Extra mags really

DCkilla

I have 16 rounds to stop a threat. Do I really need to carry more? My plan was always to stop the threat long enough to get away and call the police. I'm a scaredy cat, ok. Staying and dying is not my first choice.

I have 16 rounds to stop a threat. Do I really need to carry more? My plan was always to stop the threat long enough to get away and call the police. I'm a scaredy cat, ok. Staying and dying is not my first choice.

Hey DCkilla: I did not go further than your thread intro---IMO, you are absolutely correct. I am sure if I look at the replies to your thread, I will find the reasons I never "chimed in" on previous threads that addressed this subject, with all of its "what ifs" and a mob of zombies attacking me, and my ability to weather the firestorm of a "shootout at the OK corral" etal. My mag holds 20 plus the one in the chamber and if that is not enough, I am probably dead already. I can understand, maybe, a 5 shot revolver having an extra speedloader, but even there, statistics, if you want to embrace them, will tell you that most "shootouts" are over after 3 or maybe 4 shots. Yah, yah, yah, before a replier gets his panties wet, there are the what ifs. In any event, DC, I am with your 100%--hey to each his own. If some of the repliers want to walk around with a wheelbarrow full of ammo, have at it---DC and I just find this "need for extra firepower" to be misplaced, as far as we are concerned. I have enough to carry with that hunk of metal on me--I do not need an assortment of ammo belts, mag holders, etal weighing me down as I approach this armageddon requiring my full battalion-strength resources.

Potential magazine failure? Over forty years of shooting I've never had one. It's foolish to attempt to plan for every potential contingency.
I carried extra magazines and extra weapons in combat. It was possible if not probable I would need them.
I don't step out my door into a combat zone.
It is improbable if not impossible I would need an extra magazine or "bug".

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Better to have rounds you don't need than need rounds you don't have. No need to generate low base rate scenarios to support it. The cost/benefit ratio clearly falls on the side of being prepared.

Lets hear it for the "what ifs". How about a double "what if"--- malfunction and a hoard of zombies. How about a triple 'what if"--a malfunction, a hoard of zombies and another malfunction in the middle of the fire fight. I cannot argue with any "what if" and this will always be a case of "to each his own"--you weigh out the potentials for a "what if" and go from there. I am 71 and have never, ever had a need or had to look at a firearm less much a mag or 2 or 3. I guess the "what if" is "there is always tomorrow" even after 71 years. I have enough "stuff" already on my person and that little mag is another slender metal pile of "stuff" that I find to be needless bulk. As far as a mag failure, I would be more concerned with a firearm failure--guess I better have 2 or 3 more of those on my person--more "what ifs". Hey I am just saying. I surely understand the reasons already supplied in replies and I find them to be perfectly reasonable and fine for the repliers' concerned needs. My appreciation of "being ready" is a bit more "relaxed" and comfortable for me.

I usually carry one of my 45s so I have 6 or 8 rounds available depending on which one. Where I live they have learned to run in herds, as many as nine at a time that I know of; they were farming my neighborhood. So I don't think one extra magazine is out of line or paranoid.

If it wasn't for the "what ifs", you wouldn't be carrying a gun in the first place.

Edit: Carry with 17 round mag in firearm. !0 round mag in pocket, takes up no more room than my phone or keys.

I agree your 16 rounds is enough and that you should be trying to get away if it isn't. I do have an extra clip just in case, but I never expect to use it.

Apparently your plan doesn't account for a magazine failure...

If it wasn't for the "what ifs", you wouldn't be carrying a gun in the first place.

Edit: Carry with 17 round mag in firearm. !0 round mag in pocket, takes up no more room than my phone or keys.

Hah, ain't that the truth!!

Carry 13 + 1 with another 13 round mag.

I don't think I have heard anyone say, "damn why did I bring all this extra ammo," during or after a self defense shooting.

.45 pistol 9 rounds, and I carry 1 spare 8 round mag. I carry with a tactical readiness and preparedness. No, I'm not paranoid but it's what I know and what my experiences are and what I've been taught. To each their own. I don't expect to ever go through an entire mag in a civilian self defense situation but if anyone is to prepare against an active shooter scenario (which is occurring more frequently in the past 2 years) then you should prob carry a little extra ammo.

I carry a spare because honestly, it's not that difficult to either throw one in a pocket, on your belt, or if you prefer IWB they make IWB magazine holders. You're right, you can't cover every what-if, but if you don't plan on covering SOME what-ifs why do you even carry a firearm? Have you ever had a need for it? If not, why do you carry it? For the "maybe" possibility you'll need it? Why did I need to carry two backup magazines when I worked for a very rural sheriff's department; I rarely had to draw and only a few times had to fire (90% of those were on wounded animals someone hit) - why did I need to carry 46 rounds of ammo on my person and almost 500 in the car?

Why? For the same reason you may have home owners\renters insurance, auto insurance, insurance on your toys, possibly health insurance - how often do you actually use them? You continue to pay for them every month, but they're there in case something happens and you need them. There's way too many variables to plan for every what-if or situation that life can throw at you, that's correct. But, there is no horde of zombies crap.. If you feel safe not carrying a spare mag, then suit yourself. I've never had a handgun magazine malfunction even when using some well used ones, but my life is more important to me than the inconvenience of carrying a spare magazine that weighs less than a pound and takes up about the same room as my cell phone.

I have experienced magazine failure and have seen others with the same problem. I started packing over forty-five years ago and have never had to draw my sidearm. Has this all been a wasted effort? I have packed as few as six rounds but now that I am slower and more experienced I pack spare ammo. Some people pack three guns with spare ammo for each. What ever you decide is right for you. I carry less than some and more than others. I would rather have one magazine too much than one round too few. Sometimes your attire will affect what you carry. A five shot revolver beats a dirty look any day but a couple of speed clips really doesn't add much weight. If you are looking for an excuse not to carry spare ammo then don't. If you just want to play the odds then, most cops will never pull their gun in a thirty year career, so you needn't bother carrying at all. In most situations where sidearms are pulled their mere presence is enough to dispel the threat and no shots are fired, so you don't need to load the gun at all. Anyone out there pack an empty gun? I don't carry because of the odds but because of the potential. I don't wear a seatbelt because it is the law but because I have seen the results of vehicle accidents. Don't get tied into thinking there is only one right way. Expect to change your opinion over the years.

6 rounds of .357 is generally all I have. At 57, I'm not foolish enough to think I could survive a shootout requiring more than that. If I was knowingly going into a high risk area I would take the 2 speedloaders, but in a confrontation my plan would be to take 2-3 quick but accurate shots and then rely on the Hush Puppies.
If you want to walk around with an arsenal on your body, go for it. I figure with 6 I've got, knowledge, experience and the will to do whatever I have to do to protect my own and survive, I'm better off than 99.5% of the people out there.

I also use a revolver, and avoid 'magazine failure issues'. The M&P is great for shooting at the range, but I prefer the revolver's reliability for when it counts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back