Flying and Transportation of Firearms.

TSA just has had arrested a few of their great employees. For theft.

What do u do with ur ammo? Can it be in the lockbox? Obviously not in the gun.

Depends on the airline. Federal regulations and most airlines allow the ammunition to be in the same container as the gun. The ammo must be packaged in a container specifically made for ammo storage, I just use the factory box. A few airlines will not allow the ammo in the same case with the gun, so it just goes in its own box in your luggage.

When I fly with my gun, the unloaded gun goes in the case with the slide locked back, the unloaded magazines go right next to the gun (not in the gun), and a 20 round factory box of ammo in the corner of the gun case. The gun case gets two non-TSA key locks, keyed the same, and NOBODY but me touches the key. Holster goes in the luggage next to the gun case and luggage gets a TSA combo lock to keep honest people honest. Never have had any issues. The gun clearly shows unloaded on the xray due to the slide locked back and the magazines next to the gun.

When I get to my destination and it's time to load up, I just have to retrieve the gun case and holster from my luggage and everything I need is right there, quick and easy.

My ammo won't fit in my lockbox with the gun and magazines, and I don't want to buy a larger lockable case to take up more room in my suitcase (I want to use my lockbox at my destination anyway), so I just put the ammo in one of those plastic ammo cases you see all the time at gun shows.

Link Removed

Gotta go with Navy and Keith on the interpretation of "keep" the key. I also will not hand them my key, but open the case for them, and lock the case for them. Has not been an issue for me either. The one time they took the case into the supervisors office was because one of the two locks malfunctioned and wouldn't lock, but the case was unable to be opened with the one lock so it was cleared to fly. The entire time I held the key.

Whatever works for you, works for you. I'm just relating what has happened to me on numerous trips with my gun and how TSA has told me the regulation is interpreted. When all is said and done, whatever gets you on the plane is good, no matter who opens the case for inspection.

When all is said and done, whatever gets you on the plane is good, no matter who opens the case for inspection.

I must disagree. There is no excuse to allow the government to run amuck and make up whatever rules they want to. The regulations apply to them as much as they apply to us. Where do we draw the line? It's OK for them to violate the Federal regulation and take the key to the case from us because that is the way the minimum wage TSA lowest ranking Bubba interprets the statute? What illegal searches and seizures are we going to allow next?

Whatever you wish to sacrifice for the sake of convenience is up to you. But each time someone allows the government official to make crap up as he goes along, it makes it harder for us to stop them and force them to abide by the regulations that we go to jail for violating.

I travel a great deal of time via aircraft with handguns combo box if they want it open I stand right there and do it, have had 0 issues.

I travel a great deal of time via aircraft with handguns combo box if they want it open I stand right there and do it, have had 0 issues.
The ticket agents pretty much always let you do it, and I'm finding that fewer and fewer airports are using the seperate TSA screening 'station' for checked baggage before you go to your gate. My home airport in Dayton OH used to do that. You checked in at the ticket counter and then took your bags to a seperate TSA check-in area. They no longer have that 2nd check-in area. They just tell you that TSA will page you if they have any questions. Ronald Reagan Washington National had a TSA check-in too up until a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still do because my last trip there I drove instead of flying.

Oops

As unlikely as it probably would be, the chance that a TSA agent "could" take the gun when I'm not looking and just come back from somewhere "secure", hande my key and send me on my way - scares me enough to risk a small confrontation to make sure the law is followed.

I also travel with the law and carriage regs for the airline - always prepared.

Jet Blue is one of the airlines that does NOT allow the ammo to be with the gun. So, I buy a box of ammo at my destination.

Flying with guns is so easy .its better then driving with them .jus make sure u haul sum as**s to the bag claim .

when I lived in PA I use to go to front sight training institute in Pahrump NV. I did all my flying out of Newark airport in NJ. I flew at least a dozen times with all kinds of guns and never had a problem. Just follow rules of packing them and declare it or them at counter. The TSA took you in another room and examined the firearm put a tag in the bag and put it on the belt to go to plane.. Easy Peasy

As unlikely as it probably would be, the chance that a TSA agent "could" take the gun when I'm not looking and just come back from somewhere "secure", hande my key and send me on my way - scares me enough to risk a small confrontation to make sure the law is followed.
I'm pretty sure they have to do it with you present. They always did it with me standing right there with them.

Really the best thing to do is not deal with TSA groping perverts and the irradiating X-ray machines and drive to your destination with your firearms. They are then guaranteed to arrive with you

Really the best thing to do is not deal with TSA groping perverts and the irradiating X-ray machines and drive to your destination with your firearms. They are then guaranteed to arrive with you

Unless you are driving through New York, than neither your firearms nor you are guaranteed to arrive at your destination!

We should probably specify New York City. I don't think the rest of the state is all that draconian, certainly not in comparison to the city.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back