Depot for 3 reasons, location, selection of needed parts, and price. Most (not all) of the help there is not much help.. I prefer them for different reasons than I prefer the gun store I frequent... I guess it comes down to the product. A gun to me is more intimate and personal than the toilet flapper valve leak repair kit... So yes and no.. Thoughts?

I guess that is why I used the term "equipment" in my reply. Obviously I meant more than a flapper valve or a box of nails, but I get your point. More intimate? Purchasing an expensive table saw or some other kind of construction or landscaping equipment should (if you are smart and serious about it) also be a bit intimate and a bit personal--but I do understand what you are saying.

Most gunshops in my area are not much different on price, so I buy from the person who's willing to go the extra mile to get my business. Five point Firearms in Shelbyville,KY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back