For people who doubt the .380 can do the job.

i have a Vietnam vet friend who says he was in special ops over there and compares himself to Rambo. He likes 45 revolvers but also carries one of those NA arms 22 magnums - the ones that are so small they used to make key chains out of them. He carries the 22 magnum in front in a fanny pack that's open on the top, and if he doesn't like how someone approaching him looks or feels uneasy about a situation he puts a hand in his fanny pack and grabs hold of the gun. He say's he'll only draw if the bad guy starts something but he's going to shoot from within a couple feet at the guy's face. If the bullet doesn't hurt him, the flame it shoots out will.

This is also the guy who suggested I try a fanny pack for concealed carry... well, the europeans think I'm cute! Not sure I buy everything the guy says, but he's fun to chat with.:crazy_pilot:

I carry a 380 more than a .45, although I usually always have a .45 in reach at home or in car. Seems like I once heard there were more shooting fatalities with 22lr than all other calibers. . Even a pellet rifle can/ will kill you. As far as stopping power , shot placement is important. A shot in the leg with a 22 isn't going to stop you like a 44 mag would in the same place though.

I read this entire thread from the beginning today. As I was going along I'm thinking to myself around post number 37, WOW he has done it again. The OP opens a thread with some inane assumption and never comes back to defend anything at all. But in the mean time we have all of these contributors doing what, inanely defending and propagating the OP's point.
~
Then I read post #40 and someone gets it and proceeds to expound on the contribution of the OP and just how useless the threads/discussion are that he deems so important.
~
I do want to thank you all or the entertainment.

Some of the guns folks use as primaries also have a 7 or 8 round capacity.

I understand there are many factors as to why folks choose which guns they carry, primary and bug, ranging from weight to physical size to ability to handle recoil to mode of dress and ammo capacity. And yet those who carry a smaller caliber for a bug are relying on the smaller caliber to do the job just as much as they are relying on the larger caliber. Perhaps even more since the purpose of a bug is to finish what the primary couldn't.

So it seems odd to me that some folks dismiss smaller calibers as inadequate for primary guns that are quite often considered acceptable for back up guns to use when the larger caliber primary has failed to get the job done.
I carry a 2nd firearm (usually a naa 22mag) not as a "backup", (although it would certainly work as one) but for something like a wild animal (snake,possum,etc..) that is going after my chickens for example....... When it wouldnt be all that prudent to use my primary (357 mag snubby) as the firearm of choice.... as it would be too loud, costs more to shoot, etc....

I carry a 2nd firearm (usually a naa 22mag) not as a "backup", (although it would certainly work as one) but for something like a wild animal (snake,possum,etc..) that is going after my chickens for example....... When it wouldnt be all that prudent to use my primary (357 mag snubby) as the firearm of choice.... as it would be too loud, costs more to shoot, etc....
A .22LR or mag is perfect for that use. Even a .22short can do the job. And if it is rabbit or squirrel, you don't waste the meat. 'Possum, not so much of a waste and the same with a groundhog.

A .22LR or mag is perfect for that use. Even a .22short can do the job. And if it is rabbit or squirrel, you don't waste the meat. 'Possum, not so much of a waste and the same with a groundhog.

Groundhog taste like chicken.

i won't bad mouth .380 pistols ( i use the LCP as a BUG.) But given a choice when going out the door...... My G17 (Or G19) is on my hip.

This is an interesting discussion. I have, over the years given it some thought. I am, after all, in my seventies. The statistics say that between 800,000 and 2.5 million felonies are prevented annually by citizens with firearms. Personally I like the 2.5 million number best and begrudgingly the anti gun people have to settle with the 800,000 number. Now, of the 2.5 million felonies prevented by firearms 90 some percent are prevented without firing a shot. The mere presence of a gun was sufficient, of any caliber. This leads one to think that you would be protected 90 percent of the time with an unloaded gun.

I also carry a Walther PPK/S, a sweet little accurate pistol in 380.acp. It rides comfortably on my hip. I have absolutely no doubt that bad guys would hate to have a Hornady 90grain JHP inserted anywhere into their body. In fact I absolutely believe that they would go to great lengths to avoid that injection, and they would do it at great speed. But, you 45.cal people say, what about that 250lb rogue navy seal thats high on PCP? How are you going to stop him with that little peashooter? Truth is, Im not. He is going to kill me. He would kill me even if I were carrying a double barreld 12 gage coach gun. Some things are beyond our ability to control and rogue navy seals are one of them. I do lessen the odds considerably by just staying away from areas that those seals habituate.

Although sh!t happens, our best defence will always be situational awareness. I lived for a long time in Chicago and city boys soon learn street smarts. So I believe that street smarts and something in your pocket, regardless of caliber, will serve you well in almost all but a rogue navy seal situation.

I also carry a Walther PPK/S, a sweet little accurate pistol in 380.acp.

I think the Walther is a great choice for a .380. They are nice handling and great to shoot. We had the .22 Walther just for fun. I carried a Diamomdback .380 for a while and then swapped back to my 9mm not because of the caliber but because the Diamondback (Noisy Cricket) had such a recoil, I wasn't as accurate with it.

I took a .380 to the torso once, it had all the effect of a bee sting on me. I lived and the dirtbag ended up in the county morgue with my .45 slug in his brain.

I f the "dirtbag" had a 380 in his brain I think it would have ruined his day as well. And, if that "dirtbag" could shoot he would have ruined your day, and your brain.

Yes Sandeti, I have come to regard my Walther as a close freind. The bullets seem to go where I want them to.

Yes Sandeti, I have come to regard my Walther as a close freind. The bullets seem to go where I want them to.

And "wild Dog" I understand you clam to be a LEO. I have serious doubts of that. First of all, no LEO I have ever known would have a handle on any Forum that sounded anything like "Wild Dog". How would you like to have a prosecutor ask you what your handle you have on a CCW forum? Particularly after a contested shooting. And "Woof, Woof, Dirtbag" is way over the top. Considering that, I also have serious doubts about your claim of a "Bee Sting" equalling a gunshot wound. I think you are a poser.

And "wild Dog" I understand you clam to be a LEO. I have serious doubts of that. First of all, no LEO I have ever known would have a handle on any Forum that sounded anything like "Wild Dog". How would you like to have a prosecutor ask you what your handle you have on a CCW forum? Particularly after a contested shooting. And "Woof, Woof, Dirtbag" is way over the top. Considering that, I also have serious doubts about your claim of a "Bee Sting" equalling a gunshot wound. I think you are a poser.

Show me where on this forum I've claimed to be an LEO. I've always been forthcoming about my career in security.

" But, you 45.cal people say, what about that 250lb rogue navy seal thats high on PCP? How are you going to stop him with that little peashooter? Truth is, Im not. He is going to kill me. He would kill me even if I were carrying a double barreld 12 gage (sic) coach gun. Some things are beyond our ability to control and rogue navy seals are one of them. I do lessen the odds considerably by just staying away from areas that those seals habituate."

George: I am nearly out of my 70s, pushing 80 in the rear end. I have infirmities that have severely limited my activities but nothing that will cause me to just give up and let someone kill me, as you stated. When out, I have a .380 in my truck/car but generally carry a Glock 23 or a Sig 2022, 9mm. I also have a full size 1911 .45 that I sometimes carry when out but don't wear it because it's too darn heavy and my pants fall down. That 250 pound fellow you are worrying about would likely be stopped by a .380 between the eyes and I definitely believe that, even in a drug induced fog, he would be painfully aware that he had been shot anywhere else in his body. And, if the first shot didn't work, shoot again...and again....and again, then reload. It pains me to see you concede defeat so readily. Even as old as I am, I still enjoy life and do not intend to relinquish it so easily. I also stay out of areas that are usually frequented by the more riotous among us but they do sometimes slip into our comfort zones. I try to be like the frog.

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back